Future Producers has too many subforums.

World Wide

I thought maybe it was just me, but a lot of people agreed in the other thread, so let's do something about it.

For the record, FP is my favorite site on the whole web. I have learned so much here... so please don't accuse me of needlessly shitting on FP and tell me to "go somewhere else if I don't like it"

In my personal opinion, the forum should have the following subforums (NOT NECESSARILY IN THIS ORDER):

1. Newb Questions - NO DISSING OF "DUMB" QUESTIONS ALLOWED!
2. Studio/Recording Arts and Sciences - Recording/Mixing/Mastering/Studio Design
3. General Writing Music - Composing/Theory/Sound Design/Lyircs
4. Samples/Sampling
5. Battles
6. Industry/Legal/Marketing
7. Making music - hardware based (questions related to workstations, MPCs, studio monitors, etc.)
8. Making music - software based (ALL software and hardware related to software IE computers, audio interfaces, midi controllers, etc.)
9. Making music - Rap/Hip Hop/RnB/Pop/Electronic
10. Making music - Rock/Metal/Alternative/Misc
11. Popular Music News/Discussion - Rap/Hip Hop/RnB/Pop/Electronic
12. Popular Music News/Discussion - Rock/Metal/Alternative/Misc
13. General Chat (music breakroom)
14. FP Members' Music - promote your own project, reviews, etc.
15. Live Performance - including DJing, scratching, etc.

This is just one man's opinion, please comment and feel free to add/subtract to this list. Also, some of these probably need catchier/more descriptive titles.

Also, each subforum needs to list a brief description of what is and isn't appropriate to post there.

Also, each subforum needs to list a brief description of what is and isn't appropriate to post there.

Wouldnt make a blind bit of difference: the Featured artist , buy/sell, tutorials , colab forums all have stickys detailing what the forum is for. But you'd be amazed how many people either dont read it, or ignore it.

Wouldnt make a blind bit of difference: the Featured artist , buy/sell, tutorials , colab forums all have stickys detailing what the forum is for. But you'd be amazed how many people either dont read it, or ignore it.

But thats because thats at least 3 extra clicks. I know that doesn't sound like much, but people are lazy as shit.

I have to click on the forum first, then click the sticky, then click back.

If the description was just right under the forum name from the jump, I could glance over it and instantly see where my post would be most appropriate.

---------- Post added 02-23-2011 at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-22-2011 at 12:47 PM ----------

So no? Nothing will ever be done about this?

[/COLOR]So no? Nothing will ever be done about this?
sorry, I have a family , job and a life. If I didnt i would have answered within the HUGE 15hr space between your 2 posts.

"I have to click on the forum first, then click the sticky, then click back.

If the description was just right under the forum name from the jump, I could glance over it and instantly see where my post would be most appropriate.
"
point taken - when the new site is soon launched I'll make sure its designed to be lazy skip-rat friendly. After all, forums named like 'Showcase Your Music! Give & Receive Feedback.' can be so mis-leading.

There are some good suggestions here that I think should be looked into but many of the forums are there for a reason. Example I am technically the mod for the samples and digging and flip this sections. The reason there are 2 sections is because people flooded the samples and digging section with samples and there were no discussions happening. Honestly I didnt even like the idea of the flip this section at first and thought that people should have to go find their own samples but realized that a lot of people are just trying to learn how to play ball before actually having to step on the court. Ill let them learn to shoot the ball before playing one on one why not.

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

sorry, I have a family , job and a life. If I didnt i would have answered within the HUGE 15hr space between your 2 posts.

"I have to click on the forum first, then click the sticky, then click back.

"
point taken - when the new site is soon launched I'll make sure its designed to be lazy skip-rat friendly. After all, forums named like 'Showcase Your Music! Give & Receive Feedback.' can be so mis-leading.
while i agree with your pov I think many people have the same situation you do (family kids job life ect) but they still want to learn quickly. If posting a description under the header will make navigation of the site easier and lead to less dumb stuff happening I am all for it.

The headers are there but do not show up. The descriptions will be integrated when we migrate to vb4.0 . It's something that I personally felt was necessary for a long time. So it's coming!

As for too many forums? I don't think so. It's better organized that way. In the new version, you can collapse parent forums, so you don't need to view them if for example, you are not interested in gear.

Woo can't wait for the update its long overdue..

leprechaun_dancing_jig.gif

Hahaha relax, man. I wasn't talking to you specifically. Honestly, I didn't even know you were in charge of the site like that. I knew u were a moderator, but I didn't know you would be the one able to make changes like this.

I was just looking for feedback from other members... no need to hit me with the standard internet "i have a life!!!" argument...

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

The headers are there but do not show up. The descriptions will be integrated when we migrate to vb4.0 . It's something that I personally felt was necessary for a long time. So it's coming!

As for too many forums? I don't think so. It's better organized that way. In the new version, you can collapse parent forums, so you don't need to view them if for example, you are not interested in gear.

Its not about it just looking "cluttered", its about the divisions of info being arbitrary.

For example, an all software based producer might never visit the hardware forums, and yet there might be some good info in there on computers or audio interfaces or midi controllers they might be missing and/or questions being asked that they could have answered.

Example #2: People keep trying to post their own music in the Rap/Hip Hop forum using the excuse that "it doesnt belong in the feedback section, because I'm not looking for feedback." So if we just had a forum called "FP Members' Music" or something, without mentioning feedback or reviews, there you go. I think feedback and reviews are implied anyway... I mean if someone offers u feedback and you are like I DIDNT ASK YOU FOR FEEDBACK!!!! then youre just a huge dick anyway and should probably kill yourself (joking of course).

Example #3: I might not be looking specifically to set up a collaboration, so I might not be looking in the collaboration forum, but if I'm just browsing around a general "Making Rap Music" forum and someone happens to post "Hey, i'm a rapper and I need a beat"... I might check it out just through my browsing and who knows.

Basically, its a matter of driving traffic to the right places. Sure, more specific forums lead to "better" organization, but because they are SO specific, some of them hardly get looked at and as such questions/topics never get addressed.

If I don't personally have an issue or question involving song arrangement, I might not be looking at that particular sub forum, but that's actually precisely the reason I need to be exposed to those threads in some way, because if I don't have issues with it then i might be able to help someone else who does.

i dont know i think the forum titles could use some upgrading in some respect. I dont feel that midi controllers and hardware synths really belong in the same forum. I feel the softsynths daws and midi controllers should all be lumped together because people post in them interchanagebly. Same with hardware synths and samplers.

We changed the title of the Feedback forum to be more about showcasing your music, so it accommodates those who want feedback or not. IMO why would anyone post their music if they didn't want feedback? So just keep it on your computer and don't share. If you choose to share that means you are looking for some comment from the outside world. So all those who say they don't want feedback, IMO are not being completely honest.

i think its a confidence issue as far as the feedback forum is concerned. that and the fact that they just want people to listen but dont care what they think about it unless its positive. thats how many members of fp are if you say anything negative about their music like maybe a mix is off or they have a few sour notes then to that person you have no idea what you are talking about because they are too perfect you know.

Or they just want SALES and/or to spread word of mouth on a project.

More downloads, more page views, more song plays, more facebook friends, etc.

Not necessarily comments.

And that was only one suggestion. Maybe if we had separate forums for "making rap music" and discussing "popular rap music", we could let people post their own music in the making rap music forum and wouldn't need a separate section for that? That would also satisfy the people who just post in the rap/hiphop section because of the increased traffic?

no it wouldnt because they post in the section because "its the only section i go to the rest of fp is dead"

^^ thats what im saying tho. If it was just a general "making rap music" forum, it would have more traffic as the subject matter isn't so narrow.

---------- Post added 03-01-2011 at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-25-2011 at 11:33 AM ----------

Conversation = dead. Sad face.

^^ thats what im saying tho. If it was just a general "making rap music" forum, it would have more traffic as the subject matter isn't so narrow.

---------- Post added 03-01-2011 at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-25-2011 at 11:33 AM ----------

Conversation = dead. Sad face.

Let me put in my 2 cents regarding your suggestion. We have plenty of forums that have to do with 'making music', broken down to different techniques etc. While rap music is diff than other genres, alot of the techniques apply to all genres of music that one produces. Hence, we can not just open a forum for rap making music. The goal of the site is to educate and improve the skill level of producers who want to learn how to make music period. Regardless of genre.

But since most of the people here are interested in making rap music, by default most of our 'music making' forums have to do with rap music. So you already have it, it just doesn't have a 'rap' tag to it.

But the point is TRAFFIC.

Please re-read my posts.

The point of an online forum (at least this one) is for questions by users to be answered by OTHER USERS... right?

Well if I'm an expert on, say, Music Theory, why would I be in the Music Theory section? I have no reason to, I'm already an expert. And yet, because of my expertise, I am the VERY person who should be exposed to those threads, in order to utilize my expertise to answer the questions of others!

As for the "general making rap music" forum that you chose to pull out, if this is a site designed "to educate and improve the skill level of producers who want to learn how to make music" (your own words), then having a forum simply titled "Rap & Hip-Hop / R&B" is confusing. Is this forum about MAKING these genres of music, or is it about discussing popular music that falls into these genres? WHO KNOWS.

Again, please re-read my posts. I did not simply suggest we have a general making rap forum and thats it, I suggested that we have a general making music forum for EACH genre (or, more specifically, two forums for making similar types of music), so your "regardless of genre" argument is invalid.

Back