How can we make FP a "Better Place"?

250 reviews how hard is that?

They would also get pissed if they were rejected because there work was not up to scratch - no-one likes to be told they suck when everyone in their lives is pissing in their pockets telling them how great they are

Also a good point, however I always found being told I wasn't good enough would motivate me more rather than..."hey man come on this forum and post 250 times and then we'll accept your content.."

I dunno it's a tough one!

I would be interested in moderating for less than money. There would need to be some sort of reason for the moderators, however.

>>>>If I'm a new, young member and every time I apply to get my shit promoted on the FP channel I get rejected because I don't have as many forum posts as the other guy, (in most cases), I'll become pretty demotivated.<<<<

Yeah, the post-count thing; I think that's just a basic requirement and it doesn't have to be huge. Like, how many do you need to post links? Is it 4, 5, 10?? It's something simple like that (but perhaps a bit more rigorous), that shows a level of commitment. Also, we're not talking about straight promotional videos, are we? I thought we were talking tutorials that would be of interest to everybody who thinks of themselves as a "future (or present) producer."

GJ

a youtube channel would have to be more than "how to do this" to garner attention, given that most of the n00bs who come on here have only plan in mind:

pimp my ish and shizzle as fast and as hard as I can

remind you of anything else .....?

5 posts to post links to your ish and they still spam their way to that (was 20 but was reduced as direct result of "improved" spam capturing routines in the sw)

So, having a post count that is significant is an important step towards opening the doors to participation in the big picture stuff: if you make it easy, they won't try all that hard and we will be inundated with material that will most likely be rejected on quality grounds anyway
- make the door harder to open and the quality will hopefully be better
- no matter what we do, there will be those who try to spam their way to the limit
- but the existing spam control measure should catch that early (time between posts, viewing the activity stream for patterns of no-brainer contributions "nice, cool, love it, etc"

editorial policy also might dictate what we can and can't do..... but keep the ideas flowing never know what can happen

ps I'm not trying to rain on the parade, just point the logical problems and consequence of trying to do certain things
- think of it as six hats (Red Green Blue Yellow Black White) [sup][1], [2], [3][/sup] brainstorming where each person is wearing a different colour hat and taking that viewpoint within the discussion

Last edited:
If i were to be "program director" of FP's YT channel it's content would include a healthy dose of tutorial's but i wouldn't want to see it limited to just that. Some of the discussions in these threads are entertaining stuff. It would be cool to see a video of a recorded Skype conversation where some of these opposing views go back and forth in a passionate but light hearted kind of way. Or the same kind of thing but somebody submits a WIP and a more established and respected FP personality (or several)critique it in a constructive way.

I bought Tone2's Nemesis synth a few weeks ago and started a thread about it. It ended up being that only one person replied and that was that. But if i submitted a video to a FP Mod, reviewing the synth and giving my opinion and showing examples instead of just writing that i think it's a great piece of software, and the Mod chose to put that on the channel it would be more interesting to more people and thus spark more conversation IMO. Mr.X could submit a video on why Cubase is so much better than Logic and show the features to prove his point. Same thing with the omnipresent "Which vst's should i get?" thread.

Just take the good things about the Forums and find ways to make them visual.

Have a contest where the winner's music will be the intro music for every video uploaded to the FP channel for the month of September or whatever... There are so many fun, interesting and interactive ways to link all these things together.

And multiple Mods reviewing and uploading multiple videos about various topics daily or weekly will keep that content fresh. I don't think that it would need to be a highly coordinated effort on the part of the Mods except for trying to avoid uploading the same video. A Mod who enjoys Metal might upload more metal related video's but that could be balanced out by the Mod who loves rap and the Mod who likes House. And we could all learn from each other.

The first thing i do when i go on YT is check the "Subscriptions" sidebar for new content. If FP was in that sidebar with 4 new uploads, i would click on that to see what was recently uploaded. If it applied to me or interested me i would watch it. If it was a review of a brand new guitar, I would skip it and see what other content was available.

I'm rambling... Sorry.

Last edited:
bandcoach no need to specify that you're not raining on the parade...the discussion is more than welcome!

-Tutorials

-Reviews

-Interviews

-Debates/Discussion

-Promotion of community members' work

- Articles on the homepage of this site about anything music related..industry..gossip...kanye west..whatever!

-Battles (video documented) not only would this encourage participation in battles as they're getting uploaded to a large audience, it would also mean that you can see what that beat maker did to win that battle..and whether the beat is fully their work or not.

-Live Streams of battles?

These battles could quickly turn into large tournaments with sponsored prizes if popular. There's more than enough beatmakers around to ensure this happens. The winner of the tournament could be the "monthly feature" on the site, channel, Facebook etc. where an interview, article, and their work is exhibited!

Last edited:
If there came to be a YouTube channel I think we should draw lessons from this video right here.

I don't watch gaming channels on YouTube but this video came to my attention and offers some incredible strategies. It's pretty long so I'm not gonna summarize it. Watch and learn.

In terms of promotion we should get a good start, having a known person in the first video to boost exposure.

Since the Forum is called Future Producers why not make Interviews with..Future Producers. Have somebody at FP to interviews and meet up with these fairly new guys like Mike Zombie and whatever.

What I'm saying is that If we were to make a YouTube channel we should do it right, and might as well aspire to market dominance.

Have the powers that be at FP considered creating and maintaining a Youtube channel? Regular uploads of video's, reviews, contests, tutorials, debates etc. I think that it would lead to more traffic on the forum site especially if "futureproducers.com" was plugged on every video with provided links and graphics on the screen. Registered forum members with a minimum number of posts (250 would be my suggestion because you know that these people are invested in FP) would be eligible to submit video's to the Mods and the Mods could decide if the video makes it on to the channel or not. I mean who wouldn't like/watch a monthly theory tutorial by Bandcoach? I know I would. Or an "Ask Bandcoach" video every now and then? I'd like to hear/watch a rant from some of the vets like BiggRome, J Troup, Deranged and some others. Wouldn't a beat battle be more fun if it was a more visual kind of experience? I know that sounds like an oxymoron but I would like to see some of the guys in the "Flip This" forum chopping samples and see how some of have your gear set up.

My point is, if futureproducers.com was a brand, instead of a single website, it would attract tons more people. It would be an overwhelming job for one guy but a team of people could make an awesome channel and I think that it would trickle over into more people visiting and ultimately registering on FP. More people means more points of view which, IMO, would make this a better experience for all. When a person asks a question in the Youtube comments, provide them with a link to the appropriate thread instead of answering it directly. If you do a tutorial on how to create a "super wobbly growly monster laser dubstep bass". You could offer the patch as a download to registered FP members to give people the incentive to register instead of just peruse the threads as visitors. More "new blood" will lead to more interaction. More interaction will lead to more participation. More participation will mean a more lively experience on fp. Of course you'll attract mostly "noobs' but aren't the "noobs" of today the producers of the future?.... Just a thought.

I also like the podcast idea but it would be even better if it was video recorded and posted to youtube...
Future Producers has been part of the AudioFanzine umbrella for years and its been neglected by Audio fanzine for years. I really don't see FP getting better because the truth is they neglect FP. The sense of community that made this site great 10 years ago is long gone and has been for at least 3 or 4 years. That's what's wrong with FP. I have no ideas on how to fix it I truthfully feel that traditional forums are dying down and moving over the facebook. There are a ton of great groups/forums on Facebook for just about every niche you can find. Those communities are killing off sites like FP.

Maybe this be the circle of life..

The old store by the nice Turk family closes down and get's replaced by the big ass mall. We move on from running around, doing pranks to bitter adults in an office. Hours of playing video games as children get's replaced by meaningless work. YouTube leaves and makes space for GoogleTube, when you were once fit and naturally slim you have to be meticulous about your health to not wake up with back cramps.

Maybe we should close FP and move on to the "Facebook Groups."

Maybe we should defy time and gravity and get THIS SHIT POPPIN AGAIN U FEEL ME?

Future Producers has been part of the AudioFanzine umbrella for years and its been neglected by Audio fanzine for years. I really don't see FP getting better because the truth is they neglect FP. The sense of community that made this site great 10 years ago is long gone and has been for at least 3 or 4 years. That's what's wrong with FP. I have no ideas on how to fix it I truthfully feel that traditional forums are dying down and moving over the facebook. There are a ton of great groups/forums on Facebook for just about every niche you can find. Those communities are killing off sites like FP.

^^^^This.

Integrating FP into other social networks could work wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great post.

By someone who first joined in 2007, no disrespect, but 98% of all posts in this thread are by people who joined in the past three, 4 years max - how would you know what is missing when you weren't around when FP was at its best? Again, no disrespect, there are some great ideas actually, but FP can't and won't anytime soon be the place that it used to be. It really could be the owners. To me, FP now looks and feels like just every other mainstream music production site/forum/portal, while back in the day it was probably the most distinctive and coolest place for producers/beatmakers on the web. Can't really explain it, was it members and discussions, was it moderation, or owner, or that green and later (cca 2008) dark/grey layout (my personal favourite) that felt so underground and grimey... BiggRome had a perfect description for FP back in the day, can't really quote it word by word, but something along the lines that when he is at work and logs onto FP, people at work look at him like he belongs to some dark, secret, terrorist group, cult or whatever, not talking to others during lunch break, but got his head into that dark website and planning the next shit to go down... we had some great and interesting members too, can't remember all the names but already mentioned BiggRome, jtroup, that kid who had rich parents and could get any hardware and software he wanted, brokenfriday dude, then that guy who used to do album covers for everyone, dj nice was his name, then beatbustent, dabeatdoctor, Justin Rockwell, not sure if that dude who had fat tony from simpsons as his avatar still posts, anyway can't remember them all but you know, it was a great time for me and great memories. Not saying you can't make it better, you can, but it will never be the place it used to be. Because world evolves, music evolve, hip hop evolves, people evolve. I wish you all the best, like I said, this place became generic music production portal ever since AudioFanzine took over as they are not interesting in ordinary people but only in profit, and I don't know what we/you can do about it but I wish you all the luck.

Great post.

By someone who first joined in 2007, no disrespect, but 98% of all posts in this thread are by people who joined in the past three, 4 years max - how would you know what is missing when you weren't around when FP was at its best? Again, no disrespect, there are some great ideas actually, but FP can't and won't anytime soon be the place that it used to be. It really could be the owners. To me, FP now looks and feels like just every other mainstream music production site/forum/portal, while back in the day it was probably the most distinctive and coolest place for producers/beatmakers on the web. Can't really explain it, was it members and discussions, was it moderation, or owner, or that green and later (cca 2008) dark/grey layout (my personal favourite) that felt so underground and grimey... BiggRome had a perfect description for FP back in the day, can't really quote it word by word, but something along the lines that when he is at work and logs onto FP, people at work look at him like he belongs to some dark, secret, terrorist group, cult or whatever, not talking to others during lunch break, but got his head into that dark website and planning the next shit to go down... we had some great and interesting members too, can't remember all the names but already mentioned BiggRome, jtroup, that kid who had rich parents and could get any hardware and software he wanted, brokenfriday dude, then that guy who used to do album covers for everyone, dj nice was his name, then beatbustent, dabeatdoctor, Justin Rockwell, not sure if that dude who had fat tony from simpsons as his avatar still posts, anyway can't remember them all but you know, it was a great time for me and great memories. Not saying you can't make it better, you can, but it will never be the place it used to be. Because world evolves, music evolve, hip hop evolves, people evolve. I wish you all the best, like I said, this place became generic music production portal ever since AudioFanzine took over as they are not interesting in ordinary people but only in profit, and I don't know what we/you can do about it but I wish you all the luck.

Well we were calling on the pensioners to give input to the thread so we could figure out how it was!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that a lot of newer members have contributed to this thread while the majority of the dudes complaining about how this once thriving and vast civilization is a ruin of its former self have seemed to largely avoid it or taken the opportunity to convey their wit instead.

I also feel I made clear in the OP post that we needed to ADAPT rather than REVERT to its former self. However, some valuable input from the pensioners would help us more contemporary and reforming members understand what it used to be like...in comparison to what it is.

Last edited:
Well we were calling on the pensioners to give input to the thread so we could figure out how it was!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that a lot of newer members have contributed to this thread while the majority of the dudes complaining about how this once thriving and vast civilization is a ruin of its former self have seemed to largely avoid it or taken the opportunity to convey their wit instead.

I also feel I made clear in the OP post that we needed to ADAPT rather than REVERT to its former self. However, some valuable input from the pensioners would help us more contemporary and reforming members understand what it used to be like...in comparison to what it is.

Fair enough, just about everything you wrote is correct. To be fair, I haven't been around for a while, actually haven't been around music at all for a while, can't remember the last time I started Reason... so I can't really say what is wrong here. Are there too many trolls around? Are moderators too strict? Hardly any members discussing music? No battles, no collaborative tapes? I just know, that back in the day, we didn't have someone like bandcoach to explain and analyze to anyone just about every single bit of music theory behind any possible question, so that's already a plus these days. I can't tell why people stopped visiting this site, is it because of too many adverts, because of change in layout (I remember of a massive meltdown when layout was changed) or something else... Xabiton is one of the old heads, and he is right - owners are crap and that's it.

Back