Reason questions

Droppoutt

Yo.

Is it alright if I use a combinator for everything? I'm used to FL's simple link this to this channel add FX and it'll apply to this sound.

Could I make a combinator, put NN-XT in it (or Redrum,synths,etc) then all my other stuff (EQs,mixers,etc) and it'll work out fine?

How I have my rack set up when I start is I put a mixer and name it Master Mixer below the hardware interface (or w/e it's called) then I put a mastering suite above it and name it Mastering then set it to bypass until I'm ready to turn it on.

What's the best setup and way to drop things in without having to mess with all those wires? It's confusing as hell.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
no reason not strictly accurate to use the combinator , the conbinator uses up to 25 lin mixer with it can connect various types Rdrum + nn -xt instruments and cause the sample nn touch the first note with the rdrum channel 1 .

conbinator serves to collect instruments and effects , but is not anything beyond that, you can join the rdrum kong without lin mixer 25 or conbinator only link to Cabor clikando the TAB key, the reason is a big monster softoware already use it since version 2.5.

makes the following conbinator forgets and makes a hit at kong or rdrum then makes a bass line in nn -xt without conbinator lin mixer or after the normal mixer , you have options to connect it the effects on each channel or you can simply clikar the rdrum and add EQ and he will call on rdrum so if you want to connect the two going next on the mixer channel master RETRUM You add an EQ after it to AUX channel 1 23456789 usually channel 1 is beat it and you increase the density of effect after the 2 channel bass line doing the same and it will do the same rdrum .

very simple to use reason , excuse my english I'm from Portugal .

no reason not strictly accurate to use the combinator , the conbinator uses up to 25 lin mixer with it can connect various types Rdrum + nn -xt instruments and cause the sample nn touch the first note with the rdrum channel 1 .

conbinator serves to collect instruments and effects , but is not anything beyond that, you can join the rdrum kong without lin mixer 25 or conbinator only link to Cabor clikando the TAB key, the reason is a big monster softoware already use it since version 2.5.

makes the following conbinator forgets and makes a hit at kong or rdrum then makes a bass line in nn -xt without conbinator lin mixer or after the normal mixer , you have options to connect it the effects on each channel or you can simply clikar the rdrum and add EQ and he will call on rdrum so if you want to connect the two going next on the mixer channel master RETRUM You add an EQ after it to AUX channel 1 23456789 usually channel 1 is beat it and you increase the density of effect after the 2 channel bass line doing the same and it will do the same rdrum .

very simple to use reason , excuse my english I'm from Portugal .

I don't follow exactly but I think you misunderstood me.

I didn't mean I would have Redrum and NN-XT in the same combinator, I meant that I'd want to make a combinator for either one.

Yo.

Is it alright if I use a combinator for everything? I'm used to FL's simple link this to this channel add FX and it'll apply to this sound.

Could I make a combinator, put NN-XT in it (or Redrum,synths,etc) then all my other stuff (EQs,mixers,etc) and it'll work out fine?

How I have my rack set up when I start is I put a mixer and name it Master Mixer below the hardware interface (or w/e it's called) then I put a mastering suite above it and name it Mastering then set it to bypass until I'm ready to turn it on.

What's the best setup and way to drop things in without having to mess with all those wires? It's confusing as hell.

Thanks in advance.

most important question for me to ask you is which version of reason are you talking about??????

my advice is version dependent

my english sucks, you can use the combinator machine in any of the reason, but I do not see a need for it. I do see when you want to make your instrument, join various type machines within conbinator each with different timbre esters until the sound you want.

for example you have the reason pianos refill, and expands this conbinator ve as conbinator instrument works within it.

but you can also use the so conbinator rdrum and join in the EQ, Maximizer etc. etc., until you can do a funny thing is joining the Malstrom and connects it right into rdrum and do each effect type in dubstep beat for the best.

but returning your pregunta yes you can use any conbinator any machine without any problem.

in regards to FL's simple way of applying effects...in reason 5 all you have to do is open an FX box right beneath your instrument and it will connect (wire) automatically. then you can open another beneath that and another beneath that and they will chain. no wires just tweak the knobs

if take this same concept and put it inside a combinator, you can save it all as one instrument...so you can open it all at one time. on top of that you can pick a handful of parameters to tweak from the combinator. or a combination of parameters.

your rack setup...if you do that every time- with the master mixer and all that, set it up. save it, then go in reason preferences and set it as your starting template so you never have to set it up again

reason is very easy. you literally can do anything you dream up, just a matter of doing it and not overthinking it

Last edited:
in regards to FL's simple way of applying effects...in reason 5 all you have to do is open an FX box right beneath your instrument and it will connect (wire) automatically. then you can open another beneath that and another beneath that and they will chain. no wires just tweak the knobs

if take this same concept and put it inside a combinator, you can save it all as one instrument...so you can open it all at one time. on top of that you can pick a handful of parameters to tweak from the combinator. or a combination of parameters.

your rack setup...if you do that every time- with the master mixer and all that, set it up. save it, then go in reason preferences and set it as your starting template so you never have to set it up again

reason is very easy. you literally can do anything you dream up, just a matter of doing it and not overthinking it

Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

I wasn't sure if the combinator changed anything sound-wise or any other way.

a combinator is a fancy package/wrapper for containing a collection (combination) of fx, mixers, splitters/mergers, synths etc. It is acoustically transparent (i.e. it is not intended as an audio modifier on its own)...

It also allows you a single interface for controlling all of the contents via cv/internal knob/external midi learning

It has it's place in reason whether it's version 4, 5, 6 or 7. It is just whether you still try to use some of the older mixers with it or not that becomes an issue as in some of the earlier versions of Record and version 6 (can't speak for 7 as I have yet to give it a proper run) the audio math was not updated to match the ssl emulation used for the main mixing in versions 6+ and record 1+ - there is an audible difference between going straight to the ssl emulation and going via either the line 6 or the 14:2 mixers into an ssl mixer.

given that you are at version 5 this is not an issue that needs to be worried about

I certainly believe in using combinators to create self-contained instruments with fx - I have a very large redrum/fx combinator designed to specifically add delay, compression, eq and unison/chorusing to each output which I created in v5 - do not use it as much in 6.5 as the ssl allows me greater control

rec
a combinator is a fancy package/wrapper for containing a collection (combination) of fx, mixers, splitters/mergers, synths etc. It is acoustically transparent (i.e. it is not intended as an audio modifier on its own)...

It also allows you a single interface for controlling all of the contents via cv/internal knob/external midi learning

It has it's place in reason whether it's version 4, 5, 6 or 7. It is just whether you still try to use some of the older mixers with it or not that becomes an issue as in some of the earlier versions of Record and version 6 (can't speak for 7 as I have yet to give it a proper run) the audio math was not updated to match the ssl emulation used for the main mixing in versions 6+ and record 1+ - there is an audible difference between going straight to the ssl emulation and going via either the line 6 or the 14:2 mixers into an ssl mixer.

given that you are at version 5 this is not an issue that needs to be worried about

I certainly believe in using combinators to create self-contained instruments with fx - I have a very large redrum/fx combinator designed to specifically add delay, compression, eq and unison/chorusing to each output which I created in v5 - do not use it as much in 6.5 as the ssl allows me greater control

Thanks.

I wanted to use the combinators so I can clean up clutter on my screen and know where everything is and what's connected to what.

Yeah just use the combinators for everything, it makes it easy and you can save them as patches. And just a good rule in general is do things however you want, don't worry about other people's workflow, do it the way that makes it easier and faster for you.

Back