Is it worth it?....

-/-

So I just copped a CRAZY new Asus laptop with 16 gigs or ram 2tb hdd's i7...the whole thing. I have an old HP i used to produce on with at least 30-50 plugins that I did not pay for. Im wondering if its worth it to download LEGALLY all of those vst's on this new comp and how much these torrents affect the safety and most importantly, the performance of a computer. Im basically broke lol and I still want to produce with my extensive sound library, but I don't wanna jack up my new laptop + i know morally its effed up to torrent.

Also is there a way to access my old computers drive and just drop the vst's into this new one? or do need they to be physically installed?

Last edited:
It depends some vsts have to be installed. But if you still have the installation file on your old laptop then you can just move it to your new one and install it. Torrents dont really **** up computers most of the time i wouldnt worry about it.

being legit is always worth it - no telling when you you are going to be raided (it does happen in spite of all the urban myths to the contrary).

As for torrents - the big gripe I have with them is the theft of my bandwidth to spawn others downloading the same thing - they are a vector for infection as they have virtually unfettered access to your drive, making them an ideal process for malware to hitch a ride on

So I just copped a CRAZY new Asus laptop with 16 gigs or ram 2tb hdd's i7...the whole thing. [...] Im basically broke lol [...]

If you can gather up enough money for that laptop, you should be able to gather up enough money to buy your plugins.
I've been in your situation -- I made the same "pirated -> legitimate" transition years ago.
You'll probably find that you don't really need all of those plugins -- especially once you take the time to learn your favorite few in-depth.

Im wondering [...] how much these torrents affect the safety and most importantly, the performance of a computer.

It's highly likely that your pirated software is the source of any computer stability and performance degradation issues you might have had in the past.

is there a way to access my old computers drive and just drop the vst's into this new one? or do need they to be physically installed?

You need to install them with the appropriate installers, especially if you're going to go legitimate (You're generally going to need to authorize legitimate software copies).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Yeah I just bought both Purity and Sylenth. Any other suggestions for me?

Random question but does anyone know if Halion Sonic contains the same sounds as Hypersonic 2? because that has to be one of the greatest 'bread/butter' vst's i have ever used.

Yeah I just bought both Purity and Sylenth. Any other suggestions for me?

NI's Komplete (which includes Massive, FM8, Reaktor, Kontakt, etc.) gets basically all of the bases covered in one fell swoop.

Random question but does anyone know if Halion Sonic contains the same sounds as Hypersonic 2? because that has to be one of the greatest 'bread/butter' vst's i have ever used.

It doesn't.

Hypersonic 2 was developed by Wizoo for Steinberg.
Wizoo was purchased by Avid and they have been working on the stock plugins for Pro Tools (i.e., "Xpand!") ever since.

Since Steinberg is owned by Yamaha, the Halion Sonic series is developed under guidance from the people who put together the Motif workstation's sounds.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
NI's Komplete (which includes Massive, FM8, Reaktor, Kontakt, etc.) gets basically all of the bases covered in one fell swoop.

It doesn't.

Hypersonic 2 was developed by Wizoo for Steinberg.
Wizoo was purchased by Avid and they have been working on the stock plugins for Pro Tools (i.e., "Xpand!") ever since.

Since Steinberg is owned by Yamaha, the Halion Sonic series is developed under guidance from the people who put together the Motif workstation's sounds.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Forsure im looking into Komplete because I just copped a Maschine Mikro.

And thats pretty wack about Hypersonic dude....dammit hows the Sound selection on Halion if anyone knows?
Also is Omnishpere worth 5 bills?? I've been looking at it for a while now.

'...........hows the Sound selection on Halion if anyone knows?
Also is Omnishpere worth 5 bills?? I've been looking at it for a while now.
Halion 5 is da bomb.......You can do anything with it, and import your own files!

Omnisphere is a very powerful and excellent synth and my "go to"......but it's harder to import. Definately worth thé bucks, of you can handle it!

Last edited:
Halion 5 is da bomb.......You can do anything with it, and import your own files!

Omnisphere is a very powerful and excellent synth and my "go to"......but it's harder to import. Definately worth thé bucks, of you can handle it!

When you say import do you mean like your own samples? Because I'm not looking at either plugin as a sample chopper/processor I have another program for that.

Hows the preset game on Omni? I couldn't find like a demo or video that showed it off well

Last edited:
Well being the curious musicians I gotta ask, what exactly does Halion 5 do that Sonic doesn't? And is it done well?

Halion is a product with a completely different focus -- it's a full sampler to compete with Kontakt. It's made so that you can create your own samples (and so that third parties can do the same and sell the resulting libraries).

Halion Sonic is made to be a "workstation" with a complete set of sounds in-the-box, and a focus on immediate usability/tweakability. It's focused on songwriting.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back