What do you export as?

Cl4y

I mean I would appreciate more detailed response's than just .wav or aiff or w.e. What sample rate etc do you use and why? I want to know how to make the rendered files as close the the highest quality as possible as well as what to set my loss files (.mp3 etc) as so they are compressed but retain as much quality as possible.

When I do use a compressed format, I have had trouble with the MP3 encoder in reaper ruining my hi-hats and rides. This is probably because I don't understand how to use the encoder properly more than anything else.

Therefore if I want a compressed file I tend to use .ogg format, which doesn't have the above problem for me but is still compressed. Only downside is .ogg files aren't supported everywhere.

I do just as bandcoach said. But I normally convert from Fl Studio to wav, and then use a third party converter to make it into mp3.

In the mixdown process try keep highest Khz and bit rate possible. Same goes when export for premaster. After mastering is done export to 44 kHz 16 bit and add dithering.. When you are finished with that you can render your mp3 file.. Then go for 320 mp3 file. This is it..

cheers//
Henri

Ok all of that being said. What do you all upload to Soundcloud? wav or mp3? I imagine some of those .wav files can be 20 - 30- 40+mb in size.

Ok all of that being said. What do you all upload to Soundcloud? wav or mp3? I imagine some of those .wav files can be 20 - 30- 40+mb in size.

the size doesn't matter, i upload wav but it gets converted to soundcloud format (128 mp3 i believe.)

I upload wav, and the file size for my tracks is usually more around the 100+ mb. But the size doesn't really matter like ego killer said. Perhaps the conversion is good that way and anyway you have a backup of your wav files in case something goes to shiet. :-)

as ego killer says size is not the factor here except in terms of bandwidth to upload: soundcloud bills you in minutes not in MB

Clay you if you want the highest quality possible you should export it to a wav BUT a lot of artist prefer to have their music sent to them in mp3 format. Also if plan on uploading your beats on myflashstore or soundclick they only support mp3. So with that being said if you want the highest quality possible you should convert your song into a Mp3 format in the highest form. About 24 bit depth and 256 for the quality.

For original masters - 24bit / 44.1k
For my library, whenever possible, I use ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) - plays on my iOS devices beautifully and is 1/2 the size of WAV/AIFF/CAF files
If I have to use a lossy codec, I choose AAC. For those of you who don't know, this is the name of the MP4 file format, which is more advanced than the old Mp3 format. I usually encode at 192Kbs from a 24bit/44.1k original.

I use Logic Pro X and it can export/bounce several formats at the same time, so I usually choose AIFF & ALAC.

If I need to send a small file, I usually opt for AAC.

Back