Whats good its Mysto from Mysto & Pizzi!

Welcome. Its great to see someone making it into the industry on fp. I have a couple questions

1) How many tracks a day would u guys say that u average and how do u keep from going into creative blocks?

2) How important would you say that mixing is even if the tracks are just beats?

3) Would you mind criticing some of my material?
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182448
www.myspace.com/xmandalegend
I've had a few friends of mine as well as a few people on this site who say I'm industry ready but I'm not quite sure I'm there yet. Am I just being overly judgemental of my tracks?

Last edited:
Nice to meet you! I have a question. What is the best way for us young cats, like me (14 years old) to get our music heard. Myspace, Soundclick, Beatmaking videos? What is the best way to get attention from artists and maybe even record companies. I know i have a long road ahead of me, but I think if i keeep at it, i can make it. Check my myspace if you ever get a chance.

Welcome to FP homie.:cheers: Hope you got a flame proof Gore-Tex and some strong fingers for typing, you gonna be busy for the first few weeks youre here with haters, naysayers and people with questions. Like posted above, dont let it run you off, FP is a great site. 1.

Hey Mysto how are u doing? Glad u signed up on FP! I still remember when I asked u a question on tjs like 1 year ago and u hit me back on myspace with that reply.. man u guys are the truth!!...keep doing ur thing - I wish u nothing but success

Hola chico Mysto! :) I talked to Alex a while ago ;) .
Out of curiosity, if being a talented producer that plans to send his/her material to places (labels, artists, etc.), how many tracks should be on the cd, and should the songs that were done with artists (collabos with independents) be on the same cd or should the producer enclose an extra cd that holds the tracks with vocals?

wow one of my question to you mysto is why you guys never placed any records with Rhea. I think she is way more talented than Cassie ( no offense) but she is heavily grinding too. She seems to do a lot of stuff with Eric Sanicola ( who is dope also) I was just wondering how come you guys aint drop no official joints.. and what's up with Uness? You guys did too hot joints with him where are they?

Welcome to fp!!! :cheers:

How many beats do you guys make a day, week, etc...

also what are your day-to-day activities in the Music Industry? (I'm sure it's more than making beats all day...lol )

welcome man....you two are some of the only young producers that i rate.....along with me......cory, e hudson (do your research), bei major and a few others.
2007 has begun.....good luck

Garbz

Whats good Garbz! heard about you havent got a chance to hear your stuff yet though, will check later..

As far as all the questions, Imma come back on here later on (working right now with pizz, we work everyday for like 6-7 hrs a day) to answer all the questions since i see theres a pretty big amount ;) imma try to answer most of the ones that i can, anyway check back later, peace...

Closing this thread from Mysto's word.

He'll be back later on in the night to answer the questions, no definate time, but he will PM me to open it once he's ready.

Thanks for understanding. :cheers:

THREAD CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE BY ME.

First off, wassup to ChrisTheProducers and Precious P, didnt forget you, i have a pretty good memory.

How me and pizzi met and started: Basically about maybe 3-4 yrs ago we met through a mutual friend/rapper who goes by the name of Trajik(www.myspace.com/trajikonline). I started making tracks from him and he pizzi did
too. Then i started hearing the joints Traj was recording on pizzi's beats and i was feelin them. Mainly because they werent samples, all original, which is what i was doing too at the same time. Both my parents are musicians and so my parents really didnt respect sampling (which i originally started doing). So in order
to get my parents approval and respect i had to play my own stuff. Anyway back to the story, one day Traj brought pizzi with him to my crib/studio and we just talked and set up another day to meet up and maybe work on something. Then after that we started working closer together on Traj's tracks. The fluid workflow just kinda happened on its own, i had ideas, pizzi had ideas, we blended them together. Its not always fluid though lol, sometimes pizzi might go somewhere with a beat where im not too crazy about and vice versa but it
usually works out in the end.

Xabiton: 1. we usually have an average of about 1-2 tracks a day, sometimes only a 1/2 of a track all depends on the hours we put in. Also sometimes we just leave the track and come back the next day. As far as creative blocks everyone gets them and the best is to just work through them, or like me personally, i just do something else to take my mind off of it, like play my Nintendo Wii ;). But working through them is good too because even though you might end up with some wack or average beats, who knows, you might come up with some ideas that you can re-use later on in something else.
2. Umm i guess mixing is important but truthfully dont spend too much time doing it, we dont mix our joints at all. The only mixing we do is while we are working on the joint, we keep everything in balance where we want it, once we're done with the beat then its a wrap, we dont mix anything else. As long as it sounds ok and the point comes across correct, your good. A&R's do complain sometimes saying our mixes arent all that, but hey, once they pick a joint and the artist gets on it, then its official mixing time anyway and we just let the pro's handle it (although even the pro's dont always get it the way we want it and we have to do a bunch of back and forth type stuff like our lets make love remix mis down session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_99ZqXRsrE ).

Cinnat 4: Umm one thing i learned over time is that breaking through and making it takes time. No lie, when i was like 16 i thought by the time i was 18 i was gonna be famous, yea right!. 21 now and still nowhere near it. Its a long road but everyone must travel it because half of this production thing is music, but the other half is all business. So approach it like a business. Come up with interesting new innovative ways to promote yourself as well make sure you get yourself a manager, and i dont mean your best friend or your boy who wants to manage you, but preferably someone who has some kind of connects and can work them. Maybe a big time club promoter or something, someone who has access to major artists and would be willing to promote your music etc.. Finally, remember, looking for attention from artists is just 1 route, make sure your tryna get attention of A&R's as well @ like A&R seminars or producer/artist seminars, etc... Hope that helps.
next....lol

Precious P: I would say def. have 2 cd's, one with beats and the other with songs and have them labeled right. Also be careful sending beat cd's to artists, especially rappers. Alot of the time they get on beats of yours and put out mixtapes and you really cant do anything about it. Real waste of a track, especially if the artist is wack and doesnt give you credit (in which most cases they dont, people forget to credit producers most of the time on mixtapes). Sending to A&R's is much safer because they're all about business. Also, make sure you only put like 5-10 joints max. I know that is hard for most upcoming producers, i know it was for us, **** we used to give a beat cd with like 30 joints. The problem with alot of joints is that chances are 1. A&R wont even get passed joint 5, 2. The A&R might like joint 2 & 4 but really not like 8 and up which might make him think your not consistent and 3. Too many beats drown out people ears' to where everything sounds the same after a while. SO yea, pick like your best 5-10 joints, straight crazy ones and if they even like 1-3 out of them ,you want them guessing to see what else you got. Having 30 joints makes you seem too hungry.

WhizKid: Umm we're cool with Rhea and will eventually have some stuff with her, we just havent really gotten around to working on some new stuff, Dont Worry :) . Shes also not signed yet so technically we cant "Place" songs with her yet, we can only give her joints. As far as UneSS thats our boy hehe we chill alot with him. He just got his deal with NextSelection. What people dont know is that he is a Producer, Song Writer and Artist. He is pretty much self-contained. The joints we co-produced with him or the ones he wrote for us like "Over" are not gonna be for him, at his request we are shopping those to like Chris Brown or something. Those songs are really not his style. Now we never know what can end up happening, maybe one day he'll wake up and want the songs for himself ;) we really want him to use "One Last Dance" for himself. But Anyway we're prolly gonna be co-producing some new stuff for his album, but most likely majority of the album is gonna be produced by him.

JSLmusic: We make like maybe 3-4 a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. Thats 3-4 finished joints, with Verses, B-Parts, Hook & Bridges - which are all seperate parts btw with different chord progressions so its not like we work around the same loop. Day to day activities are usually work everyday (Mon-Fri) from 1pm - 8pm or so, weekends we're off. Alex (our manager) sets up meetings and goes by himself usually or with us depending on the agenda. Now school starts next week for me and pizzi already began so our schedules get a little thrown off and we prolly gonna end up working like 3-4 days a week instead of 5. But you know what, if you really look at it, we're pretty much Makin beats all day :) . And then the occasional studio sessions to lay something down with a writer or whatever. Meetings at labels are fun. Speaking of which, got a meeting @ Jive tomorrow actually, dunno what its about yet but hopefully some good news.

K hope that answers all the questions for now..i did my best, just finished working, gonna go relax for a little while and then sleep cause we got a meeting with Mr. Wayne Williams again @ Jive Records tomorrow early. Hope its some good news...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mysto said:
K hope that answers all the questions for now..i did my best, just finished working, gonna go relax for a little while and then sleep cause we got a meeting with Mr. Wayne Williams again @ Jive Records tomorrow early. Hope its some good news...

I hope it goes well... :cheers:

so you guys are in college as well???

What's you majoring in...

Last edited:
Pizzi is in studio engineering i believe, i go to a business school and majoring in Management of Music Enterprises > hard asss classes, all business but it pays off ;) since being a production team and running a production company is all business. Like for example, we're just now about to open up our L.L.C. Every producer has to/or at least should have one. Basically once you start placing records with the big labels, everytime they pay you, you have to report that in your taxes. So if you make like $20,000 a year thats alot, and if you have an L.L.C you can write off alot of it, because instead of you getting those $20,000 personal income, your company is making the $20,000 and you are just getting a paycheck from your own company. Pretty interesting stuff once it gets broken down. But yea, any producers who are real serious about producing as a career make sure you invest the $1,500 to get a nice L.L.C (its cheaper then 1,500, but once you have your lawyer do it + lawyer fee's it comes out around there, but trust me, you dont wanna do it yourself) and make sure you trademark your name at some point.

Good deal!

So all the things that a production company need to do are basically...(extra promo things included)

Copyright Tracks (Form SR)
Register as LLC * I sign myself * lmao...
Trademark Ficticious Name/Logo Image
Myspace (free promotion)
Business Cards with Logo
Publishing (ASCAP, BMI)
Business Phone #

anything else guys?.......

Mysto said:
Pizzi is in studio engineering i believe, i go to a business school and majoring in Management of Music Enterprises > hard asss classes, all business but it pays off ;) since being a production team and running a production company is all business. Like for example, we're just now about to open up our L.L.C. Every producer has to/or at least should have one. Basically once you start placing records with the big labels, everytime they pay you, you have to report that in your taxes. So if you make like $20,000 a year thats alot, and if you have an L.L.C you can write off alot of it, because instead of you getting those $20,000 personal income, your company is making the $20,000 and you are just getting a paycheck from your own company. Pretty interesting stuff once it gets broken down. But yea, any producers who are real serious about producing as a career make sure you invest the $1,500 to get a nice L.L.C (its cheaper then 1,500, but once you have your lawyer do it + lawyer fee's it comes out around there, but trust me, you dont wanna do it yourself) and make sure you trademark your name at some point.

Okay, so here's a scenario... a young producer eager to get into the game... He feels his music his ready (i.e. sounds commerical)...

What should be the first step: Finding a manager??

Last edited:
Thats the step i would take (did take lol) but you dont necessarily need a manager, you can manage yourself. It makes sense to get a manager that has access to stuff you dont, labels, A&R's, artists, etc..If you get a manager like someone you know (a friend or basically someone whose not connected or has contacts) then chances are your better off doing it yourself until you find a person/manager who is connected and willing to help you. Also you can just find beat brokers or people whose job is to get your stuff placed, which ever comes first. But in general your gonna need a manager at some point anyway.

hey thanks for all your helpfulness. Can you recommend how one should go about getting management and share a little of how you attained that?

Not sure if i could recommend, but the way we did is this. I knew a friend who knew someone who ran a club promotion company/owned a studio. Started hanging around there and met up with our current manager. He liked our joints and had the necessary connects to shop the beats to artist. We never really sold any beats for a long time giving out beat cd's because our stuff just wasnt as hot, overtime though eventually our beats got nice enough and by that time we had already established a nice number of connects and people that we're willing to help out, such as big DJ's and other Club promoters. And eventually that led to our 2 song placement on Nina Sky's mixtape, which in turn gave us the leverage we needed to move on and set up meetings. Basically, when your music is hot, and you know it could compete head to head with whatever is out on radio, then you will get noticed. If people are not paying attention then chances are you still havent perfected your sound to its fullest potential. its a constant grind. Right now our stuff is nice enough to get us into meetings and maybe get a placement here and there but its not at its fullest potential otherwise we would have a placement everywhere we went ;)

PlanetHitzProduction said:
Good deal!

So all the things that a production company need to do are basically...(extra promo things included)

Copyright Tracks (Form SR)
Register as LLC * I sign myself * lmao...
Trademark Ficticious Name/Logo Image
Myspace (free promotion)
Business Cards with Logo
Publishing (ASCAP, BMI)
Business Phone #

anything else guys?.......

Sign up With BMI or Ascap twice (publisher and writer accounts has to be separate to be paid correctly)

Visit Score and Sba

They'll help you with your business start-up... (Free)

Fax Machine, printer,(who doesn't have a printer lol) a sound system to give your music a good listen... (Sometimes you gotta listen without headphones IMO)

Quicken

lots of money...

knowledge of how to run a business.. (obviously...lol)

Business Plan Pro

Some type of electronic planner/phone (doesn't have to be a black berry, just something to get the job done...)

That's all I can think of for now... lol

Mysto said:
Not sure if i could recommend, but the way we did is this. I knew a friend who knew someone who ran a club promotion company/owned a studio. Started hanging around there and met up with our current manager. He liked our joints and had the necessary connects to shop the beats to artist. We never really sold any beats for a long time giving out beat cd's because our stuff just wasnt as hot, overtime though eventually our beats got nice enough and by that time we had already established a nice number of connects and people that we're willing to help out, such as big DJ's and other Club promoters. And eventually that led to our 2 song placement on Nina Sky's mixtape, which in turn gave us the leverage we needed to move on and set up meetings. Basically, when your music is hot, and you know it could compete head to head with whatever is out on radio, then you will get noticed. If people are not paying attention then chances are you still havent perfected your sound to its fullest potential. its a constant grind. Right now our stuff is nice enough to get us into meetings and maybe get a placement here and there but its not at its fullest potential otherwise we would have a placement everywhere we went ;)

so you're in college full time; how do you balance it out?? Do you have to skip class to go to meetings? lol

Last edited:
Hey Mysto, what's good

Great to see that even talented producers like you, that are really getting there, still take the time to answer questions like this! That's really cool.

Funny to read that you don't do any mix work except for the simple mixing work required when making the beat. I'm having a problem with that at the moment, since i make beats, but feel that they should be mixed better before i put them on, say, a beat cd. I feel that my chances of getting noticed also depend on how good the mixing job is of the beats. Did you notice that this is true why'll you were trying to get noticed? Or is it so accepted that the mixing work is left to the professional sound engineers, that people like ryan leslie just don't even listen to the quality of the mixing job, but just listen to the beats?

And how does this mixing then take place? Do ryan leslie's mixing engineers just take over after a certain point?

Thanks a million for answering these questions!

Back