Using VST With Reason

The "Reason VST Upgrade" that you can download from the props website.

Sorry I was being cocky, you need to rewire Reason with another DAW which most support and then you need to import VST's from the supporting host.

Reason unfortunately doesn't support VST.

Last edited:
You can use another program that supports VSTs and rewire it into Reason. That should work for using VSTs (technically) in Reason.

do you think that reason will ever allow vsts in the program without rewire? if that ever happens ill def get reason

They've made it quite clear over-n-over-n-over that they have no plans to add VST support.

Frankly, I support their decision. There is no sense in trying to be everything to everyone.

need new sounds get refills or make your own from live instruments and or one shot libraries. VST's = sounds (for most people) just get new sounds.

Last edited:
barrysanders20 said:
You can use another program that supports VSTs and rewire it into Reason. That should work for using VSTs (technically) in Reason.
how do u plan to sequence that into reason or use the fx since there is no audio in sequencing in reason isnt anything special anyway i dont know why people are so against rewire

why add vsts to reason? its very pointless to me reason has more than enough sounds

Last edited:
Cyko said:
need new sounds get refills or make your own from live instruments and or one shot libraries. VST's = sounds (for most people) just get new sounds.

Not quite, many VST synths have a desired sound character, it is that character many people like, as far as the sounds, they'll use the synth with the character quality they like to make their own sounds. "New sounds" and "self-programmed" sounds are two different things. I personally do not care for Subtractor's sound character (at all, way too thin), but z3ta+ is a synth I can sometimes make a Virus TI look wimpy (or the presets anyway).

Xabiton said:
how do u plan to sequence that into reason or use the fx since there is no audio in sequencing in reason isnt anything special anyway i dont know why people are so against rewire

why add vsts to reason? its very pointless to me reason has more than enough sounds

For me, I am not against rewire, but that brings people having to sequence from two programs instead of one. If someone likes Reason's sequencer, AND like the sound of a particular third party softsynth, it is only natural they'd want to sequence that synth from their favorite sequencer...which is why I just couldn't go with Reason personally...well, that and the fact that Maelstrom is the only thing I liked about Reason... ;)

I'm not dogging Reason, if it sings for ya, then I am happy for that, but me personally it does not work at all...and too often, people who start on Reason end up wishing they hadn't when they'd rather be using something that hosts a nice third party synth they want to use...but can't unless they buy this, and rewire that, and so on and so forth. More refills aren't always the answer even though it is always the suggestion...

However, a big testament concerning sound in my opinion is this...my sequencer of choice is Project5...whose flagship synth is now Dimension...and Dimension is available to purchase on its own as well with a huge library.

Now Reason, whose "flagships" being either NNXT or Subtractor (and Maelstrom not getting the props it deserves for being the only cool synth in the bunch)...Anyway, I know of NO ONE who would buy either of those as standalone synths if they were available in other formats...Though, I wish I could buy Maelstrom and use it. ;)

Last edited:
xtrordinare said:
ok, never knew that...im not big on reason so i had no idea

The props are calling Reason an instrument. It's probably best to think of it just like that. If you try to think of it in the same way you think of FL Studio or Cubase, you'll be on a slippery slope of wondering why Reason doesn't have, this and that and this and that forever. The Props used to call Reason a studio, but they changed that to instrument with the release of Reason 3. That should have helped clear things up for a lot of people who are still wishing that Reason will eventually grow to compete with FL Studio and othe soft studios. The Props are basically saying that you're gonna have to just use Reason inside these other sequencers. Like an instrument.

L. A. Stone said:
The props are calling Reason an instrument. It's probably best to think of it just like that. If you try to think of it in the same way you think of FL Studio or Cubase, you'll be on a slippery slope of wondering why Reason doesn't have, this and that and this and that forever. The Props used to call Reason a studio, but they changed that to instrument with the release of Reason 3. That should have helped clear things up for a lot of people who are still wishing that Reason will eventually grow to compete with FL Studio and othe soft studios. The Props are basically saying that you're gonna have to just use Reason inside these other sequencers. Like an instrument.

If that is the case, then perhaps they should refund people some money since their marketing has been misleading people for years. j/k ;)

Alot of people pull reason down and slag it to the ground.. personally I would choose Reason over FL or Cubase any day. I've Come through with some wicked sounds.
Just gutted that I can't use a 3rd party synth!! Grrr.
If I could import Sytrus into reason I'd be a happy chappy!
I managed it with Cakewalk but the features are no where near as good as the features in Reason. Reason Just Works.

I have to agree with mason, I've made some fairly amazing sounding tracks with reason, the only reason why people have trouble with the certain types of guis and devices in reason is because they don't understand how to combine them to make a very powerful sound.

That being said, it is limited to inside devices... And honestly, I'm getting a little jealous of some vsts.

My question is, when rewiring into sonar, or cubase or anything with vst support. Is there a way to sequence the vst through reason on the sequencer map? I'm fairly new to cubase and sonar as well, havn't had much experience with both. Just know how to rewire. I wouldn't mind sequencing a bassline or certain synths in a slaved program which I can eq in reason though. Just wondering if someone can give me a little crash course or possibly link me to some tutorials pertaining to what I'd like to do?

D15.exe said:
My question is, when rewiring into sonar, or cubase or anything with vst support. Is there a way to sequence the vst through reason on the sequencer map? I'm fairly new to cubase and sonar as well, havn't had much experience with both. Just know how to rewire. I wouldn't mind sequencing a bassline or certain synths in a slaved program which I can eq in reason though. Just wondering if someone can give me a little crash course or possibly link me to some tutorials pertaining to what I'd like to do?
nope, no way at all, not possible. sorry.
LevLove

LevLover said:
nope, no way at all, not possible. sorry.
LevLove

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

I'm content with sequencing in FL, but I hate the eq.

Controller broke, so I'm a little limited.

D15.exe said:
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

I'm content with sequencing in FL, but I hate the eq.

Controller broke, so I'm a little limited.
not being sarcastic, just being closing. FL supports 3rd party plugins, just get some sht you like. check KVR for free plugins, if you wanna pay you can read reviews there too and find something you like.
LevLove

yah, i had plenty of vsts and experience with FL.

I just don't like the gui, or the eq. Takes too long to get a nice sound.

What sort of music do you produce?

Back