Views on the new look site

and what is with that color anyway??.....last one was more better....

Takin from smartie's thread...
DaOriginalBlade said:
I love it.. I like how every post has it's own little box and there is space between (I feel important.. ha). And the colors are a HUGE improvement from the old "murder scene" color scheme. Hmm... dandy.. nice work mano.
I did notice one thing tho.. its not really an issue in my case. But what happened to the "profile, website, and search" link boxes at the bottom of each person's post??

Last edited:
hey mano, again....goooood work =]]]]

but dude, you gonna write ALL the reviews and tutorials?! those are f'ing ill and i'm knee deep in reading them, but you're gonna break your back if you do all those by yourself...recruit some folks to help you man! =P

DaOriginalBlade said:
Takin from smartie's thread...

I did notice one thing tho.. its not really an issue in my case. But what happened to the "profile, website, and search" link boxes at the bottom of each person's post??

(mano on smartie's computer)

Click on the poster's name (new)

... clearing up the clutter, less is more :)

concealed said:
and what is with that color anyway??.....last one was more better....

(mano from smartie's computer)

AHAHAH it's so funny how NO MATTER what colors you use.. there will always be about the same number of people posting "what the hell?" in the forums ;)

I'm happy with it - there are a few things I will improve over the next few days, but I wanted ot FINALLY launch it - love it or hate it, it was A LOT of work

:)

Thanks to everyone for the support, and feedback (good or bad)

dude i keep finding cool stuff around the site...the tutorials, the reviews, the gear, t-shirts....

it's like friggin christmas =] you like, quadrumplid the coolness of the site.

Very nice job, it's impressive to see all the work that was put into this. It's funny to see that these are the exact same complaints/complements during the last big change at FP. Am I right to assume that there are still changes being made in the site layout such as the buttons etc? I think the nicest addition is the store, which I hope is going to be added to with more colors .. Good job to everyone involved.

P.S. On the top of the form view it says the form name three times in big letters, it seems a bit redundant unless of course your using that space for announcements or something.

Last edited:
The new color is nice. The warm scheme was more to my personal taste, but that's all it was: personal taste.

Interface design? Now that could use some work.

What's the difference between "Features" and "Resources"? I looked for Reviews under Resources. Nope, they're a Feature. Hmm.

Maybe you could make the borders sense the edges of our windows. Yeah, "Lots of white space" works for printed documents, but our computer monitors are lit from within, thanks. If this were a printed magazine, it'd be nice. Magazine pages are taller than they are wide. On a printed page, these designs would look fine. As it is, however, computer monitors are wider than they are tall. Requiring the default dimensions of a standard window (Mac and PC) to display 25% useless space is absurd. It requires more work from your readers (in the form of scrolling) rather than less, which is completely contrary to good interface design. When I visit my old "Forums" bookmark, I can't actually see a single forum name without scrolling.

Please, please make those borders of variable size. The new site looks slicker, but is actually more work to use. You can only see a single person's post, rather than being able to take in the context of a discussion without scrolling up and down. To encompass several people's posts in your own as you answer, you're required to move repeatedly from typing to scrolling, to scrolling back, to typing, to scrolling...

The new look is fine, but the experience has suffered. Merely my opinion.

-Hoax

There is the Review of Reason 1.0 on the first page of "Features", though. Useful to somebody in a third world country who has never heard of soft synths, maybe. And who has no internet access for updat-- oh, wait. If they have no internet access they can't be reading this.

-Hoax

All right, that was mean. but I just have no patience for poor interface design, whether in a synth, a piece of software, a tool, or a web page.

...and the faded borders take several seconds to load. Yes, many of us are still using dial-up. Any chance of making them smaller and just tiling them?

-Hoax

Cruel Hoax said:
I just have no patience for poor interface design, whether in a synth, a piece of software, a tool, or a web page.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out

BTW that Reason review was done in 2001..if you could see beyond your ignorance and read the date.

Thanks for the quick dismissal, even though all I've tried to do since coming here is to help people.

I really am trying to help make this a better place for all of us. Please try not to take it personally.

-Hoax

I did read the date. That's why I questioned its appearance on the front page of the "Features" section. It seems to me that maybe "Features" is meant to be like a "new news and cool stuff" section, in which case this might be better moved to the Review section.

-Hoax

Just as you were quick to dismiss and diss the hard work that went into this site. YES..I do take it personally.

...and you may want to consider making new versions of the "folder" icons (you know, stuffed-full, flaming, etc., that kinda categorize a thread) that fit with the new blue-green scheme. They're pretty much all orange and red, or at least yellow. You could make a blue flame for the "on fire" threads, etc.

-Hoax

Grmfhgg

We launched the thing THIS MORNING and I am now going through all the feedback and am typing all the improvements I am planning to implement over the next few weeks.

And sorry but no, this is not POOR interface design. The spacing makes everything clearly delimited without using harsh bordering all over the place (i know 200X has been bevel-paradise all over the net but let me do my thing here).

As I said I am typing all the feedback in, like a good boy, taking it all as constructive, etc. So thanks for the input.

Look, man, I'm really not trying to criticize for the sake of criticizing. I understand that this stuff takes work, and I appreciate that. I've had many a client tell me after a final mix "that's fine, but maybe we could try it a little faster? And in F rather than A?", so I know what this kind of stuff means in terms of "do-you-know-how-freaking-long-I-spent-doing-this?".

I'm just giving first impressions and trying to help.

Sorry for the "poor interface design" comment, as it's not meant to be a reflection on your work here. Just a way I see that the place could be made better.

Peace?

-Hoax

Back