Sort thread by function [suggestion]

interesting; to what end?

especially given that

the like system no longer exists

the thanks system is inconsistent imo

number of replies is not an indication of a good thread only that something happened to set off a wave of posting - i.e. it could indicate a feud or other negative interaction (though we do try to moderate this back to bare bones,we do not catch everything, especially if one or more of is having a break for whatever reason)

sort by number of stars may be useful but in some cases this may not actually state how useful something is especially if there have been few votes on it (some threads have 5 stars and 1 vote)

You're right, there's no metric right now to sort by how useful the thread is which is a shame. I would love to be able to go to a section I'm currently interested in and find all the old threads hidden in the depths that have helped other people. Stars are so rarely used it would be fairly pointless.

Views could be useful but the amount of rubbish it might bring up from fueds and stuff might counteract that.

Disappointing...

You're right, there's no metric right now to sort by how useful the thread is which is a shame. I would love to be able to go to a section I'm currently interested in and find all the old threads hidden in the depths that have helped other people. Stars are so rarely used it would be fairly pointless.

Views could be useful but the amount of rubbish it might bring up from fueds and stuff might counteract that.

Disappointing...

We're open to suggestions on how to improve it

Not sure how you could at this point because all the older threads would have to be gone through individually.

If you could figure out how many people bookmarked a thread that could be helpful in figuring out which ones contain the most useful information. (I've only ever bookmarked useful threads I would like to re read).

agreed there is no signal sent from a browser to a server that indicates "I have just bookmarked this page"

If you wanted reliable useful info at the top bookmarking would probably be the way to go though, it requires investment so its unlikely bad info will be at the top.

Some sites I've seen do this with a button to bookmark built into the page so they can record the amount.

If you did decide to do it this way I wouldnt disclose it and just leave the function sort into most useful by the total and you could have most recent useful threads sorted by the last bookmarked or most bookmarked in the past week/day etc.

Doesn't really solve for the old threads, not sure how you could.

Edit: you could have total number of views, total number of posts etc. Factored in together as about 20% of the total usefulness so the older threads at the start of this system get some shine so they can be put into the new system, even if it makes it a little innacurate to begin with.

Edit2: also a random thread function could be interesting and solve for the problem of older threads not getting any attention with the sort.

Edit3: you would have to lock all threads past a certain age otherwise the whole forum would be entrenched in old threads being brought back up.

Last edited:
Back