skimwords - is it really necessary to have it insert random links to random products

bandcoach

Zukatoku - Mod Scientist
Title says it all really, I have already posted a pseudo spam report on one of my posts as it has applied an out of context link to something when the statement went along the lines of "sample rate is a factor", it inserted a link based on "a factor", de-contextualising the statement made and the making it look like I'm a raving loony to boot (which I may well be, but I don't need random links in my posts making me appear even more so)

So why the need to drive advertising revenue so hard - I'm happy to pay a subscription fee to be member here, I'm happy to be a supporter and make an annual donation. Heck, I reckon most folks who use FP on a regular basis would agree to do the same

Wait, I think I can’t see this because I have some sort of plugin installed that removes all ads for me. I forgot that and just remembered. That might be a solution for you? I mean, I installed this exactly because of that, because I wanted to get rid of all the ads. I don’t see any hyperlink on „Skype“ :pointing:

funnily enough it has just done it the word skype in my post above - what's that anti-ad plugin and which browser (I use Opera 12)

Hello bandcoach- as I PM'd you, the specific post you referred to with 'factor' hyperlinked to a product is a mistake as the script we developed is not perfect and we keep adjusting as we go along. There is no advertising here. We link product names to reviews, so when people are discussing a product IF they want they can go and read editorial or user reviews. This is not in your face advertising, you can choose to use it or ignore it.

I did get the pm but well after I started this thread. I take your point about links to reviews of contextually relevant products, but it is still intrusive and the script identifies any links it inserts as "Shopping Link added by SkimWords"

I use Safari and it’s called AdBlock — but it exists for all browsers out there, I had a similar plugin when I used Firefox. Just search for „Opera ad block“ or something like that on Google :) Opera has far more „extensions“ than Safari has, so you’ll have a wider choice I guess.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

And yes those are definitely some kind of ads, or my plugins wouldn’t remove them. I personally don’t mind them since I can’t see them :D

Back