Views on the new look site

friend if you really want to help then try not to find FAULTS in the new site but rather look for areas where you suggestions may help mano1 IMPROVE upon the site. and as mild mannered as i am i may toast you with flames if i took the time to type a couple THOUSAND lines of code just so that i could have a means of being greeted by your "warm" comments. what a tribute to the use of this site you have made by offending someone who was thinking about YOU when they made this. i hope you dont go crushing the heards of those more impressionable in the review forums. my tip to you is that you roll of the low to mid bass frequency in the vocal bandwidth of the tone you take when speaking to people that you are trying to "help".
(take the bass out of your voice) be well and learn from this mistake and you're gonna be ok.

Cruel Hoax said:

You bet! No worries man thanks for trying to help out. I appreciate any input, good or bad :)

I got my ears wide open and a word document with a bunch of indented lists of bullets (TODO this and that!)

PEACE

:cheers:

I understand the need for delimiting certain areas (and it's made, for example, each post easier to distinguish from the next due to the darker outer border "flowing in".) But it really does require more work of your readers/contributers to use it when it's oriented "taller" rather than "wider".

It'd be nice if the site could put the dark borders, say, 1/2" from the edge of the window. That'd make things much easier for those of us who prefer to fit maximum info into one window: We'd just make the parent window really wide (and read others in the second monitor, right?)

-Hoax

j-traxx, I really am trying to help. It's just that, as a sometime-producer myself, I realize that somebody telling me "this mix loses half of its punch when I play it on the little boom-box in the kitchen" is going to be more helpful than a hundred friends who tell me "yo, man, that's the best thing I've ever heard!"

I really do like this site, and I'm not trying to belittle mano's work. S/he asked for opinions, and I'm trying to give those in a way that lets folks know how I think it could be made better, without mindlessly criticizing something just because it's different.

-Hoax

i hope you dont go crushing the heards of those more impressionable in the review forums.

I really try not to post when I don't have something useful to say. Even when I think somebody's post is ridiculous, I choose to just ignore it.

-Hoax

Cruel Hoax said:
j-traxx, I really am trying to help. It's just that, as a sometime-producer myself, I realize that somebody telling me "this mix loses half of its punch when I play it on the little boom-box in the kitchen" is going to be more helpful than a hundred friends who tell me "yo, man, that's the best thing I've ever heard!"

I really do like this site, and I'm not trying to belittle mano's work. S/he asked for opinions, and I'm trying to give those in a way that lets folks know how I think it could be made better, without mindlessly criticizing something just because it's different.

-Hoax

i agree with your point about everyone telling someone something is the best they had blindly but theres a difference between "stupid big borders" and "borders that lack funcionality" if you get my drift. anyway this post is just so i can shake your hand and say everything is peace with me buddy. i know you were trying to help by the amount of detail you put into your posts and made some good suggestions but the way you put it was kinda harsh. that is all. peace.

fixed! thanks for looking for those ;)

(typo on the forums home page)

I made the area at the top much smaller too.

The posts text area is wider too, if you notice - I am sticking with the big empty spacing for now though... let everybody "Stew" with those a bit. I really understand how osme may feel pissed and shocked, and I am also confident that it is something you may start seeing more and more out there... Because it really does help tracking the eye, like looking around the map of a city, where you see the different blocks, etc.. anyways :)

I have like 100 things in my TODO list right now so stay tuned :)

Peace, j-traxx.

I've had one of those God-is-squishing-my-head weeks and, correspondingly, my verbal finesse is at its ebb, to say it best.

I'm just trying to give a fresh perspective here, and I don't really mean to offend. I mean everything I say to be useful, even if sometimes I'm drunken and rude.

I do appreciate you standing up for your guy, mano, but I'm honestly not trying to tear his work down, just make it better.

-Hoax

In case this got lost:

mano 1 said:

>> PEACE?

You bet! No worries man thanks for trying to help out. I appreciate any input, good or bad :)

I got my ears wide open and a word document with a bunch of indented lists of bullets (TODO this and that!)

PEACE

:cheers:

Regarding the Reviews section: it'd be nice if the "Post a Review" link was larger, maybe located at the end of the list of existing reviews.

Also, maybe there could be an orientation paragraph: I ended up typing my whole review into the first text box, then scrolled down (doh!) and saw that there were other fields. I tried to just submit it as is, like on harmony-central, but each and every field was required to have something in it. Maybe you could find a way to let folks know the structure first?

-Hoax

thanks for the input.

I am planning to make it look a bit like the forum (reply) for people to add reviews to an already reviewed item.

note also that there is a kickass visualization graph coming up soon, for the average scores at the top. Didnt have time for that (its been a lot of work)

Yeah, overall graph would be great! There's a graph in existing reviews but, since all the pieces I've tried to get info on have only a single review, I assumed that it was an overall average.

-Hoax

yep.. actually i already did it on the old site but i didnt have time to port it over to the new system.

anyways

you can send me PMs maybe it's easier to keep track of things. Threads get out of control :)

Staff,

I made a comment earlier about the site being too dark. Do you all plan on lightening up the colors or will you be leaving it like this. This is a really good forum and think the colors should be more uplifting. I'm on the Internet all day working from home and as you know most sites have a much lighter design so when I browse in it takes me about 5-10 mins for my eyes to adjust now. You know the feeling when your in a bright room and walk into a dark room and cant see anything? Drives me nuts. :( Hope some of you can relate to me. The design is fine but I think the colors need changing.

Thanks,
Mike

No, really?

Har har har! Awright, maybe I'll do that as I se more things. Really, the width vs. height issue was the thing that hit me first (and continues to do so).

Thanks for the effort! We all appreciate it.

-Hoax

sausey said:
Staff,

I made a comment earlier about the site being too dark. Do you all plan on lightening up the colors or will you be leaving it like this. This is a really good forum and think the colors should be more uplifting. I'm on the Internet all day working from home and as you know most sites have a much lighter design so when I browse in it takes me about 5-10 mins for my eyes to adjust now. You know the feeling when your in a bright room and walk into a dark room and cant see anything? Drives me nuts. :( Hope some of you can relate to me. The design is fine but I think the colors need changing.

Thanks,
Mike

This will remain the defaults, HOWEVER I am planning to look into providing users with multiple "tints" of the same design/UI.

THis way you might pick a yellow one, or white, or red, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have all the time in the world so it won't be for a while.

I've learnt through the years that it's basicaly impossible to please everybody. Any bright design gets haters who post "give us grey/black!" and vice versa :)

...Sorry, man, but I can't figure out how to send PMs now.

So: The "tabs" at the top of each page - the "outline" of each (displayed when you click it) doesn't match with the actual graphically displayed tab.

Minor detail, for sure, and one that should've gone via PM. How?

-Hoax

Cruel Hoax said:
...Sorry, man, but I can't figure out how to send PMs now.

So: The "tabs" at the top of each page - the "outline" of each (displayed when you click it) doesn't match with the actual graphically displayed tab.

Minor detail, for sure, and one that should've gone via PM. How?

-Hoax

Damn man do you need to be so sarcastic when you post?

The tabs work great. Some CSS tricks result with what you describe.

And hey.. take down that signature, not cool for my girl smartie ok?

Back