20 posts to post a link is too many.

N

NateButch

I signed up to get help for a specific problem. I needed to post a link as an example, but it told me I needed to post twenty times before I was able to post links.

I get that those things are implemented to stop trolls, but honestly who's going to troll a forum like THIS?

Maybe five posts, but twenty seems like overkill. Now I have to go post in threads I really have no interest in just to get my post count up. :/ This THREAD is here just because of the post count rule. I can't really offer any advice because I'm relatively new to the genre anyway.

Ah well.

You would be surprised - even with the measures, we still have them in abundance.

20 posts is about measuring willingness to participate and contribute - multiple one-liner posts get picked up by others and the mods and are dealt with by resetting post-counts to reflect positive contributions.

You are right it should be about quality rather than quantity.

I moderate on another forum and we limit all new posters to being moderated over their first five or so posts to eliminate spam-bots and trolling.

I recently joined another forum where I was informed that every post I made would be moderated and only after I have demonstrated consistently positive contributions will they remove this restriction.

Not every forum has the willingness nor the ability to do this though, so the 20 post count is a fair compromise between the two extremes

This is too big of a forum to moderate every user. It's not just trolls, but also and maybe especially, spambots. Also, not hard to get to 20 posts. You can point people in the direction and most questions can be asked without a link.

If you need to get your posts up go over to the Feedback Section..
You'll get 20 in no time and you will be helping people out rather than posting irrelevant things in other threads

No offense but i hardly even visit here anymore and its exactly for the reason that the 20 post req. is trying to combat. I come here now and click "todays posts"... 90% of the time all I see are posts from the feedback section. Im mos def down for giving/receiving feedback, but thats not what this site was about - so in my opinion thats not what this site should b all about. I miss the days of information sharing and seeking :( The feedback section should be used when seeking advice (granted it still is used this way in part), not used for promotional purposes. $.02

20 Post count too much? - hardly...

No offense but i hardly even visit here anymore and its exactly for the reason that the 20 post req. is trying to combat. I come here now and click "todays posts"... 90% of the time all I see are posts from the feedback section. Im mos def down for giving/receiving feedback, but thats not what this site was about - so in my opinion thats not what this site should b all about. I miss the days of information sharing and seeking :( The feedback section should be used when seeking advice (granted it still is used this way in part), not used for promotional purposes. $.02

20 Post count too much? - hardly...

Not a forum I visit often, but definitely something worth looking into. I'll check it out. You're right that it shouldn't be used purely for spamming.

I think most mods have an open door policy. So you can always bring up concerns to any active mods and we'll address them and/or discuss them with other moderators and administrators.

The 20 post minimum to be able to post a link is really a compromise. You cannot imagine the amount of spam we get here. Plus there are people who just sign up to promote themselves and push people to their 'sites', and don't want to contribute anything. So unfortunately because of these people others like you have to pay the price. But, you can always put a link in your signature...

mm, 20 posts is still to much, but new producers need to get a place where to can express their work to others, and this is just a good place for it..

I come here now and click "todays posts"... 90% of the time all I see are posts from the feedback section.

Yo my fault for taking this thread off-topic, but I agree with this. It is annoying.

I dunno the technology to know whether or not this is even possible... but a great feature would be for you to be able to like check/uncheck boxes from each of the subforums to see only new posts from the forums you like.

10 posts shall be enough. Someone wanting to get promoted or a bad spammer will do 40 posts if needed.
It's kinda the job of mods and admins to delete any spam, even if that's really hard.
But I can support both sides because, 20 posts is a lot when you need help, that rule screwed me up on informatic sites while I was having an urgency, you couldn't even post screenshots. But in a music site that shouldn't be the problem.

20 posts is only a lot when u don't have anything to contribute to the site. If all u come here for is answers to your questions then yes its a lot but there are sections here like teh music break room where you can engage in convo to get your post count up.

I agree that 20 posts is a bit overkill and I think it makes people spam post to get their post count up just so they can post the links they want, something that is kinda counter intuitive.

Last edited:
meh seems like a lot, but there is alot of activity on the site if you are really into the whole producing scene. I have just been looking at all the sections trying to get my posts up, but there is some good stuff out there to add to. im really new, but how do you change your pic or edit signature? when i click my picture in my profile settings page nothing happens....

same problem here, you get people to talk bullshit on this way

Back