Waves or UAD

A

andy morrison

I'm looking to buy either a UAD-2 Solo Laptop or a Waves bundle. Any suggestions on what is better?

UAD by far IMO. Waves got a rep for "quality" because of their "quantity" and accessability. They're highly bottlegged as the "top line" solution for audio. They have good plug ins that drown amidst the hundreds of modules they offer. IMO there's plugs in Pro Tools and Logic that come factory that can compete with the equivalent offered in WAVES, not to mention they ripped off tons of Bomb Factory stuff that I feel Bomb factory did a better job at.

I will vouch for Waves L series limiters being some of the best at pushing loudness hard as hell while staying fairly transparent.

UAD, in my personal opinion get it. I've never heard a UAD plug that wasn't perfected for the consumer it was designed for. They stick to their guns and do an amazing job at reproducing the sound of hardware counterparts at a fraction of the price.

Again, all just my opinion.

Last edited:
havent had experience with either but i know friends who own both and they say the UAD stuff is better

A lot of the Waves stuff is actually crap… there is maybe one or two good plugins (I’m thinking of the CLA-3A compressor, I think that’s the name) but I’m not very satisfied with the rest :(
I also don’t like their interfaces. They are not to my likings. A lot of compressors also can’t be side chained… WHY? :(

I haven’t used the UAD stuff but I’ve heard lots of demos and watched various videos, and I think their stuff is good. But I can’t really judge since I haven’t used their stuff anyway.

However, those are all copies of „famous“ compressors (and other hardware), so I’m not sure if they come close to the sound they’re copying. Stuff that was copied is never as good as the original in my opinion, but then again I haven’t used the hardware versions of these plugins either, so I again, I can’t really judge...

Cheers, thanks for all the feedback. I was thinking of going in the UAD direction as well but thought I just get a few other peoples opinions before I took the leap.

Back