Question about Plugins

AvidityBeats

What's going on guys, brand new here and new at production. Been at it for about 6 months or so. Mainly digging deep in to tutorials and trying to educate myself in to understanding progressions, chords, melody structure etc etc. I have quite a great collection of vst's I use but would like to upgrade to other more professional ones not just ones I'm sure all are familiar with from beatproduction.net which is where I have built my arsenal from mainly. That and designing my own sounds from poizone and such factory plugins.
QUESTION...
I see a lot of people on youtube and such use Kontakt(i believe 5) and Gladiator as well as Sylenth1 (which I am fairly certain I'd like to get soon). I do not have windows 7/8 for Kontakt but am interested in the new year hopefully 1st quarter in getting a brand new computer thats more updated and has more room for production. What do you suggest is best for the bang of buck? I make about 23k a year and can't unload a few thousand in to plugins to boost my sound so just curious at what would be suggested as to what is best for the moment till i can upgrade more later

Thanks for the responses. I make mainly Hip Hop as well as Pop. I am fairly new at Pop but absolutely don't want to limit my sound to one area. Would like to learn EDM as well seeing that is the direction music is taking. I want to keep up with the trends but keep it original if that makes sense.
Komplete 9 was widely advertised on Kontakts site but didn't get around toviewing it. I'm running XP so I couldn't get it now if I wanted but would like to get a new computer by Xmas if I can getmy card paid off by then. Any recommendations on PC's while on topic? I just bought a Seagate terabyte external hd sonot worried bout memory consumption as I see Kontakt and Komplete are massive to say the least

If I was to buy one plugin and the price was an issue; here is my list, genre wise. Where I have listed more than one I say they - for me - are of similar importance.

TRANCE -> Synthmaster 2.6 (Nexus2 with some EDM expansions also comes close here)
FILM -> Omnisphere.
DANCE -> Nexus2
HOUSE -> Synthmaster 2.6
HIP HOP (leaving this one out but surely not synth master/nexus for this genre)

POP -> Komplete 9 )although expensive)

Omnisphere and Komplete will always come in handy, but they are expensive. Most bang for bucks for me has been Nexus2 for a long time.

If you are into EDM you also need a good set of loops. Vengeance complete is a decent set, or just the Essential House packs and Sound EFX packs.

With the mentioned Vengeance packs and Nexus2 with some expansion packs you have all you need to make great EDM. In my book.

Having said that; I have a forest of plug-ins; Waves Platinum, Sonnox Limiter and Inflator, Fabfilter Bundle, Soundtoyz Bundle, Omisphere, Trilian, Nexus 2, Gladiator 2, Sylenth2, EZ Drummer, BFD, Addictive Drums, Stylus, Ivory II, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Motu, EWL Choirs, Akoustic Piano, Melodyne, Autotune, Revoice Pro and many many more. Some of them I haven´t opened for months, others are my daily go to plugs. Lately now I use Synthmaster 2.6 a lot for EDM, which is what I´m into at the moment.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
and if you want to go the extra little bit, get Komplete 9 Ultimate; everything (just about) that NI sells, in one package
+1 If you are going to buy anything and you want the best bang for your buck with high quality sounds go Komplete 9 or Ultimate. I use Komplete 9 regular and I still have more than enough sounds. Maschine is also awesome but not required.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

If I was to buy one plugin and the price was an issue; here is my list, genre wise. Where I have listed more than one I say they - for me - are of similar importance.

TRANCE -> Synthmaster 2.6 (Nexus2 with some EDM expansions also comes close here)
FILM -> Omnisphere.
DANCE -> Nexus2
HOUSE -> Synthmaster 2.6
HIP HOP (leaving this one out but surely not synth master/nexus for this genre)

POP -> Komplete 9 )although expensive)

Omnisphere and Komplete will always come in handy, but they are expensive. Most bang for bucks for me has been Nexus2 for a long time.

If you are into EDM you also need a good set of loops. Vengeance complete is a decent set, or just the Essential House packs and Sound EFX packs.

With the mentioned Vengeance packs and Nexus2 with some expansion packs you have all you need to make great EDM. In my book.

Having said that; I have a forest of plug-ins. Almost too many. To mention. Waves, Sonnox, Fabfilter, Soundtoyz, Omisphere, Trilian, Nexus 2, Gladiator 2, Sylenth2, EZ Drummer, BFD, Addictive Drums, Stylus, Ivory II, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Motu, EWL Choirs, Akoustic Piano, Melodyne, Autotune, Revoice Pro and many many more. Some of them I haven´t opened for months, others are my daily go to plugs. Lately now I use Synthmaster 2.6 a lot for EDM, which is what I´m into at the moment.

Best of luck.
Oddly enough Nexus is popular among hip hop guys.

Side note after reading the rest of this thread you are still on Windows XP so I would say hold off on buying anything and make sure your PC has the power to run what you want to do. Try some freeware. A lot of it is older and requires a lower powered PC because of it but some of this stuff is very good. Look for Firebird, Proteus XV, Sampletank free, Amplitube free and learn the stuff that comes in whatever recording program you use. You may not need to buy anything at all.

well get sylenth1 and learn sound design in it.. that is your best bet bro...
Will Sylenth even run on XP? I'm not sure that it will. At least that is why I mentioned the freeware options because they sound good are powerful but usually don't eat up much cpu because they are older. Firebird is a dope ass synth for free. I suggest everyone download it.

Back