hiphop producer looking for input on which VST to purchase

rasol

hey guys, i am a new producer, only been going for about half a year and have decided to purchase a more prominent vst to give me more to work with. here are my choices so far:

Nexus: i like how the interface is simple as i am new, and does anyone know if the hiphop exp is any good? but it also seems like it favors trance/house

Massive: sounds like the sounds out of this program are very deep and the synth possibilities are endless, seems like from reading tho that it favors electro music

Sylnth: just been reading it is a good program, cant remember if it has instrument presets tho

Omnisphere: love how big the sound library is, just the 500$ price tag is a bit high

I am looking for a vst that does synths well and gives a nice preset library. so i was also thinking maybe i could purchase nexus and then get harmless as well.

thanks for any input guys.

I have nexus and it is cool. Definitely not an all in one tool though. It adds a nice modern icing to my tracks. The trance gate effect is pretty badass!

All of those plugins are all over your favorite hip-hop beats, don't worry what genre you think it's intended for, there are no genre specific VSTs

All of those plugins are all over your favorite hip-hop beats, don't worry what genre you think it's intended for, there are no genre specific VSTs

that pretty much sums it up, I'd say download the demos and see which one is best or easiest for you to use. Some take a lil more time tweaking the sounds to your liking and some are just a few knobs

Rapture- hiphop n edm. Its kinda mainstream. Rap too. Sounds similar to a combo between system 1. Juno. Oberheim. By cakewalk.com ironically. And roland. Which is cool.

Zeta2. By cakewalk. Neo-nu silver sound. Additive synth but good. Tone shaper.

Dimenion pro by cakewalk. Legit drums for hip hop. And there are expansions. Great orchestra too.

Those three usually go on sale cheap at pluginboutique.com for 14-34 dollars u.s. each. But they typically sell for 99 u.s. dollars. Either way they are worth it.

Purchase presets seperate ofcourse at cakewalk for those.

Synthmaster is a do it all gentle synth.

sylenth1 is great for trance and house.
listen to presets at places like dancemidisamples.com. search google heres where to find sounds yay future producers.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/getting-started/heres-where-buy-sounds-yay-485809/

My post on it with all of them.

To me cakewalk is the best choice for hip hop for me. But you have to pick what you personally want to sound like ofcourse.

I would rather not spend gobs on nexus when you can also find presets for other synths too at my post where to find sounds yay. Use google search though to find it.

Faith Fox

Last edited:
Out of what you listed I'd say that Massive or Sylenth is a great place to start. Both have TONS of presets you can find that would be what youre looking for.

massive, sylenth and omnisphere are 3 of my favorite synths.

nexus is a rip off. it's not even refx's best product, vanguard is better.

Rob Papen, Blue II - lot's of presets

Checkout Arturia's site, if you want presets their lab software ( free with minilab controller 5000presets but there is limited control/ functionality. Arturia expect you to buy the full version of the modelled synth and add them into the lab for full functionality and unrestricted access to controls)

Last edited:
Back