Why dont we actually get to see WHO liked a post???

Comments of your own stuff yeah, but not other peoples' comments (as far as I know at least).

Why wouldn't this be public information? If you didn't want people to know, you shouldn't have clicked the LIKE button!

you can't see it on the page which is kinda goofy i agree

but if you go to your notifications on the top look at the drop down you can choose to see who liked and what posts they liked.

I have a theory - if you know who actually liked something you might give the post more weight than it deserves, i.e. if someone like a moderator likes something, it may be thought to be something of importance when in fact they may have liked the joke that was in the post. Myself I have several (20+) likes from someone who I believe when they like a thread, because of the topic or the question asked, just likes every post in the thread except their own - i.e. they are not discriminating between good and bad posts in a thread just that the thread itself is good.

^^^ that may be true... but who cares???

People should be able to choose for themselves what is and isnt important. It shouldn't be a secret who liked a post. What's the point of the LIKE button at all then???

Cuz isn't the exact opposite also true? Like "oh, this has 3 likes, so it must be good" but maybe one of those likes is the poster themselves and the other two are idiots who don't know shit.

We should be able to judge for ourselves like, you know, adults.

^^^ that may be true... but who cares???

People should be able to choose for themselves what is and isnt important. It shouldn't be a secret who liked a post. What's the point of the LIKE button at all then???

Cuz isn't the exact opposite also true? Like "oh, this has 3 likes, so it must be good" but maybe one of those likes is the poster themselves and the other two are idiots who don't know shit.

We should be able to judge for ourselves like, you know, adults.

honestly i don't even get the point of the like button.

this is a forum. who cares. the ignore button yes. but like? oh hey guys my post got the most likes on FP...

shoot me in the head if you ever hear me say that.

hook, line and sinker - It was a facetious attempt to wake the admins out of their lethargy and deny or confirm the hypothesis - unfortunately the internet has no tone when read or written to, so you don't get the subtle inflections of speech that mark out sarcasm from truths.....

I don't get the point of the liking thing either, but since it's there, it does suck how it seems to only kind of work.

it is an equivalent of Reputation or MC status or what have, some forums even call it karma and allow positive and negative "liking".

Yeah it probably should work better, but hey, it kind of works and some folks get some happiness out of it.....

I mean I think its useful (again, if we could see the person's name) cuz its like a cosign.

So if I post a question like what is the best VST ever and someone replies with "kontakt" and that post has 15 likes, then I can say ok a lot of people agree and if I want I can check out who agreed to see their other posts or the music they make to see how credible they are

you can see who liked your post, open your notification popup then itll show the post and the person who liked its avatar appears next to it.

it's mostly a cosmetic thing for me, i don't really mind either way. but i agree it's pretty much a co-sign button and it would help getting points across if say, a mod, 'liked' the post. plus, does the "xxxxx liked this" even show more than two people? i keep seeing "x and (insert blank space here) liked this," but i can't tell if it was more than two people lol.

Last edited:
I agree with the original poster. The way in which the ''likes'' work on here is very strange.

Last edited:
Yeah, but no-one else can know who liked a post

This is wrong ---- I discovered a way to know who and what......

I agree with the original poster. The way in which the ''likes'' work on here is very strange.

you can get a backdoor kind of look at who likes what -
go to the posters profile page
click on likes received
cross-reference back to the post concerned
hover you mouse over the avatar icon
the user name is displayed in the status bar

It is intensive and somewhat difficult but it can be done........

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

For example

the original post by worldwide was liked by infradead
the post by as20gp was liked by xabiton
the second post on jan 31 by worldwide was also liked by infradead

they should just fix it and make it work property, if not remove it. i think its useful though.

example:
- someone makes a post with whatever information it may contain
- among other people, Morning_Star, chris carter, bandcoach & moses likes it

Now someone that frequents this website would know that if someone of their knowledge likes a post, then it must be good because users like them wont bullshit with you and will tell you where you're wrong and what you should have done. for them to like a post it would be good information that you can trust.

For me it doesn't work either way, my posts or others posts

On other peoples posts:
likesm.png

On my posts:
likes2.png

and its not possible to like your own posts and i could care to do it even if it was possible...

Either fix it or remove it cause at this point its just useless...

Back