Are VST's officially better than Hardware Synths/Workstations?

-/-

Is it pointless to buy an audio interface and midi cables to support a...lets say Motif or Fantom, when the PLETHORA of VSTS results in millions of sounds and endless editing capabilities? Just trying to get some other opinions on this topic

its not officially better.. but im so glad I sold all my hardware synths and samplers/drum machines, never looking back now and I don't miss them at all.. like you said, get a good lil vsti collection and you are good to go!

Never used it honestly, so I can't really judge it. it seems pretty cool though, but I'm sticking to my guns..

simply there is no point in praising one over the other both have their place - I'd much rather use hardware in a live situation

I'd much rather use hardware in a live situation

Yeah, +1 to this. Computers can do a lot of things, which is both a pro and con -- they bring instability to the situation.
Network drivers cause DPC stalls, and hibernating viruses can wake up at any time.

Another big advantage of some (portable) hardware is not having to tote a computer and cables along with your controller(s) for on-the-go production.
HARDWARE: Take an MPC1000, some batteries, and a pair of headphones, throw them in a backpack, and you're set.
SOFTWARE: Take maybe a laptop, an audio interface, a Maschine Mikro, 2 USB cables, bring your charger as a backup (because laptop batteries die in a few hours), probably a mouse, find a backpack which will fit all of these alongside anything else you want to bring, etc. If you want a small set of keys, too, make sure there's enough room for them and be sure to pack yet another cable. At this point, you might also need to pack a USB hub. Been there, done that.

Producing on-the-go can be inspiring because you expose yourself to semi-random stimuli which might start your creative dabblings from a different entry point, thereby causing shifts in perspective. How's that for a mouthful? ;)

With that said, I currently have an all-software studio setup with heavy tactile control -- MCU Pro, Automap for plugins, etc. That's what works out for me.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
i'd say vst's are easier... you just get it on your computer and the mobile factor is very helpful.. you can make beats anywhere with hardware it may be alot harder..

Yeah, +1 to this. Computers can do a lot of things, which is both a pro and con -- they bring instability to the situation.
Network drivers cause DPC stalls, and hibernating viruses can wake up at any time.

Another big advantage of some (portable) hardware is not having to tote a computer and cables along with your controller(s) for on-the-go production.
HARDWARE: Take an MPC1000, some batteries, and a pair of headphones, throw them in a backpack, and you're set.
SOFTWARE: Take maybe a laptop, an audio interface, a Maschine Mikro, 2 USB cables, bring your charger as a backup (because laptop batteries die in a few hours), probably a mouse, find a backpack which will fit all of these alongside anything else you want to bring, etc. If you want a small set of keys, too, make sure there's enough room for them and be sure to pack yet another cable. At this point, you might also need to pack a USB hub. Been there, done that.

Producing on-the-go can be inspiring because you expose yourself to semi-random stimuli which might start your creative dabblings from a different entry point, thereby causing shifts in perspective. How's that for a mouthful? ;)

With that said, I currently have an all-software studio setup with heavy tactile control -- MCU Pro, Automap for plugins, etc. That's what works out for me.

-Ki
Salem Beats

About the portability factor, one thing to keep in mind is that laptops are getting smaller and smaller.

So with a laptop like a MacBook Air or the new Windows touch laptops and a small keyboard controller you can have a very portable setup.

This usually can even come in a bit lighter than a workstation keyboard which can be pretty heavy.

About the portability factor, one thing to keep in mind is that laptops are getting smaller and smaller.

So with a laptop like a MacBook Air or the new Windows touch laptops and a small keyboard controller you can have a very portable setup.

This usually can even come in a bit lighter than a workstation keyboard which can be pretty heavy.

Laptops are small enough -- the problem is in having multiple devices.

Have you ever actually tried to whip out a little laptop-based production system on a bus, as a passenger in a car, or on a plane?
I have.
It goes down much better on paper than it does it reality, at least in my experience.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I'm not gonna say software is better than hardware, but it's a lot less expensive to use software. Yeah, laptops can be pricey, but if you get all hardware, you still need a computer. In the long run it's easier to go with software. Unless you have the money AND space to put everything.

I don't follow the logic of requiring a computer to use hardware - I have a hardware based multi-track hdd recorder which I can record, mix and post-produce on - I do not need a computer to do anything with the content, as I can even burn compliant Audio Cd's from it and then use my purpose designed CD duplicator to make copies of it.

What i mean is, a lot of people mix and distribute with a computer. No you don't NEED a computer. You don't NEED a lot of things. Most people buy what fits their needs. A lot of people buy computer because they feel more comfortable with them over a multi track recorder. It's no right or wrong way.

I agree. I don't think abut making music when I'm in the car, bus or plan. I'm listening to music or talking to my wife and son. That's usually my break time. My time to get inspired. My time to appreciate other musical talent.

Yes an No.

I 100% agree w/ what Salem mentioned above. I'm also 90% software, but put a lot of thought and effort into having tactile control.

However.. to put it in perspective... I'll be grabbing a Yamaha Motif XS rack and Access Virus TI2 Desktop by the end of this year. Why? Because the Motif has damn near every acosutic sound imaginable in one unit, and the Virus the same for synths. And both have software extensions of themselves (which I am praying they work well). I don't know of any VST that is as all in one as the Motif (or similar rompler). I've used Nexus... it's not a Motif. I've used Kontakt's stock library.. it's great, but not a Motif.

You have to really start combining plugins to get what a really good hardware rompler does.Now... if cost is a factor... software is the best thing ever. But once you have more of a budget to throw at your studio... hardware can be very useful and rewarded.It's not really a "versus" thing. I'ts more of a preference and moreso how things fit in your workflow. Not really a "does one sound better than the other" thing... b/c software has absolutely caught up and maybe surpassed hardware instruments... and even some effects.

So... i think a combination of the two is in order. I can't wait until more hardware companies include software solutions with their hardware. Like... I would love to have a Distressor that somehow has a VST insert that does all of the routing for you, and will recall the settings on your hardware. That would be insanely useful...

Last edited:
in my experience... i cant see being productive on a bus, car or plane... too many distractions... i feel/think ios app is best for those situations...

in my opinion... making music on a bus, in a car or on a plane is showing off that one makes music... in those envirnoments i.e. bus, plane, car... listening to music is more productive... in my experience...

Placing a link to your music in your signature is also "showing off that one makes music", as well. Nothing wrong with that! ;)

Back when I had a portable production station, I ended up giving out lots of business cards by pulling out my MPK Mini or my Maschine Mikro. It's so abnormal to see someone playing music on the bus that people can't resist commenting on it.
Still, if I had an MPC1000 at the time, it would've been much more convenient to do this.

EDIT: I was gonna hit "reply" a lot sooner, but I got distracted by the new Maschine and forgot all about this thread. Lol.

-Ki
Salem Beats

there is a difference... but i have notice you have to win every argument

There's an argument? That's news to me. I thought I was simply sharing my experiences.

i-dunno-lol_1_.jpg

good luck with that marketing strategy... i would love to see an episode of you on "Behind the Music" showing how you made it making beats on the city bus!!

It was never a "marketing strategy" -- I simply did it to try it out, and I always carry business cards with me (as every businessman should!).

It did inspire new ideas, but by the time I hooked everything together and started it all up, I didn't have much time left on the bus ride to do much. I had to quit early enough to have time to tear it all down before the end of the ride :(

Back on topic, though: With dedicated hardware (i.e., MPC1000), I could just pull it out and turn it on, simple as that.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
No its kind of apples and oranges and largely depends on your needs. If you are a preset guy then I personally see no reason to use hardware at this point. if you are a workstation guy I see no reason to use hardware unless you want something authentic say for example an actual Wurlitzer rather than a sample of a Wurlitzer. When it comes to actual synthesizers it again still depends because I would take FM8 any day over a DX7 because of all of the menu diving on the hardware unit. At the same time I would probably take a Jupiter 8 over any emulation of it if money was not an issue. In live situations hardware is king there is no debating that but in the studio I feel software offers a lot more capability. I don't find software to bring instability at this point depending on what you software you are using. A lot of people perform using software these days. Decide how you want to work and what kind of music you want to make and run with it.

question... where are you from? try pulling an mpc1000 out on a puplic bus here in the states you would be going home without it... both your inspiration and mpc1000 would be gone:pointing:

I would suggest looking in the upper-right corner of any one of my posts. The location for any FP user is made public there from anyone who cares to share it. ;)

My laptop+Maschine Mikro+audio interface were worth more than an MPC1000. I've never had any problems. Maybe you just live in a really bad area.

Even then, there have been two shootings in the last apartment complex I lived in, but I still get away without being mugged or anything. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I just don't look like an easy target. *Shrug*.

Following your logic, would you be afraid to pull out an iPhone 5S or Galaxy S4 on a public bus?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
oh Oregon... now i understand... the air is a little different out there:pointing:

As I asked in my edit, are people scared to whip out an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S4 on the bus where you live? Would you be? Those are about as valuable as an MPC1000.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I don't find software to bring instability at this point depending on what you software you are using. A lot of people perform using software these days. Decide how you want to work and what kind of music you want to make and run with it.

It's not the music software itself, it's the other stuff going on with the computer -- automatic OS updates, WiFi polling, the viruses which the pirates get when they install stolen software, your antivirus software stalling RAM I/O while it tries to ensure that nothing is hooking into the OS, power-saving features (some of which you might not be aware of), etc.

You can optimize and hunt down these problems, but there's still a chance that you might've missed one or two.

Like you said, DAW software itself and plugins are generally stable.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
As I asked in my edit, are people scared to whip out an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S4 on the bus where you live? Would you be? Those are about as valuable as an MPC1000.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

It's not the music software itself, it's the other stuff going on with the computer -- automatic OS updates, WiFi polling, the viruses which the pirates get when they install stolen software, your antivirus software stalling RAM I/O while it tries to ensure that nothing is hooking into the OS, power-saving features (some of which you might not be aware of), etc.

You can optimize and hunt down these problems, but there's still a chance that you might've missed one or two.

Like you said, DAW software itself and plugins are generally stable.

-Ki
Salem Beats
I turned off auto updates and i don't pirate software. I haven't had any issues like that.

Back