''Server to busy atm please try....''

Ilgit

Allright,

This really is making me crazy atm.

Thats the only msg I get when im trying to read some threads here.

Im a member now for 4 years and ofcourse I know that FP is growing lately but when I look at the people browsing the forums, it really isnt that much to make the servers overload.

Am I the only one here having these msg'es al the time?

I just want to read the forums :(

The reason this happens is due to the search function. As time goes on the loads on the servers get pretty big when doing searches since the entire database has to be searched.

Before, the site would hand and you'd get multiple posts when posting and that kind of thing. Now instead of the search function trying to force itself you have to wait until the server loads are down.

This was the reason that Mano had the google alternative for doing searches. Obviously this wasn't popular with the more vocal members so the old search came back. And with that, the message that the server is too busy at times.

All you can really do is give things some time. Mano is constantly thinking of ways to improve the site so it's only a matter of time.

When I get those messages, and it's not often, I am usually able to access the site right after.

the rest of the site works when this happens...

how about taking 10 minutes to review all your equipment (USER REVIEWS section) and boost that "reviews counter" of yours up?

:)

I get that message a lot.

i usually just wait a couple minutes and then it works fine.

mano, how does the search function work? does it cache every search that is logged?

im just wondering, because im semi-interested in that stuff.

There is a word table that knows which post have which word, etc.

its not my code - that is the ONLY piece of the site that isn't 100% coded from scratch by me AND I HATE IT.

I am sick right now so talk to you later :) ... it's just that FP is BIG and that most BIG site run on maaany servers, not just 1 server.

mano 1 said:
I am sick right now so talk to you later :) ... it's just that FP is BIG and that most BIG site run on maaany servers, not just 1 server.

Take care of youself mano... your health is a lot more important that replying to error message messages.

and the one server thing is because Fp is badassed. plain and simple.

It's weird because usually when I get this server error it's like 3 in the morning (california). There's hardly anyone in the entire US on FP at that time (between 6am and 3am)! I am perplexed. :)

how big is the Database Mano?
How much space does it take up?

mistaox said:

16000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 bytes

mistaox said:

Well there are many databases actually. The forum one is multiple gigabytes, mainly due to the "search table"

Search is not separated from the rest (posts, threads, etc) so you can "feel" search running when someone is using it.

The size of the db is fine - it's just that AS I SAID MANY TIMES the forum search is TOO GEEKY when you really DO NOT need that much geeky details...

Expect to NOT see this "search topic" or "from this user" stuff in the future. A simple search field is all there will be.

Results will be RELEVANT to what you typed. That is ALL which should count.

I *may* leave the crazy-slow-geeky search as a last-resort option on the site, but I won't promote it like it's the cool search to use.

Back