presonus studio

d1gd33p

Does anyone use presonus studio to sample? This seems like its more for composition than anything else. Does anyone know of any tutorials or videos of people sampling with presonus studio?

I can't wait for abelton to become compatible with windows 8. The only real reason I'm using presonus right now is because of the audio box.

any help or information is welcomed.

Presonus Studio One is a sick DAW. Funny thing, I was just talking about it in a different thread. But basically, it can do what all the other DAWs can do. You just need to get an understanding of what "sampling" is. You can record anything into it and chop it up just like every other program can. Can it man-handle audio like Ableton? No. But that doesn't mean it can't keep up with it. For the price it's a hell of a DAW, and my vote for future industry standard.

i never said that presonus was a bad daw and ive learned how to chop samples, drop them into impact and add effects i know how to do all that. i think my problem is that i started with fruity loops and the transition from that to presonus is a bit crazy. like layering is different. in fruity loops you could layer the pads in the fpc but you cant in impact the same way. i havent really learned that. in fruity loops it was easier to create our own drum sounds.

another problem im having is distinguishin how to use the snap correctly or to not use snap at all. i started to use the sample to align my drums more than likely just the snare. i just dont understand the snap and the timestretch features and im looking for more information than the tutorials 3 or 4 minute tutorials on youtube.

Pretty much all DAW's are the same.. - The only thing that separate them from one another is Layout[GUI] & unique features each one offers to make the job easier..

Check out WINKSOUND via YouTube.. they have a ton of vids on all the various DAW's on the market.

playlist?list=PL7AFA3AF8630D3F47

Basically what you're saying is that you lack experience in production, period. Whether you should use snap or not isn't DAW specific. Do you want a human feel or not? Layer sounds in impact? F$#* Impact, layer your own stuff without it then if that's all you have to work with.

Man up and take charge of your art and stop waiting for the perfect technology to make you what want to be.

Pablo Picasso didn't wait for anyone and he didn't make excuses. He just went to work and created stuff out of nothing, because that was his nature as an "artist".

No excuses.

Basically what you're saying is that you lack experience in production, period. Whether you should use snap or not isn't DAW specific. Do you want a human feel or not? Layer sounds in impact? F$#* Impact, layer your own stuff without it then if that's all you have to work with.

Man up and take charge of your art and stop waiting for the perfect technology to make you what want to be.

Pablo Picasso didn't wait for anyone and he didn't make excuses. He just went to work and created stuff out of nothing, because that was his nature as an "artist".

No excuses.

Lol.. a lot of TOP Tier producers getting paid millions don't know how to use ALL DAW's on the market.. - They to needed assistance when tackling new technology & techniques..

You should calm down a bit though.. - His inquiry was valid.

Lol.. a lot of TOP Tier producers getting paid millions don't know how to use ALL DAW's on the market.. - They to needed assistance when tackling new technology & techniques..

You should calm down a bit though.. - His inquiry was valid.

Top tier producers got there by putting in the work, just like everything else in life. And questions about whether you should use "snap" is not DAW specific, it really is a noob ass question. And no, his question is not valid when you can easily find the answer by clicking on "help" and and typing the question.

Top tier producers got there by putting in the work, just like everything else in life. And questions about whether you should use "snap" is not DAW specific, it really is a noob ass question. And no, his question is not valid when you can easily find the answer by clicking on "help" and and typing the question.

I can't help but to think that you're taking a lot of L's with this music shit.

In any case.. I'd LOVE to hear some of your work.. - I'm always looking to hire/collab with people.

Last edited:
All I'm asking to do is to find more information on presonus rather than the regular how to videos. I don't get what this top tier stuff has to do with anything.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Thanks you for this ... Ima check it out

All I'm asking to do is to find more information on presonus rather than the regular how to videos. I don't get what this top tier stuff has to do with anything.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Thanks you for this ... Ima check it out

I would suggest you fully understand what a DAW is.. then do a pro/con of each.. - Just because you have an AudioBox doesn't mean you have to use Studio One.

Try Ableton: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

Works just fine with the AudioBox.. & all other Audio Interfaces.

I know I had to wait for abelton to become compatible with windows 8. Now that it is I'm going to look into that asap.

Sampling is ridiculously easy in Studio One. There's too many ways to do it.

I used to like to transform my virtual instruments to audio quickly, chop it up, and load it in Impact and go to town. Now they've made it even easier in 2.5 where you can record any bus output in realtime... so, I like to bus a few tracks together, record that output to a new track, and then sample it and play around w/ the audio in that way.

It's one of the easiest DAWs i've used so that u can "sample yourself".

Same thing w/ other chops. S1 has a great time stretch. You can assign a tempo to a loop and if u change the DAW's tempo the loop will follow it if you want it to. real nice for stretching things to the beat (but u gotta know what the BPM is).

Sample One is a decent sampler. not amazing in my eyes... but it works well. I use Impact the most. Just chop up some clips and drag it to a pad... adjust any pitchs u want and bang em out. it's awesome lol

i'ma start making S1 tutorials in the very near future.. i'll be sure to post here when i get em going. it's gonna be advanced stuff... i'm tired of the slow "explain everything" tutorials. no.. ur gonna see me work in real time lol.

I know I had to wait for abelton to become compatible with windows 8. Now that it is I'm going to look into that asap.

I'm sure you're going to run across a few 'hiccups' regarding compatibility issues.. but if you're more familiar with Ableton Live rather than StudioOne.. I'd make do with Live for the time being.. - Nothing worse than trying to make a certain DAW's UI/Workflow work for your own needs/wants.. especially if you're going to revert back to Live anyhow.

I just read the posts about Layering and Snap.

Layering- Impact doesn't layer multiple drums simultaneously in the way that you're asking. I do believe however that it will "round robin" the samples, or you can layer based on velocity.. where you set what velocity you want a certain sample to play it. But I don't believe it will stack the sounds on top of each other for you. I don't think Impact was designed in that way. But then again... I don't use this feature much... I prefer to place individual samples on different pads. It's not like you get any real benefit by it being on one pad vs separate pads if you need them to trigger at the same time. IMO it's a better, easier, more understandable work flow to keep the samples on separate pads. Just my 2 cents.

If you needed to use a different sampler, you could always load FL studio up as a VST in S1... or, you can just find a free sampler VST that will allow you to stack.

Sample One does allow you to stack if I remember correctly. Much much better for stacking. Overall... i use SampleOne very very lightly... it doesn't seem to be feature packed... but it works for replaying samples quickly instead of copy/pasting the audio.

In regards to snap... you have to understand that FL Studio is geared towards sampling... so there's certain features on it that make it dumb easy to sample. Snap in most DAWS is much different than FL Studio's snap features (which i barely remember.. i haven't used it since FL Studio 4). If you're using snap in S1 (or most DAWs)... you're essentially setting your cursor to snap to the grid.. so if ou have 1/16th notes set on your quantize grid... the S1 cursor and any clip movements you make are gonna snap to the grid, to keep everything on time. If you take snap off... then it's gonna let you move things free-flow down to the millesecond.. depending how far u zoom in.

FL has buttons that will automatically stretch a sample to fit a loop, if i remember. that's very useful for sampling. S1 has options to time stretch but moreso in a free flowing manner. For example... you can just press Alt + [click on end of sample] and drag that sample to stretch it. very very very nice feature.

Hope this helps.

that's what im looking for now. any tutorials for sampling in presonus studio done in real time when someone is actually making a beat. I can find those for ableton. I cant find those for presonus tho. most of the tutorials I found on presonus have been on composition beats where it seems pretty easy to go into presonus grab a sound and record yourself. I have made beats in presonus but I didn't feel like they were good enough. I feel like there's some techniques, steps, and simple tips that I may be missing. i look forqard to your video posting to see what it is I can learn

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

well i work with an axiom 49 and ableton came with it. so i would like to work with ableton live because then i can use the play stop record loop buttons. i can do more with my keyboard in ableton then i can in presonus studio.

Sample One does allow you to stack if I remember correctly. Much much better for stacking. Overall... i use SampleOne very very lightly... it doesn't seem to be feature packed... but it works for replaying samples quickly instead of copy/pasting the audio.

For example... if I just recorded a verse and need to repeat what my artist is saying... I usually just chop the audio, drag it to sampleone, and play the voice back w/ some midi notes. Just feels quicker to me than cutting/pasting audio clips. I can always transform it to audio later.

ill try that time stretching trick .... what i was doing with layering was grouping 2 different impacts together so then i could play both pads at the same time yet effect the samples differently ... but in fl studio it was just an easier workflow because they were layered together and easier to toggle the volume as well as panning making it easier to create a unique drum sound with just the samples that you loaded on to the pads.

that's what im looking for now. any tutorials for sampling in presonus studio done in real time when someone is actually making a beat. I can find those for ableton. I cant find those for presonus tho. most of the tutorials I found on presonus have been on composition beats where it seems pretty easy to go into presonus grab a sound and record yourself. I have made beats in presonus but I didn't feel like they were good enough. I feel like there's some techniques, steps, and simple tips that I may be missing. i look forqard to your video posting to see what it is I can learn

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

well i work with an axiom 49 and ableton came with it. so i would like to work with ableton live because then i can use the play stop record loop buttons. i can do more with my keyboard in ableton then i can in presonus studio.

Yes.... to be honest, I feel S1 is the best DAW out... but Ableton seems to fit your workflow a little bit better. You may also want to look into Bitwig Studio in the future, which is supposed to be a supercharged Ableton... if it's ever released a LOT of people will be on it.

S1 does currently lack in controller support... b/c they implemented midi differently, so certain functions just don't work as easily because the keyboard designers did not take S1 into consideration when making their software and boards. They are working on improving their Mackie protocol in a update in the near future (said to be before version 3), but... we'll see.

If you're a sample heavy person... look at ableton. you can always rewire it into S1 if u need to. S1 is moreso a direct competitor to Cubase, Pro Tools, and Logic. All of those DAWs are very different from Ableton and FL Studio in terms of workflow.

Ableton vs. Studio One isn't really a good comparison. They moreso complement each other than they do compete with each other... just because of workflow. S1's workflow is meant to be much quicker than Cubase... that was their original marketing scheme. And they accomplished that well lol. I'm used to the traditional linear DAW approach, but if ur more of a non-linear kinda guy.. go with Ableton definitely. There's a lot of S1 users trying to get Presonus to include some non-linear stuff into the DAW as a feature request, but we'll have to wait n see if they implement something like that.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

ill try that time stretching trick .... what i was doing with layering was grouping 2 different impacts together so then i could play both pads at the same time yet effect the samples differently ... but in fl studio it was just an easier workflow because they were layered together and easier to toggle the volume as well as panning making it easier to create a unique drum sound with just the samples that you loaded on to the pads.

yeah... two totally different workflows. S1 is more a traditional DAW with a cleaner GUI, smoother audio playback engine (not smoother sound... i mean smoother performance when adding/deleting instruments & effects), and improved overall workflow (less time to do simple stuff). Not really a competitor to FL Studio or Ableton, the same way Cubase isn't really to be compared to FL Studio or Ableton.

Non-linear DAWs usually have the additional features to make sampling easier from what i've seen. Linear DAWs are usually more geared towards multi-track recording and composition. That's not to say you can't do certain things in one that you can in the other (again.. in S1... you'd have to use SampleOne to layer)... but... it's a workflow difference. In the end.. you can achieve the exact same results in any DAW... but the difference is how you go from Point A to Point B.

yea that is quicker. i actually don't copy and paste the audio clips ... i chop my samples and try to play them out instead of placing it, that overrides the snap feature within your sequence. But if i have snap on and i want to duplicate the pattern it actually makes your pattern snap to the next bar instead of continuously adding on to the end of each pattern which then makes the pattern off beat. in fruity loops if you got the beat count right the loop would fit right into the pattern and then you could duplicate as you please.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

i feel you ... what should i look at to do rewiring with ableton and presonus studio? youtube im guessin?

Back