Rappers/mcs i need your opinion on when you source beats

DEVIZE@BEATBROKERZ

www.soundclick.com/DEVIZE
I Had a talk to the owner at beatbrokerz about labeling beats these days. Myself Im one of the originators of the whole "Online Selling Beat Fad" so we named em whatever came to mind like " DEATH NOTE" or " CRUIZIN" to define the anticipated vibe of that beat.
Nowadays they label them "west coast beat - bla blah" or " drake type beat - blah blah"
As a rapper/mc i am asking for your honest opinion when you search for beats online what appeals to you more?
or a combination of both like West is Best - West Coast beat ?

any feedback is appreciated

thoughts

I think people prefer the beats written drake type,or metrobooming type etc coz that way they know what to expect and i think it's okay to give the beats titles of your own as long as its specified hi hop,rnb etc

I only name my beats type beats because no one will find them if I don't do that. It's hard for me to do that sometimes though because a lot of my beats don't sound like anybody else so it's kinda hard to figure what type beat it is most of the time. Oh well...

A rappers perspective: Does my head in when I see beats labeled this way, seems unprofessional. Why would I want to sound like drake if I'm a serious rapper? I don't need to know your beat is epic. Tell me what main instruments you're using and label the tempo to save me time browsing then name the type of emotion you think it brings forward.

E.g.
Fast violin, big chorus, aggressive beat 100bpm.

Tells me everything I need to know but if you're trying to get views then you need a catchy title I guess.

Edit: if none of your beats are original and they all sound like carbon copies of other artists styles I'm not going to take you seriously as a producer.

Last edited:
Back