A Producer With The Same Name?!?

AstralBeats

So yesterday I found out that there is another producer with the same name as me. His is Astral Beatz and mine is Astral Beats, although I go by Astral when I post things so it would be like (prod. Astral). I emailed him and tried to sort things out but he told me he had a trademark on his name. He has been producing for 7 years and I've only been producing for about a year now. I checked on uspto.gov (The United States Patent and Trademark Office) and searched his name. It says that "Astral Beatz" was not in their database. I also searched in "AstralBeatz", "AstralBeats", and "Astral Beats" to be 100% sure and they were all not in the database so I think he was trying to scare me into changing my name. Does that mean that if I want to trademark "Astral Beats" for myself, I could do it and have all rights to that name? Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you!

you could try and trademark the name but be aware that the Patent office and similar organsiations look for prior art or prior use to determine the validity of your claim; that you know that there is someone out there who has used the name for 7 years can't help your case - look carefully and consult an entertainment and business lawyer

maybe change the beats to something else, i also ran into the same problem, i use dj rayzer but theres also a rayzr and dj razor. sometimes people get me mixed up with one of them haha

So yesterday I found out that there is another producer with the same name as me. His is Astral Beatz and mine is Astral Beats, although I go by Astral when I post things so it would be like (prod. Astral). I emailed him and tried to sort things out but he told me he had a trademark on his name. He has been producing for 7 years and I've only been producing for about a year now. I checked on uspto.gov (The United States Patent and Trademark Office) and searched his name. It says that "Astral Beatz" was not in their database. I also searched in "AstralBeatz", "AstralBeats", and "Astral Beats" to be 100% sure and they were all not in the database so I think he was trying to scare me into changing my name. Does that mean that if I want to trademark "Astral Beats" for myself, I could do it and have all rights to that name? Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you!

If you've only been producing for a year now, you don't have much to lose by changing your name (especially if you don't have any paying clients).

Just change it.

Next time you come up with a name, try searching Google to see whether the name (or any deriviatives of the name, like a "z" instead of an "s") is taken.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I've been having issues with finding a name too recently, it gets pretty frustrating. Especially if you think of a name that's taken.

I would suggest using a new name. Let him have that name. Think of something more catchy and unique then register it right away, remember to also buy a website because someone will take it when they see you've made a name for yourself then extort a ridiculous price for the domain.

Last edited:
If you've only been producing for a year now, you don't have much to lose by changing your name (especially if you don't have any paying clients).

Just change it.

Next time you come up with a name, try searching Google to see whether the name (or any deriviatives of the name, like a "z" instead of an "s") is taken.

-Ki
Salem Beats

^^This.

I ran into a similar issue a while back. I've very active online and immediately noticed a producer using a name similar to mine. Rather than come at him sideways I just rode it out and sure enough I think he stumbled upon me somewhere and realized our names were similar because not too long after I noticed he changed his production name. No harm no foul. sh*t happens.

We just pick up and move on.

Back