switching to Ubuntu

Red_Orb

Hi guys. I just made the decision to finally switch to Ubuntu for my computing needs. I was wondering, since I'm even willing to start pushing that LMMS "swag" now, what plugins can run on Ubuntu? How do I go about installing all the plugins I bought on windows? How about installing my soundcard? Would I be able to use my midi controllers with ease on this platform? I don't mind the challenge, I'm just getting tired of windows and it's problems.

I think you will have more problems on Ubuntu with music production and setting up everything. Maybe is better for you to stay on windows. Also I don't think that here are many people that use Ubuntu.

You must be kidding, right?! Maybe it's easier to explain and try to correct your windows problem of which I have none.....

Yeah, that's prolly true. I was busy tryna figure out how I would go about setting up my 8i6 to work in it. Everything I read just looked so bleak. Dudes were complaining for days!!! That being said my problem with windows is that I've been having issues getting my usb ports to work well with me. They don't give my soundcard any probs but my controllers and mouse are giving me a headache. I don't do anything on my pc but make music now so switching would have to include forking the bill for a copy of bitwig since I heard it's basically ableton but linux friendly. I wouldn't even miss any of my synths but operator. I love operator.

The problem with my usb is that I know it has nothing to do with being externally powered cause my external still works and that is usb powered. It can ***** though so I wouldn't put that beyond my pc. Perhaps getting a new laptop would fix the whole issue. Besides I don't need some 8 core processor pushing 3.2Ghz on each cell. I just need a simple duo core pushing 2Ghz+/- (though mine is 3.2) and 4 gigs of ram and I'll be fine.

1) Try a powered hub just to be sure that your ports aren't being drained.....USB issues are usually over stressed motherboards or out-of-date drivers.

2) Have you upgraded your USB controller drivers......(Try DriverMax, Demo version allows 2 FREE driver installs per day or Premium, which you can renew all drivers in one go for 30 days @ $20 )

3) Bitwig's still in Infancy stage , isn't ready for production ($300 Toy):

NO
- Multitrack midi out routing
- Multitrack recording (ezdrummer, superior, addictive, and other multitrack)
- Vst etc.
- Massive errors.......

So, save your money for now, wait till later....believe me!

Last edited:
I would add to the USB issues that the spec says each port should be capable of supplying 2A @ 5v but in reality most mobo manufacturers implement as 2A @5 v across all ports on the buss, so if you have 8 ports on your machine (common number) that means that each port is supplying 250mA (0.25A), which is far below expectations of external devices requiring serious power (10W of power per USB port, 80W total across all 8 USB ports)

So get a few external powered USB hubs and see if this fixes the problems you are experiencing - changing OS will not fix this manufacturing shortfall

Back