What do yall think of Nexus 2 for hip hop/r&b?

caycay

I'm thinking about getting Nexus 2 because I like how the sounds are ready for use without too much tweaking to make them sound better, but I heard it is not too good for hip hop or dirty south. Should I get Nexus 2 or go with something like Kontakt?

Dude Nexus 2 is essential in my tracks I produce and I produce dirty south/ rnb type tracks. Buy it and don't look back.

when i went to the site that had two prices 200 and 2000 how many sounds do u get with the 200 price?

$2000 is for nexus 2 and all the expansion packs. $200 is the base price.

I like nexus, but other than huge pads/trance gated sounds, I only use it when I'm too lazy to tweak my own sounds.

It's like having a full workstation at your finger tips.

They should make a hardware sound module version. It would sell.

Not trying to be negative or bring the buzz down, but at a $2,000 price point for a full set of sounds that will take up about 30-40gb of HD space, the sounds in nexus aren't close to impressive.

You can find the same set of sounds(IMO better)in software that takes up MBs of space with waaaayyyy lower prices like Vanguard, Sylenth, FL Studio and it's bundled plugs, NI Komplete(hell, even just Kontakt, and yeah, that's what a "huge Library" should sound like), Luxonix Purity, DiscoDSP Discovery Pro, Reason and it's Factory soundbanks. I could go on forever.

Even though I hate the sound of Logic(and truly don't recommend it either) equally to the sound of Nexus, i'll go as far as to say for the same Casio keyboard sounding patches, you may as well just buy Logic Pro and an iMac to run it(same price), Logic has waaaaaayyyyyy more of those Nexus sounds, and can host any other plugs you own with Mac installers. I'd suggest Logic and buying a Mac over wasting $2k on Nexus.

I'm confused to why so many hip hop/rnb producers cosign it, but then when you listen to their sound, you can hear(what they should be able to hear as well)that casio-ish sound. Same time, I've heard some really sick trance done with Nexus, but that's a genre where sounds like those can be utilized. We're out of that Trance-hop phase Timbo was running a few years back, so while one or 2 Nexus patches won't hurt an overall hip hop rnb record, it can degrade quality when used in excessive ammounts. Use Kontakt or Miroslav to make an entire hip hop song and it will sound completely different.

Last edited:
Nexus is great for commercial dance/trance etc.

I use a few different synths, one of which is Vanguard, it's got a decent library and it's fairly simple to tweak away at your sound.

I don't see what all the fuss is about with the pre-sets. Surely when you're making a track you've got the sound in your head that you want. And i'd say it would be extremely rare for you to find it as a pre-set. If I did, then I'd change the sound I wanted to something else. Why have a sound that someone else can just click to use. So you don't need all those sorts of pre-sets, just a few, and that will force you to tweak them again and again and save your own sounds :)

Back