Noob Redrum question to those who use Reason

JWB20

When constructing drum patterns do you use the sequencer or do them yourself with the midi keyboard?

I've been toying with Reason on and off for the past two years and certain things have overwhelmed the hell out of me. The patterns ideas I audition on the keyboard - I can never get them to flow the same way on the actual sequencer! It's aggravating lol. Is this something i'll just need to work on in time?

When constructing drum patterns do you use the sequencer or do them yourself with the midi keyboard?

I've been toying with Reason on and off for the past two years and certain things have overwhelmed the hell out of me. The patterns ideas I audition on the keyboard - I can never get them to flow the same way on the actual sequencer! It's aggravating lol. Is this something i'll just need to work on in time?

So three questions asked

Q1: use the sequencer?

Sometimes this is a better solution

Q2: use a midi keyboard?

Again as needed.

Q3: will I get better with practice?

Everything gets better with practice, but without motivation to practice nothing gets better.

However, an unasked question is about using the ReDrum in-built pattern sequencer, (unless that is what you meant in Q1).

Using the pattern sequencer will remove a lot of uncertainty. You just need to learn how to use it to effectively get your grooves. I.E. using the shuffle can be a start towards creating a groove; using triplet 8ths or triplet 16ths can be a start towards creating a groove; using the ReGroove mixer is a great way to create your groove. In each case you need to Read-The-Freaking-Manual (RTFM) to better understand what you can do in ReDrum......

I am reallll funny about using pre-built anything.. unless it is a sample. I make all mine with my keyboard.. easier for me and sounds 100percent better in my opinion.

Back