Spectrasonics Omnisphere vs NEXUS2

What would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRPS

aka Joey Jeff Productions
i am going to be purchasing one of these two: Spectrasonics Omnisphere or the NEXUS2 in the near future. Has anyone had any experience with them? Pros/Cons

By the way i have a Macbook Pro....if that makes a difference

Spectrasonics Omnisphere

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere.php

Price $499(usd)

Total Sounds: 7,234
(4343 Patches + 2740 Soundsources + 152 Multis)

OMNISPHERE FEATURES

• Powerfully simple interface design makes key features accessible to every user

• Advanced users can "zoom" into deeper and deeper synthesis capabilities

• Sophisticated Browser with searching, sound attributes, descriptions and images

• 8 independent Arpeggiators

• World's first Arpeggiator with Groove Lock™ - which allows the Arpeggiators to match the feel of Stylus RMX and MIDI Files.

• Special performance-oriented Live Mode interface allows for seamless, interactive creative patch switching and layering on the fly

• Stack Mode interface allows for complex patch layering, splits, and crossfades (velocity/positional/controller)

• 8-part multitimbral with built-in Mixer, Aux FX and Mastering FX racks

• Advanced MIDI Learn and Automation parameter handling

• Comprehensive integrated Reference Guide

• Hours of free Tutorial Videos available online to registered users

• Windows native 64-bit support and Mac OSX Snow Leopard compatibility

SYNTHESIS FEATURES

• Oscillators can be sample-based or synth-based

• Up to 10 oscillators per patch with new Harmonia™ feature

• Flex-Mod™ modulation system allows powerful modular-style routing

• Dual Layer architecture

• High-definition streaming engine

• Variable DSP Oscillator Waveshapes

• Sophisticated Unison Detuning

• Variable Analog Feel

• Modulatable Hard Sync

• Granular Synthesis

• Innovative Chaos Envelopes

• Polyphonic Timbre Shifting

• Polyphonic Timbre Crushing

• Polyphonic Waveshaper

• Polyphonic Ring Modulation

• Polyphonic Glide

• FM Oscillators

• Dual Filter architecture per Layer

• Create filter combinations in series or parallel

• Arrange and blend more than 17 Filter algorithms

• Fully modulatable FX racks

• Alternate tuning scales supported

• 6 full-featured LFOs per patch

• 8 Advanced Multi-breakpoint looping Envelopes per patch

• Unique Dual Envelope interface - Simple ADSR-style or Advanced Graphic-style

• Sampled soundsources can be processed with synthesis features!

SOUND LIBRARY

• Vast Core Library - over 40GB with thousands of sounds

• Cutting-edge sounds from the renowned Spectrasonics sound design team

• Innovative "Psychoacoustic" soundsources for organic synthesis!

• Unique multisampled "Composite Morphing™ soundsources

• Integrates the award-winning, original Atmosphere® core library

• Integrates best of Spectrasonics highly-acclaimed sample libraries

• Massive variety of inspiring sounds for all types of music production

• Searchable by sound attributes (Timbre, Genre, Mood, Tonality, Source, etc)

• Expandable sound architecture

EFFECTS FEATURES

• Integrated, full-featured FX Racks

• Up to 12 simultaneous FX per patch

• Layer FX modulatable from any mod source

• Hundreds of FX presets included

• Over 32 original FX Processors covering the full spectrum of signal processing

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• 2GB RAM or higher

• Dual Layer compatible DVD-ROM drive

• 50GB of free hard drive space

Mac Recommendations

• 2.0 GHz or higher processor

• G5 PowerPC compatible - Intel Core2Duo or higher recommended

• OSX 10.4.9 or higher

• AudioUnit, VST 2.4 or RTAS capable host software

• Native Universal Binary for Intel Macs

vs

NEXUS2

Price $349.99

http://refx.com/?page=products/nexus/summary

Contents
DVD in Steelbook™
Empty USB-eLicenser
Electronic documentation (PDF)
1018 sound-presets divided into 18 categories
732 multi-samples (~6GB uncompressed, 4GB compressed)
119 arpeggiator-presets
95 effect-presets
52 trancegate-presets
Free shipping

Mac minimum system requirements
AudioUnit, VST or RTAS host software
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz or Intel 1.5 GHz processor
1GB of RAM (2GB or more highly recommended)
Display with 1024-by-768 or higher resolution
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
DVD drive for installation
Free USB-port for eLicenser
Internet connection to download license

Available disk space
4GB to install the plugin and factory content
Approx. 1GB per installed expansion
Approx. 20GB to install all expansions

The Arpeggiator
You know it, and so do we: Dance music would not exist without those magical arpeggios that bounce around in your head weeks after you heard “that track” at the club. So we didn’t skimp on NEXUS 2’s redesigned Arpeggiator. A 32-step sequencer, note and octave transposition, and adjustable loop start position are just a few of the controls you’ll want to go deep with as you build up your tracks. Apply some of the dedicated Arpeggiator presets to NEXUS 2 sounds to create a raging, punishing barrage of sound, or an uplifting, magnetic melody. If you hear it in your head, NEXUS 2’s Arpeggiator can do it.

The TranceGate
Add hypnotic, goosebump-inducing rhythmic effects to your sound with NEXUS 2’s redesigned TranceGate. Work with the intuitive, freely adjustable 32-step sequencer to nail the exact rhythm you hear in your head. Use the tempo-synced delay and fade-in controls to add spaced-out delays and subtle, gradual floods of sound. Change the loop start position, and pan gated sounds between right and left channels to create an enveloping stereo image. Or turn to the store of dedicated TranceGate presets, which allow you to convert any NEXUS 2 sound into a pulsating wave of sonic bliss.

The Mixer/FX
As with all other parts of NEXUS 2, we’ve made the fusion of power and simplicity the basis of the Mixer/FX section. You want an intuitive, flexible, and above all, premium-grade set of tools when it’s time to add finishing touches to your NEXUS 2 sounds. Dedicated FX presets help you add gloss and sheen in just the right places. A reverb and analog phaser from Arts Acoustic, a stereo enhancer, and two FX slots are just three ways we’ve sweetened the deal in the NEXUS 2’s Mixer/FX section.

The Modulation
NEXUS 2 provides nearly endless modulation possibilities; whether you want to use “traditional” LFO pitch modulation or go completely out there and tweak phaser feedback, for example. Let your imagination run wild: Just choose your source and your destination and let NEXUS 2 make it happen.

The Mother Lode of Sound
NEXUS 2 redefines the term “factory presets” with a massive 6 GB library of more than 1000 pristine, high-resolution sounds that have been painstakingly crafted by sound-design wunderkind Manuel Schleis. These are the sounds—not sound-a-likes—that grace top productions from every corner of the electronic music world. Magnetic, uplifting leads, spine-tingling arpeggios; flooding, glowing, ethereal pads; deep, cone-rattling basses... all here, waiting to light up your productions. As if that weren’t enough, NEXUS 2 also includes the acclaimed Dance, Vol. 2 and ROM Expansions—both bursting at the seams with dancefloor-destroying sounds—free. And when you’re ready to take your sound in new directions, you won't have to look far: Check out our collection of 40 NEXUS 2 Expansions—covering every genre you're passionate about—all created by the world’s top sound designers.

Beauty and Brains
If you’ve ever stared vacantly at an incomprehensibly complex GUI—wondering how to get the sound you want—we’ve got you covered: NEXUS 2 puts the producer’s experience at the heart of its library system, closing the distance between you and the sound you’re after. Never again scratch your head trying to remember the name of that sound you loved so much, simply do a search and let NEXUS 2 do the remembering for you. Create favorites folders with go-to sounds for all your different projects, so that they are right at your fingertips when inspiration strikes, and create categories of sounds to speed up and streamline your production work.

--------------------------------------------

discuss.....

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

At this point in time,......im leaning toward the NEXUS 2

Last edited:
They aren't really comparable.

Omnisphere is filled with dramatic, reverbed, choirs synths.

Nexus is filled with the usual populare bread and butter sounds.

omnisphere is crawling with sounds, over 7k organic pads strings voice, synths etc.. i love it, Nexus cool for synths, just think of a more advanced vanguard with bigger synths, so it depends on what type of sounds you're looking for and what you like to use.

Omnisphere has INCREDIBLE pad/dreamy shit and you can also go into stack mode to combine sounds. Multiple instances WILL rapes your cpu though as mentioned.

Nexus has all you will ever need for dance tracks but I use it for everything. The dance orchestra expansion has good brass and strings for hip hop. Its not bad on the cpu at all.

I ended up getting Nexus because its just more simple and has the sounds I need.

They aren't really comparable.

Omnisphere is filled with dramatic, reverbed, choirs synths.

Nexus is filled with the usual populare bread and butter sounds.

it is more to omnisphere than dramatic, reverbed, choirs synths...

there are tons of vintage synth patches in omnisphere...

you are going to need a very nice computer to run omnisphere...

Yes It's very high in cpu..

but...

Where Nexus is more of a rompler, omnisphere is more synthesizer...

I think the modulation possibilities in Omnisphere are higher as opposed to Nexus.

Omnisphere is a real workhorse but Nexus is easier and a little more "current"

I would go with Nexus, but I'm not really into real intricate synthesis...I wouldn't know what to do with 8 independant arps lol

good luck on your purchase tho, either one is great :cheers:

edit: It also highly depends on which type of music you make...Omnisphere has tons of pads, Nexus is more known for it's leads.

Last edited:
right.... and i don't think you can really compare the 2, it's not like you're comparing ivory vs. the grand, or true pianos... these are 2 totally different plugs.. And of course Omnisphere is way more well rounded than nexus, and it does nothing to my cpu but you do have to have it fixed up, but that just goes to show much went into those sounds. And the synths in it are are crazy as well with an extensive list of other useful stuff.

lol as i said earlier nexus - a bigger vanguard period. So use your own discretion with that. If you do electronic music and just love synths, although i'm sure you already have a lot of synths then i guess grab this. But if you like a cross over between not only great sounding synths but organic sounds, pads, distorted, and the list goes on and on.. like i said 7k plus of nothing but sounds.

honestly just find a way to get both lol. A lot of people don't use omnisphere just for the simple fact that they don't have a strong enough computer, sooooo get your cpu game up lol. For me the thing to have is no restrictions. the easy way out is what most people will go fro anyway.

Last edited:
omisphere is better sounding and a more robust synth. It also has more content. I like nexus its cool too, but more for grabbing a quick preset. Also all the add on content for nexus is cool but expensive if you want it all. Nexus will be much easier on your computer though. omni needs a good cpu and as much ram as possible.

Omnisphere. I use Omnisphere extensively in all my tracks. I can't live without it.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Omnisphere has INCREDIBLE pad/dreamy shit and you can also go into stack mode to combine sounds. Multiple instances WILL rapes your cpu though as mentioned.

Nexus has all you will ever need for dance tracks but I use it for everything. The dance orchestra expansion has good brass and strings for hip hop. Its not bad on the cpu at all.

I ended up getting Nexus because its just more simple and has the sounds I need.

Omnisphere has all that trance and dance stuff too. Plus one hell of an arp programmer.

All you have to do with those pads and dreamy fx is turn down the attack, and turn down the release, and boom, you got those dance/trance synths instead of pads.

Omnisphere has tons of pads, Nexus is more known for it's leads.

i do not own nexus and not saying omnisphere is better or worst but the "facts" are you need a nice machine... it is more to omnisphere than dramatic, reverbed, choirs synths... omnisphere has tons of leads... if you do not own omnisphere you cant really speak on it (the same way i cant speak on nexus)... it took me about 8 to 9 months to go thru "all" the sounds (with daily use)... in other words you cant sit down with omnisphere for a hour or two and walk away with a "complete" understanding of the instrument... impossible!!!

i do not own nexus and not saying omnisphere is better or worst but the "facts" are you need a nice machine... it is more to omnisphere than dramatic, reverbed, choirs synths... omnisphere has tons of leads... if you do not own omnisphere you cant really speak on it (the same way i cant speak on nexus)... it took me about 8 to 9 months to go thru "all" the sounds (with daily use)... in other words you cant sit down with omnisphere for a hour or two and walk away with a "complete" understanding of the instrument... impossible!!!

Exactly. Alot of people sleep on all the crazy leads and electro synthy sounds in Omnisphere. There are a ton of those kind of sounds in there. I'm still discovering sounds that I never knew were there, and I've had the retail version of Omnisphere for over a year.

Exactly. Alot of people sleep on all the crazy leads and electro synthy sounds in Omnisphere. There are a ton of those kind of sounds in there. I'm still discovering sounds that I never knew were there, and I've had the retail version of Omnisphere for over a year.

a better name for omnisphere is "MASSIVE"...

i know that name is taken already but omnisphere is massive!!!

have not begun to talk about layering, arps, efx, etc yet...

I own Nexus and use Omnisphere at a studio so I do know both products...If you read my entire post I think it's a pretty good assesment of both..

Rompler vs Synthesizer

I never said Omnisphere doesn't have leads, I said It's mostly KNOWN for it's pads

We can go all out discussing both vsti's in depth, but like a "Reason vs FL" discussion the OP probably isn't any wiser in the end about which one to buy.

I'm not into synthesis so Nexus fits better with me, If you do like synthesis there's no doubt...Omnisphere is more for you.

Nexus is easier, and has good sounds.
Omnisphere is better, more powerfull but is more intricate.

I have learned that a large library is not always a good thing tho, but that's my experience

I own Nexus and use Omnisphere at a studio so I do know both products...If you read my entire post I think it's a pretty good assesment of both..

Rompler vs Synthesizer

I never said Omnisphere doesn't have leads, I said It's mostly KNOWN for it's pads

We can go all out discussing both vsti's in depth, but like a "Reason vs FL" discussion the OP probably isn't any wiser in the end about which one to buy.

I'm not into synthesis so Nexus fits better with me, If you do like synthesis there's no doubt...Omnisphere is more for you.

Nexus is easier, and has good sounds.
Omnisphere is better, more powerfull but is more intricate.

I have learned that a large library is not always a good thing tho, but that's my experience

That's what Ultra said. If you want to "grab n go", then Nexus is what you want.

But if you want options to tweak and design sounds, then Omnisphere is the way to go.

I love fine tuning my sounds to get them exactly right, so they don't sound like the sounds that the next man used. So that's why I chose Omnisphere.

That's what Ultra said. If you want to "grab n go", then Nexus is what you want.

But if you want options to tweak and design sounds, then Omnisphere is the way to go.

I love fine tuning my sounds to get them exactly right, so they don't sound like the sounds that the next man used. So that's why I chose Omnisphere.

I said it two posts before Ultra so why say "That's what Ultra said" :confused:

Romplers are all about grab 'n go

Thanks everyone for their input!!! (even though this is the first time i have been in this thread since i made it)

well i made my purchase & went with nexus2 for my macbook pro

currently installing now (which wasn't the easiest to do i might add)

i'll keep everyone updated to see if it actually runs later tonight..

hopefully the $375 was worth it. (349.99 + 25). The 25 was for the steinberg key. Nexus2 does come with a free one but takes 2-5 days for you to receive it...and i didnt feel like waiting

damn it's been an expensive week......i got iLIfe '11....copped an M-Audio Axiom 25 (2nd edition)....one of those avid new ones..and a couple diamond supply co. shirts

anyone who wants to buy a M-Audio Radium 49 in great condition get at me.

Last edited:
i have never used omnisphere but from what it sounds like i use Reason jus as if i would use OMnisphere.....

Rewire is your friend my friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back