Site Improvements

"Abnormal thoughts and insights available here" is not a link - it refers to what I say at fp

Oh, i always considered what you said here to be well researched information rather than anything abnormal. I like strange out there ideas, you should post more of them.

Have we made any headway on whether FP is going to set up competitions? Even if it was just once a month i think that would make a good impact.

It is not a problem to close the main Showcase forum to posting and have it serve as the parent to the showcase sub-forums, thereby forcing members to post in the right genre.

It is not a problem to close the main Showcase forum to posting and have it serve as the parent to the showcase sub-forums, thereby forcing members to post in the right genre.

I think that if this action is to be done, it would be nice to set up a deadline, and put a message for the forum users remembering them of this major change. It would get FP rid of some problems of people who don't understand what's going on, when posting their music, and then flooding the mods and admins with messages of "what's going on? I can't post my music!".

enable quote notifications - this would be great for when you are leaving feedback for someone and you don't want to necessarily subscribe to the thread. You'll still be able to respond if the OP interacts with you without having to read through everyone else's feedback.

make default subscription through control panel only - *found this in preferences, nice!

display lifetime number of likes on posts - I think the like system should be reworked in some way. There's just really no incentive to even use it that I'm aware of. What benefit does having your posts like provide currently? Some sites use a karma system but I'm sure you've considered this in the past.

Last edited:
karma, likes, reputation systems are open to systematic abuse: I've seen it badly used on one site where a mod can negative like a post and as a result send the person into several 1000 negative rep points

Likes at the moment are more like pats on the backs form your peers; some are far more meaningful than others simply because of who gave them, some ar given as a matter of course by some members just thanking anyone for posting a response in their thread.

As to whether they should be publicly known or not, if you know how to navigate the labyrinth of vbulletin, you can find out

A couple things that worked for when I used to mod on another site.

When leaving feedback in the showcase section make a minimum requirement to how much needs to be written. This narrows down the uninformative posts like nice, cool, good work, that sucks, that's corny. I'd appreciate more of a small paragraph or at least a whole complete sentence of feedback. I never really posted my music here for feedback, but I have other places its so annoying when you get a "Cool...Check out my music at ____.com/xywz". Even a rating system up to 5 stars of aspects of the song like mix, structure, sound selection or whatever you'd use in short to rate a song.

Soundclick player widget to share music.

Please make sound design have its own section away from theory and composition.

Please make Tutorials, Gear Reviews & Beat making videos separate from each other. In their own sub-forums at least. Beat making videos can also fit into the showcase section if you were willing to have a small video sub section of each genre for videos.

A couple things that worked for when I used to mod on another site.

When leaving feedback in the showcase section make a minimum requirement to how much needs to be written. This narrows down the uninformative posts like nice, cool, good work, that sucks, that's corny. I'd appreciate more of a small paragraph or at least a whole complete sentence of feedback. I never really posted my music here for feedback, but I have other places its so annoying when you get a "Cool...Check out my music at ____.com/xywz". Even a rating system up to 5 stars of aspects of the song like mix, structure, sound selection or whatever you'd use in short to rate a song.

No, that must be really hard to enforce. I've been on forums like that and immediatly left after i had problems with links not working because there was a rule to post feedback of x quantity on two threads and link them. Got immediate deletion of my thread and extreme frustration, not to mention way less helpful feedback. It's better to have unkowledgable people say "yeah, cool" then have them give you long tips that either make no sense or harm your work. Plus the current system you can just ignore them and the site becomes more popular so you end up getting more useful feedback in the long run.

A section for user posted contests could be nice, especially for the lyrics section. That way it would be much less time consuming for you guys and hopefully have some cool threads.

No, that must be really hard to enforce. I've been on forums like that and immediatly left after i had problems with links not working because there was a rule to post feedback of x quantity on two threads and link them. Got immediate deletion of my thread and extreme frustration, not to mention way less helpful feedback. It's better to have unkowledgable people say "yeah, cool" then have them give you long tips that either make no sense or harm your work. Plus the current system you can just ignore them and the site becomes more popular so you end up getting more useful feedback in the long run.

all you are doing is saying you like cr@p feedback which is not really feedback at all but "hey look at me" self-promo spam

it is not only easy to enforce this type of posting (you set minimum chars to something like 64) but it will improve feedback

I would go one step further and actually impose an additional requirement that you cannot post a new linked piece of music without first having made at least 5 feedback posts in the last 7 days - it would stop a lot of the n00bs who come in, make five rubbish posts and then drop the link to their music and never ever return, or only return to drop new links to new music

A section for user posted contests could be nice, especially for the lyrics section. That way it would be much less time consuming for you guys and hopefully have some cool threads.

you guys can already do this; what would be the point of having a contests section beyond making someone feel special?

What's the point of a contest section without making people feel special? Think about it... If you want contests where people actually get involved and feel part of something i don't think random posts will work very well. Having a specific place might work better, it's just what i feel, maybe i am wrong.

noobs tend to turn into helpful people if you give them the chance, if you shut them down right away they will just leave. The character thing i didn't realise was an option for these types of forum but that would be pretty easy. Have you ever gone on a song to leave feedback and found it hard to find anything to say about it? Is it a good idea to force people who have nothing to say to write that many characters and give bad advice they're not confident in?

If i was looking for attention this certainly wouldn't be the thread i'de be posting in. I was trying to share my experience from the other side of that post count thing and the character limit. Believe it or not i like this site and would like it to get better, not worse.

What's the point of a contest section without making people feel special? Think about it... If you want contests where people actually get involved and feel part of something i don't think random posts will work very well. Having a specific place might work better, it's just what i feel, maybe i am wrong.

Have you checked out the flip this battles? https://www.futureproducers.com/for...flip/fp-flip-beat-battle-past-battles-472935/

It is at battle no 8 and is run almost entirely by the previous winners (we do some nudging here and there and move it along, but that is not a big deal)

Have a read through and understand how this came about

Similar things are possible for any other contests; all it takes is a consensus from the members and a willing moderator or two to help out

noobs tend to turn into helpful people if you give them the chance, if you shut them down right away they will just leave. The character thing i didn't realise was an option for these types of forum but that would be pretty easy. Have you ever gone on a song to leave feedback and found it hard to find anything to say about it? Is it a good idea to force people who have nothing to say to write that many characters and give bad advice they're not confident in?

N00bs should be encouraged to participate in a positive manner rather than just drop cr@p to get their postcount up.

By initiating a minimum char limit they must be genuine about the piece of music they want to comment on; i.e. if they are picking random songs to comment on then the feedback is "useless" anyway; better to encourage them to write about stuff that actually moves them.

This will force them to address individual aspects of the track rather than a generic "it's cool" or similar.

Back