Plugin that kills audio above a certain threshold (not a limiter)

Yesbaby

Hey,

I'm having a big issue with my DAW and before i loose my hearing or blow my speakers i'm forced to do something about it.
I've tried step-by-step going through all my plugins etc to find the issue and i've spent several hours trying to figure out where the problem comes from, but so far no good.

The problem is once in a while, a random plugin or sound just hangs up and explodes in volume. The audio it generates is so loud and disturbing i'm surprised i can still hear normal and my monitors are still working.
It really doesn't matter how low i'm mixing at that certain time, because the noise seems to override every limit there is. In other words, there is no limit to how loud this incredibly evil sound is. It's either just pure white noise or noise from any random frequency.

The question is therefor, is there any plugin i can set on my master that - with an instant - kills the audio instantly before it explodes? In fear of loosing my hearing or blowing up my monitors i'm in desperate need of this.

Cheers.

Which daw do you use? Sounds to me like you want a gate plugin that can operate in reverse. There should be alternatives out there. And if you happen to use Ableton there's a flip switch on the gate plugin that activates that behavior, ie, silence everything caught above the given threshold.

That would be ReaGate (which is free to use with any daw, you don't actually have to try reaper) . Seems there's plenty of options if you just look around a bit

Last edited:
What DAW do you use? This is an odd issue. I'm pretty sure you'd need hardware between your monitors and computer to resolve the issue. A plug in would more than likely fail within the DAW if the DAW is generating the issue.

Your best bet would probably be to resolve the issue within the DAW, it has to effect others than just yourself, search the DAW's forums for a solution.

Thanks alot for your replies.

I'm using FL Studio 11. I just recently bought new hardware for my computer as my harddrive and motherboard failed. I had this issue before the new parts were bought so it's obviously something not hardware related. Iv'e tried formatting and re-installing with just the minimum basics in fl studio and it still happens. A random synth faults (can also be fl studio's integrated ones) and the mixer channel on that specific vst just explodes way beyond 0 db.

I found a similar thread after some intensive google'ing and i'l try some limiter\gating tricks.

Do you mean there's suddenly a superloud sound, or do you mean you hear a loud crack and suddenly it's silent, like a heavy infrasound pushing the amplitude to the maximum?

If the first, a limiter should still do it, it may sound squashed wen it happens, but it should be enough.
Though if you still want an inverted gate, you could use the Maximus and manually edit the dynamic curve to cut out any sound that goes above a certain level.
But personally I don't like the idea of doing this on the Master since you can encounter annoying stutter from the peaks in the input signal to the Maximus.

If the second, head over to the KVR plugin database and look for a freeware DC Offset remover plugin.

Back