Looking for new VST instruments

Wallengard

Manipulator of energy
I'm on the hunt for some new VST instruments for my collection. The VST instrument certainly doesn't have to be new on the market, or even well known.
Preferably (almost a must) is for me to be able to demo it.

I'm looking for something with extensive modulation capabilities, preferably arpeggiator/step sequencers built in and other such juciy stuff. It doesn't need to have a ginormous section for delays and reverbs and what ever effects might be present since I've got plenty of my own.

I'm very fascinated by Absynth, SynthMaster and Zebra type synths.

I don't really care what type of synthesis it is at this point, I'm just looking for the next best thing for my productions.

So far I've got;

Massive
Absynth
Reaktor
FM8 (random timbres deluxe)
SynthMaster
Zebra
Diva
Albino
D16 LuSH
Sylenth (only one I'm not quite happy with)
Spire
Harmor

For Cubase I've got, Padshop PRO and Neo Soul Keys.

I don't want Nexus, Omnisphere or Trillian, and nothing with a too hefty price tag as I have spent pretty much on plugins already, I am just looking for something nice and fresh. Of course, if the hefty price tag comes with a well worth vst instrument, it doesn't really matter.

I'm on a Windows PC x64.

Any suggestions I could have a look at will be greatly appreciated!
Let the games begin!

Last edited:
I'll probably spend quite some more time with the demo than an hour before I go ahead and buy it though, I'm quite picky and don't like to spend any money on something that I am not 100% sure I will love and use frequently.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Yeah sylenth wasn't exactly my brightest moment.. It has great sound, but it really is a one trick pony.

alchemy is good fun

I have a collection of free vsts that I have accumulated over many years some are very cool some less so but all are free

some of my favourites are

barking wombat
amoeba
anemone
particle fountain

pm for more details on where to find them

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I reckon I'll have to give Alchemy a go as well then. Am currently fooling around with Serum, it seems very capable, but the presets that came with it are absolutely horrendous.. Doesn't seem to reflect what this thing could possibly do.

Since I started this thread yesterday I've been wondering a lot about what kind of things I am looking for to add to my production endeavours, and believe it or not, as late as today I rediscovered ReWire, and since I have and used Ableton for a few years, this really opened up a whole new world for me to fiddle around with in Cubase.

So now I've been thinking, seeing as rewire was a joint effort of both Steinberg and Propellerheads in the first place, about getting Reason for the sole purpose of using it as a giant instrument in Cubase.

Now I don't necessarily want to go out and get the most expensive version with everything included unless I could somehow use all of it. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
What I want is instruments and effects, the modulation options that I can't do with Cubase.

I used to use reason way back when it was version 4 or something like that, so I have intermediate knowledge of what's going on in it. But back then I had a pretty hard time squeezing the juice out of it, I was inexperienced and it wasn't really until just a couple of years ago that I started branching out and talk about music production with people (mostly online). So it's fair to say I've learned a LOT since then and now I'm thinking about getting it, since essentially it would work as one ginormous vst instrument in my current daw, and since most daws ditch the use of vsts when running as a rewire slave, it seems like a good fit for the job.

Also please keep the vst suggestions coming this way. The less i am familiar with them, the less known to me the better. :-)

Last edited:
I have Zebra already and I tried Elements and Dune2, didn't like them very much as neither of them really introduced anything I couldn't do already.

I have some recollection of trying Twin2 at some point.. I was under the impression that it would be different, when in fact it wasn't except for its sound which I wasn't too fond of. But we're definitely on the right page now.. Something like that. I love how it looks and feels just not what came out of it. :O

Ah yes.. I am a big fan of u-He plugins, I use both zebra and Diva extensively but I'm a little bit intimidated by this what seems like a proper modular synth, not like the semi modulations I'm used to.

I belive I will demo it today and take a crash course on modular synthesis.

Zeta looks promising too, at least from what I read on paper. Can't believe I haven't heard of it before. Now I've got plenty to keep myself occupied for weeks to come in terms of chasing the next love (not to mention the potential hidden gems, Bandcoach) . The most interesting ones for me so far is Bazille and Zeta, but who knows.. A couple of features is enough to shift this in an entirely different direction. :-)

But keep the suggestions coming by all means!

I found a synth called mpowersynth by melda production that might be worth having a look at for anyone looking to find something new.

Last edited:
Back