what should i get???

i am trying to decide over software or hardware. i currently own garageband and i cant produce enough hiphop from using it.(i wana make hip-hop beats). although i can make some really nice beats with the loops provided by garageband. most are techno though. i am completly inexperienced with using hardware but am willing to learn. is it too hard to learn from scratch? should i buy software instead? fruity loops or magix or something? being that theres so much affordable software out now? thanks for the help!

i am trying to decide over software or hardware. i currently own garageband and i cant produce enough hiphop from using it.(i wana make hip-hop beats). although i can make some really nice beats with the loops provided by garageband. most are techno though. i am completly inexperienced with using hardware but am willing to learn. is it too hard to learn from scratch? should i buy software instead? fruity loops or magix or something? being that theres so much affordable software out now? thanks for the help!

If there is any flagship piece of hardware in any hiphop producer's studio, it will most likely be the mpc series of samplers/sequencers. They are versatile, reliable, and sound great. Even the older units (mpc 2000 xl) still hold their ground against the array of soft samplers that are available...you can probably find a used 2000xl for around the same price you would pay for a decent software sampler...

If you dont want to make the jump to hardware just yet. Use garage band and try to find some free audio unit plugins, preferably a sampler and some old school drum machine emulators (see tr808).

Find some old funk records and sample the sh*t out of them. Drop them into your favorite sampler, chop them up and layer over some drums. Throw in some basslines, arrange a chorus...find an mc.

Back