In your opinion what is the best software for beat making?

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly it really just depends on what you learned on. theres no real reason to ask this question cus everyones gona say something diffrent.

i'm mac bassed, so i'm really into reason, its what i use for all my midi programming (mainly drumz and bass) i use a midi keyboard and play everything in live. i like to use cubase for all my vst's and things if i need them cus its midi stuff isn't to bad either, and yet again i play that in all live. i use ableton live for all of my sample choppin and things if i'm makin a sampled beat. its the EASIEST way to get a 4-16bar sample on beat and chop it up. I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! i use peak to get my samples (i normally sample from mp3's/cd's since i dont have a turntable yet). and for my vocals i recently just got into protools le. but i'm REALLY feelin it and i'm gona start using it on a normal basis.

thats MY best setup. try out some of these programs and see what cha think. but as i said again, everyones gona probably recommend pretty much every other program, you'll hear some more than others but its really just what the person is feelin, cus they all basically do the same thing. its what you do w/ the program that counts, not what program it is.

thanks for the reply. what makes exactly makes ableton live differnt from anything else. Ill probably just google it so no need to answer lol. Thanks.

cntspitfiya said:
thanks for the reply. what makes exactly makes ableton live differnt from anything else. Ill probably just google it so no need to answer lol. Thanks.

well the thing i find so nice about it w/ sampling (dont use it for its midi tho, its midi isn't to grand) is like if you have a sample you dont have to go threw the trouble of trying to stretch it into place and all that other crap to find what tempo it is. IT AUTOMATICLY DOES THAT FOR YOU WHEN YOU PULL A 4-16 bar loop/sample. and then its just so easy to copy and paste sections, to pitch them, to time correct a sample (basically quantizing wav files) i mean what more can you ask for. i mean theres probably something eles that does this. but live is just sweet w/ it. i recomend it like ON THE REAL. all my sampled tracks the samplin part is done in abelton live. check it out see what cha think

I have used fruity loops 4.5 for 5 months and i come across new things every day its a wonderful software for making beats and if you master it im sure you can make professional beats with it i sample in this software also to get a kanye west style in beats i just chop up my samples and what not in cubase and save em as wav. and work on from that in fruity loops 4.5..... i Also sugest going to your local guitar center and try out software on there setup's available for testing but yea i love fruity loops because you can do anything in it thats what people mistake about this software any one can make a beat using but it come to profession and time to make professional beats. I met a guy that been making beats for 3 years with fruity loops i wont tell you his secret on making professional beats with it now you will just have to find that out threwout years of expeireince with this software.... i sugest getting fruity loops and master it and move on to something like a motif or triton though

There is no best.Not even a group of the best software for making beats.
Not even a best hardware.
Everything depends on the style of music you intend on producing,and does the software you choose help you do that.
I say why spend alot of money when you starting out.
Skills is what pays the bills anyway.
I used to make beats with an mpc2000.
Now I use freeware.
Nothing I use cost me a penny,but I feel I have more creative freedom,and my beat deffinantly do not suffer.
Moving up to something more costly will not up your game.
I am speaking from a sample based standpoint however,and realize certain programs have certain sounds people want,and or need for thier productions.
But hey there plenty of realy good vsti for free with nice presets,and sound mangling capabilities too.

cntspitfiya said:
I have only tried Fruity Loops and A reason demo. I wont to know what else you like.

If you have fruity Loops and Reason demo Then Just Go buy the real Version. Cause those are powerful Programs used for beat making. Buy the Programs and enjoy...

No need to know which is better. it depends on how well you produce music through the program you use.

The answer is there is no best.

What ever makes fire beats while comfortable to use. Play around and see what it is U like to do.

Just my 2 pennies

I have a Sonar/Reason/ABleton Live Setup.

I also have DP 4.5 on MAC, but I don't even use it anymore. I'm using Pro Tools with a Digi001 on a G5.

But there is no best...honestly.

Last edited:
Yup I love Reason others love FL Both are fairly complete solutions for a new commer to pick up and dive in.Both are good for composing and sampling.But If you know which route your gonna take than it should make your decision easier.Reason (out of the box) Is the better program if your into constructing your own sounds and starting from scratch (aside from drums as usual) but if your into sampling more I'd say FL is more friendly in that respect.Like I said both can compose and sample but out of the box there are better suited for one or the other.when gettin down with reason your gonna wanna get Recycle to chop up your samples.And your gonna need to learn the NN XT which imo is a very powerful sampler.Yet composing beats using sound modules,drum machines and synthisizers is a breeze (givin you have some natural talent) on the other hand if you Go with FL (which I haven't used personaly) you'll find that it has a simple yet effective sampling interface again on the other hand if you want to do any original compositions you'll need some Vsti's (virual instruments) to do anything acceptable cause the stock sounds/intruments in FL suck shyt.So IMO if your into composing go with Reason and if your into sampling go with FL and if you want the Best of both worlds and are willing 2 learn Go with REASON IMO it's the best...for me.

IMO...there isnt an all in one solution......make a combo of stuff that makes you comfortable...might get pricey but...well worth it if you are deep ino your craft...(Reason,FL,Storm,Plenty of vst,and a sequencing station...cubase,sonar PTLE,ableton)

yea like everyone said thers no best really just whats best for u and u wont even know that anytime soon. the more u know and wanna do certian things in a certian way the more u wanan find that program that dose it and it wont come anytime soon. I use reason and recycle and thats it. thats what works the best for ME and other ppl like using FL and somting else. start off with reason or FL id say reason cos theirs already lots of good sonds to start off with (FL dosent)and is a powerfull program, same with all the others. good luck on ur search

If you need the flexibility to do anything you want, FL is you best bet. It can do almost everything from recording audio to on the fly beatslicing, pitch shifting/time stretching, sequencing external sound modules, you name it. What it does not do is provide you with instruments worth speaking of.

Another route to take is the Reason route. It provides you with highly regarded instruments and FX, flexible routing and a nice soundbank. What it doesn't do is allow any form of expansion other than buying a new piece of software. No beatslicing, no audio recording, no audio tracks, timestretching/pitchshifting/plugins and about 40 other comonly found features in typical soft studios. I like the modular approach of FL better although I've been using both for plenty years. You just have to figure out what's more important to you. The thing with FL is, you may never outgrow it because it already does everything.

L. A. Stone said:
If you need the flexibility to do anything you want, FL is you best bet. It can do almost everything from recording audio to on the fly beatslicing, pitch shifting/time stretching, sequencing external sound modules, you name it.

That sounds like any one of the sufficiently advanced sequencer packages ;) ... So, for the basic tasks you listed, there really is no objective "best bet", only personal working preferences.

And my personal recommendation for this kind of application is Ableton Live. Its environment lends itself magnificently to complex sample manipulations, rearrangements and so forth. I would especially recommend Ableton Live 5 which is coming out very soon -- in fact, if you get Live 4 now, you'll receive a license for version 5 at no extra cost.

well i use both fl studio and reason.. i think la stone practically gave the full 100 on em both

but i say if u have money to spend then betta u get fl studio and a couple of vst's instruments/effect while u at it or if u want just get em both and if u prefer the fl style loop based sequencing then u can hook up reason's instruments to play in fl studio via rewire...

i havent gotten the newest reaon out as i am still using reason 2.5 but i duno it's like the whole thing looks so compressed liked ur viewing a really cramped picture that cannot get bigger yet psychologically u think it can.... but u get a great assortment of powerful sounds with reason str8 outta the box and if ur the type that likes to do everything live wit a midi keyboard then reason all the way mayne

i think live is the best way to go if your just starting out. its only going to get better.... but its the same as FL, you WILL need to start collecting samples and plug ins to really get the most out of it.... resaon is a good option if you dont want to have to do that. its got it all right out of the box....

peace.

actualy FL is pattern sequanceing :p lol but yea i mean it all depends on what u wanna do and how u want things set up. me i like reason cos it has everything i need AND i can hook up my channles EXACTLY like i want it and no other program is like that. i dont like loading lots of vsts and **** and reason i dont need too. theres no best really just best for u and i hate saying that cos EVERYONE and their hooker says that but w/e lol

I downloaded and installed the Reason update to 3.0.3 last night. Reason was of course always a incredibly optimized and performance oriented application, but somehow they managed to make it even more cpu efficient. Songs load faster and use less CPU. When I first upgraded to R3, I sat down and built this massive "patchbank", a songfile with instruments I felt I would need which would be ready to go instantly. The file got so big that after I saved it, when I tried to reopen it, it could barely open and took forever to open. Last night I opened that songfile up to see if there was any difference and there was. The file opened up much quicker and the CPU was lower. Good work from Propellerheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back