Site Improvements

Chater-La

Hi Everyone! The time has come for some FP improvements and I am opening this up for everyone to suggest/request improvements. I am more looking for technical improvements, specific features that you would like to see. But of course qualitative issues will taken into account as well.

The tabs on top are a bit messed up, we are aware of this...

Thanks for your contribution!

on the mobile site it would be cool if signatures automatically posted when you reply without having to go to advanced.

that is a preferences thing that you need to setup regardless

you can, when using the advanced reply, opt to include your sig, but you need to set your prefs to include it off a quick reply

1. Subforums for different genres under "Showcase Your Music...".
It feels like many genres are being drowned out by the huge masses that post hiphopmusic. I used to check that forum subject to find electronic music to give feedback on, but eventually I felt it took too long to actually find electronic music, and now I rarely visit that subject.

2. Set "gray / white" as default color for the site instead of "Black - default", that would make the forum look a lot more attractive for visitors to join, in my opinion.
I remember when I first found this site, the impression I got from the color selection was that this was an underground forum where I needed to watch out.
Of course I was so horribly wrong, but the thought still occured. Not telling you to completely remove the black skin, just switch the default one.

irc or other?

how do you propose it be moderated? such a place to be part of the official fp brand would need to be heavily moderated simply to keep it reasonable (inebriated rants and attacks on individuals are way too easy to occur at any time)

1. Subforums for different genres under "Showcase Your Music...".
It feels like many genres are being drowned out by the huge masses that post hiphopmusic. I used to check that forum subject to find electronic music to give feedback on, but eventually I felt it took too long to actually find electronic music, and now I rarely visit that subject.

I second this. I know electronic music isn't the main focus of FP, but I stumbled upon here when searching for actual electronic music forums. Maybe creating a subforum under "Electronica & Other Genres"? I think it would better direct people who are interested on showing their electronic music to people who are searching for it.

Bandcoach, what about a tinychat room. I don't know much about how they're run, but I've seen them a few times and I know you can appoint mods to run it.

for it to be official, fp would have to have complete control of it from start to finish, which means no 3rd party chat software that cannot be hosted on the main servers

addto that the other main problem is none of the current mods are paid and are unlikely to be paid in the future, so moderating a chat room is a labour of love and with the levels of abuse some of receive in private I don't think it is worth pursuing

yes even though edm itself could be broken down into a whole different world of categories like how the site already is, even just having one thread for electronic music even if it included everything under one roof not just showcasing. whatever works.

BUT just saying..... if there was an EDM only section. that would be where i spend 95% of my time on this site and im sure im not the only one

irc or other?

how do you propose it be moderated? such a place to be part of the official fp brand would need to be heavily moderated simply to keep it reasonable (inebriated rants and attacks on individuals are way too easy to occur at any time)

How about implimenting a reporting system that would alert any moderator online to enter the chat? - one that sends a screen shot.

Last edited:
maybe a review of current submissions to see what the breakdown is across genres

the last six months should be sufficient

the issue would then be how do we populate the new sub-forum(s) quickly and correctly (there is a vast backlog of material that may or may not be labelled well)

This is a problem. What isn't caught quickly in search will probably not make it into the new EDM forum unless somebody stumbled upon it and moved it or a user reported it.

so quick trawl across teh first page of showcase and the following genres jump out

• boom bap, chill rap, rap, trap, dirty south, etc
  • edm, electronica, ambient, trance, house
  • rnb including neo-soul, etc
  • regaae and variations
  • rock/metal/pop
  • promotional videos

I include the last one as a lot of videos are made as promotional vehicles by people to promote someone else's music; this would give us somewhere for these non-production related videos to be submitted

Yes it dilutes the showcase but given that the traffic in showcase is so high, this should not really be a problem except for low volume like maybe rock/metal/pop

as for transferring, it will only take a few weeks of daily runs through the older showcase all in one thread to populate the others fully (happy to do it to while away the hours). most cases the genre will be obvious based on artist type or other naming in the thread title. Some may require reading of the thread post, some may require messages from a mod to original poster.

I would suggest that we limit the transfer window to the last year unless there are outstanding examples that should be moved from even earlier into the less popular categories/genres

You guys need to brain storm ideas to make the songwriting section of the forum more active, i've seen it as bad as 1/2 posts a week as of late.

so quick trawl across teh first page of showcase and the following genres jump out

• boom bap, chill rap, rap, trap, dirty south, etc
  • edm, electronica, ambient, trance, house
  • rnb including neo-soul, etc
  • regaae and variations
  • rock/metal/pop
  • promotional videos

I include the last one as a lot of videos are made as promotional vehicles by people to promote someone else's music; this would give us somewhere for these non-production related videos to be submitted

Yes it dilutes the showcase but given that the traffic in showcase is so high, this should not really be a problem except for low volume like maybe rock/metal/pop

as for transferring, it will only take a few weeks of daily runs through the older showcase all in one thread to populate the others fully (happy to do it to while away the hours). most cases the genre will be obvious based on artist type or other naming in the thread title. Some may require reading of the thread post, some may require messages from a mod to original poster.

I would suggest that we limit the transfer window to the last year unless there are outstanding examples that should be moved from even earlier into the less popular categories/genres

Why don't put an informative note on the showcase main screen, to direct new submissions to the right sub-forum? This would ease the work for you, admins and mods.

I'm saying this because, at least with electronic music, there are few responses to +1 week old threads anyways. You'd need to deal with threads open on the wrong section from now on, at least.

it would make sense to actually shut the old showcase forum to new threads - allow new posts in existing threads only, but not sure to what extent vb allows us to customise that type of behaviour

Bandcoach are you aware one of the links in your signature isn't working, where it says "abnormal thoughts and insights available here".

Last edited:
"Abnormal thoughts and insights available here" is not a link - it refers to what I say at fp

Back