Switching from FL Studio 10 to Ableton Live 8... Worth it?

I think Ableton is easy to learn. What most users miss is that Ableton has built-in tutorials under the help menu. That is all you need to get started. Simply follow each lesson and you'll be at equal proficiency as with your previous DAW.

Considering that DAWs are all a matter of opinion, you would have to try it to know if you'd like it. Personally I think the workflow of Ableton is SH*T. FL is capable of doing more than reason, more than logic and more than Ableton.

I'd sure like to hear the music behind these opinions :rolleyes:. I own every major DAW except Cubase (but I have Nuendo). I use Ableton the most for production. I like Reason, but its lack of VST support limits my projects. FL Studio is nice, and it was the only reason I installed W8 on bootcamp...but I find some things annoying about its workflow...especially browsing presets and managing mix channels. Logic is a very deep DAW and my ideal for mixing, mastering, recording. It is like protools but smoother workflow. I'd say I'm very proficient in all mentioned.

Often we judge software without really digging in...which is the case for most of the clients I teach. They say "Man! I didn't know that"...but they would have if they followed the included tutorials :rolleyes:. Too many times I get paid to explain what was already provided in the "quick start" pdf manual or, in the case of Ableton, the "help view" tutorials in the help menu. Another Ableton side-note: The intro version does no justice and is extremely limited. If you have a friend with the Suite, sit in on his/her session.

Last edited:
FL studio workflow is great but the mixer and assigning tracks can be cumbersome but there are ways around it by setting up your own default starter project files etc but still only rough mix when producing and mix in another DAW. I like speed and I'm the fastest on FL. Abelton Is horrible to me. My local beat maker rival hates FL but is a master on ableton and reason. It all comes down to preference and experience with the program but if you know the programs well enough you can produce the same sounding track on multiple daws.

Always been interested in logic because of the seemless workflow between producing and recording but its not necessary because I don't have a home recording studio. I also mix on Adobe Audition because I've always been a fan of cool edit pro. I just like sticking to what I know best and I suggest everyone else do the same unless you are willing to learn another DAW.

I've done music a long time on just about everything, I could not get into ableton's interface. I feel bad because I remember others saying that of other programs and thinking, "all this stuff is interchangeable, you should be able to work in anything".

Everything about that program confuses the hell out of me, but i will say this, guys who know it, can jump in it and work so fluently it's made me envious.

Not trying to divert anyone, you should definitely demo it, but if you know FL well, why not stick to your guns. I think alot of people jump from Fl because of how it's perceived to be a novice program by guys who shouldn't matter.

I've made some of my best music in FL, I doubt anyone who's utilized the tools in FL while using it that has jumped to another program can honestly say different.

Abelton has just so many advantages. Mentioning the macro function is one. Dada Life went to Abelton for this reason among others. I´m on Logic/Abelton Live with Push controller; and I must say, Abelton Rocks. But it has some stupid flaws. One - for me - is the ability to choose a track with the mouse and press S (or any other letter) and that track will SOLO. I haven´t found a workaround for that. Have to solo it with the mouse or solo the first 8 tracks with the Function keys. It´s small stuff like this that irritates me. Other than that, Abelton Live is really the bomb in my opinion.
So is Logic :)

Back