Spectrasonics Omnisphere vs NEXUS2

What would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmm...They are both romplers...Omnisphere is ALL about how they used "organic sampling" in their package...They both use samples and synth hybrid concept so IllRocka is misleading yall...

I have both and I'd say overall omnisphere is greater product becuase it really has more exclusive construction and deconstruction of its sounds not to mention bigger bank of sounds alltogether...I hate how they named it omnisphere and I hate the graphics on the vst, but it is a hell of an engine in there...

Ultimately they accomplish the same thing Nexus I can more easily find usable sounds to layer up tracks and on the omnisphere I use more for making a sound that I'm chasing in my head or when I'm trying to find something I haven't heard of before.

But yeah the whole synth vs rompler example does not apply here...

Wow don't even think about nexus 2 if omnisphere is your other choice.

Really don't...

All you will get from nexus 2 are 30-40 identic sounding leads, a couple of strings/pianos and arps and close to none tweaking abilities compared to omnisphere.

Nexus 2 will last for 2-3 months till you will eventually run out of sounds cuz you can't change the core sound besides arp/gate, reverb, delay and one amp/filter envelope.

Seriously go with omni. Nexus 2 will be fun for the first two months till you realize you just spend good money on untweakable presets pretty much. And they're not even that good. Their expansions got some really good sounds but well, that will cost you extra money so screw that.

Ppl who tell you nexus 2 is the bomb are ppl who never tried something else really.
I never used that plugin again after buying Native Instruments complete bundle...which is like what...200 dollars more for 6 plugins fully tweakable and content for the next 3-5 years.

Nexus 2 got probably the worst price/content ratio ever compared to other shit.

Last edited:
Wow don't even think about nexus 2 if omnisphere is your other choice.

Really don't...

All you will get from nexus 2 are 30-40 identic sounding leads, a couple of strings/pianos and arps and close to none tweaking abilities compared to omnisphere.

Nexus 2 will last for 2-3 months till you will eventually run out of sounds cuz you can't change the core sound besides arp/gate, reverb, delay and one amp/filter envelope.

Seriously go with omni. Nexus 2 will be fun for the first two months till you realize you just spend good money on untweakable presets pretty much. And they're not even that good. Their expansions got some really good sounds but well, that will cost you extra money so screw that.

Ppl who tell you nexus 2 is the bomb are ppl who never tried something else really.
I never used that plugin again after buying Native Instruments complete bundle...which is like what...200 dollars more for 6 plugins fully tweakable and content for the next 3-5 years.

thanks for the input homie....it's just that my macbok pro doesn't have the 50gb of hardware space....(not sure if people are going to like that answer or not) lol

gracias for those who contributed so far.

Spot on.

Nexus 2 is also crap after a very short period of time. Besides Omnisphere has all those "latest" dance sounds in it as well, and goes way beyond that.

Nexus doesn't even have anything in its factory context or expansions that most software synthesizers have these days without having to be sample-based content like Nexus. I think instruments like Nexus date themselves (just like hardware workstations) the moment they are released. Never go with stuff like this in software, you will get bored quickly, even preset junkies get bored quickly, and look into learning more in-depth programming or move on to something else...and $350 is a lot of money to move on from in a few months.

This doesn't happen with Omnisphere. Like Alchemy, it is simply addictive. I thought I'd never use much of Omnisphere, but it tends to find its way into everything I do.

When I hear Nexus, I think of Sylenth1 being layered with z3ta+...who gets excited about that? Who needs to spend $350 and take a big dent in the hard drive for that?

I am sure Nexus will make you happy in the short term, but not $350 happy. In reality, Nexus is a $99 instrument with $15 expansions...

Last edited:
thanks for the input homie....it's just that my macbok pro doesn't have the 50gb of hardware space....(not sure if people are going to like that answer or not) lol

gracias for those who contributed so far.

It's a good plugin to mess around with but next time when you think about upgrading, have an eye on NI Complete bundle.

You really get so much more for your money if you go with those type of bundles.

Last edited:
You'll get bored with Nexus?

This is terrible TERRIBLE advice guys. I can't y'all talk it down like that. This is getting ridiculous.

DO YOU GET BORED WITH A GRAND PIANO? No. Does a guitarist get bored w/ his Les Paul? No. How the hell could anybody get bored w/ Nexus with all of the great sounding instruments it has in it?! Yall actin like it sounds bad. It doesn't. It's a preset factory, w/ loads of ready to go instruments. You don't get bored with that. You don't get bored with standard instruments and sounds. it's ridiculous to say something like that. If you get bored w/ Nexus... then you just has no freakin inspiration whatsoever.

If you're a tweak-head and like making your own sounds.. of course you're not going to like Nexus..... b/c it's NOT A SYNTHESIZER. It's a rompler.

geez... what the hell is this turning into? it's such a stupid comparison.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

And price-wise... it's far from a waste of money.

IT'S A ROMPLER.

No, it really does get boring after a while...as a rompler, and many of the sounds are simply warmed over tarnce sounds from 2003...

Strongly disagree man. It's far from a boring VST. If that's the case, call a Motif boring too.

I'm not comparing Nexus to a Motif (because I don't own a Motif to compare)... but they're the same category of instrument. Romplers/ workstations w/ tons of great bread & butter sounds... especially for performances.

VI One would probably bore you too.

I personally think it's terrible advice you're giving saying that Nexus will bore you.

CPhoenix;48986860[COLOR=Silver said:
[/COLOR]And price-wise... it's far from a waste of money.

Well add + - 200 dollars and you can get yourself a bundle such as NI's complete 7 which will offer you anything Nexus 2 has plus about 200% more content and flexibility.

Yes it is a ROMPLER...and for a ROMPLER, this thing is way too overpriced.

Especially cuz you don't get "great" sounding go to presets for the money you're spending. You get good sounds. But surely not great sounds.

Regardless..i felt screwed over by reFX after getting the NI bundle for what? Maybe 100 dollars more at the time.

Last edited:
Well add + - 200 dollars and you can get yourself a bundle such as NI's complete 7 which will offer you anything Nexus 2 has plus about 200% more content and flexibility.

Yes it is a ROMPLER...and for a ROMPLER, this thing is way too overpriced.

Especially cuz you don't get "great" sounding go to presets for the money you're spending. You get good sounds. But surely not great sounds.

Regardless..i felt screwed over by reFX after getting the NI bundle for what? Maybe 100 dollars more at the time.

Komplete is probably the best deal in the business. You can compare anything to Komplete and it'll make it seem like a bad deal, not just Nexus.

Compare Nexus's price to other expensive software and it falls right in the mix. Trilian is $300 bucks for just bass sounds. Omnisphere is what.. $500? Even Alchemy is $250. Zebra is $200. Albino $150.
When you really look at prices... it's not overpriced. At $350, it sits right in the middle, where it should. If anything's overpriced, the expansions may be. But that's about it. $79 bucks for some add-ons... yeah, that's a little pricey, i'll admit.

And Nexus does sound great. The quality of the sounds are great... not just good. If you don't like the extra reverb & delays (which I don't), turn them off. Of course this is all opinion whether they're good or great... there's no definitive answer for an opinion. But most people i play Nexus for are impressed by the sounds.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Again... to choose Omnisphere over Nexus is one thing.... but to say that 1) buying Nexus is a bad deal price-wise, and to 2) call it a boring VST, well that's just bad advice.

To somebody who's not into creating their own sounds and needs some standard, high quality, great sounding instruments and synths... Nexus is a great purchase.

Terrible advice or no, Nexus is a very boring, overrated, overpriced rompler that sounds average at best.

Terrible advice or no, Nexus is a very boring, overrated, overpriced rompler that sounds average at best.
wow, still the same old negative, opinionated trusty. Give your opinion and move on, quit trying to win arguments over opinions. And consider, there are signed producers (even in this thread) that use Nexus, while you still run your fingers through men's hair for a living.

Nexus sounds great a must for those into dance music type sounds. But Omnisphere can do the same job with better quality sounds and has far more editing options on top of all the dance sounds omni got in the update months ago it can also do any genere from 80s Blade Runner type patches to violins and crazy stuff.

Dont forget Trillian its also an expansion to Omnisphere adding thousands of bass synthesizer sounds for dance / trance music.

Im adding U-HE Zebra next week thats like an Access Virus Ti and a DX-7 when its beefed up with the addon presets you can buy.

Last edited:
they aren't really comparable.

Omnisphere is filled with dramatic, reverbed, choirs synths.

Nexus is filled with the usual populare bread and butter sounds.

thats true- 2 totaly diffrent plugs.
I go hard with nexus.
When i do use omnisphere its about to get serious.

When i use them both -wickkkedd

No diss to Nexus at all. i tried it out and it was okay but did get boring after a while.

One of the best decisions i have ever made in regards to music was putting the money down for omnisphere. it can be a little intimidating at first but once you get it its grand.

firstly, even though it has a million freaking sounds you don't have to worry about clicking through each one to get the one you want.
it has everything categorized with detailed descriptions for a faster work process.

i also find it rather easy to tweak and even create sounds and i know close to nothing about synthesis.

spectrasonics is also great about updating the software, library, and even the sound sources on the regular. there are even fan groups i am a part of that make their own sounds and trade patches all the time.

i don't think i've made a beat without OMNI in about two years. and i haven't even really used the arps or pads yet, just the leads.

Im thinking which one to choose also, I only use hypersonic and sytrus right now but need a new vst

nexus is one of those vst's that you will love at first

"hey this patch sounds just like that one song on the radio!"

"hey this one sounds loud and good"

then after a few months it gets a little old. good for leads but pretty limited.

omnisphere will be the opposite. for the first month or so (depending on your experience level with synths. it definently took me a minute to realize what i had) you will be like "wtf is all this atmospheric crap!?"

then you'll notice the mono leads and get all the FREE updates and you will be in heaven.

I have nexus 2... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, the sounds are VERY generic. It doesn't require much CPU though, thats the only good thing about it.

This is off topic...but I think it's funny how some ppl defend the notion that running your DAW in 64bit is not necessary. I find this kind of stuff mainly comes from ppl that work for companies that haven't jumped to 64bit plugins for all platforms/systems yet. Personally I'm limited to running Ableton in 32bit mode all bc of Sylenth. I also have a MacBook Pro I've updated to 16GB of RAM that my DAW can't use half of.
So basically...if I'm hearing the RAM comments right....running Omisphere in a 32bit DAW wouldn't be the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back