"Name Your DAW 2013"

Multiple selection encouraged! DAWs are listed in alpabetical order.

• Ardour (Open Source)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Digital Performer (MOTU)

• energyXT (XT Software)

• Fairlight (Fairlight)

• Kristal (KristalLabs)

• LMMS (Open Source)

• Macaw (Open Source)

• Metro (Sagan)

• Mixbus (Harrison)

• MuLab (MuTools)

• MultitrackStudio (Bremmers Audio Design)

• n-Track (n-Track Software)

• Ohm Studio (Ohm Force)

• Orion Studio (Synapse Audio)

• Podium (Zynewave)

• Pyramix (Merging Technologies)

• Rosegarden (Open Source)

• SADiE (Prism Media Products)

• SawStudio (RML Labs)

• Sequel (Steinberg)

• Sequoia (MAGIX)

• Soundscape (SSL)

• Tracktion (Mackie/Tracktion Software Corp.)

• Usine (Sensomusic)

• V-Producer (Roland)

• Z-Maestro (Z-Systems)

• Total voters
Pro Tools. Still learning it but learning more everyday and its such a deep, amazingly thought out and put together piece of software. It's roughly a billion lines of code I heard, not sure how that compares to other DAWS though. Its crazy the little tweaks and edits you can do that you never even would have thought of, and I've barely touched on it yet. First one I ever used was FL, I hate Reason haha. No Ableton on the list? Interested in Logic but I got sucked into Pro Tools and now I don't see any reason to go anywhere else, just use rewire and you have the best of everything IMO. I imagine Logic is more user friendly, but thats not how you should define a DAW. Don't judge it based on how easy it is to use, thats all early stage stuff you can get through regardless. Once you get to where you need to be tech-wise with the DAW its not gonna matter how hard it was to get there. Its only gonna matter what you can do with it. Thats why I hate when people say FL is the best DAW because it sold the most the last few years in a row. It sold the most because its easy to use for beginners and there have been A LOT of beginners (including me) surfacing in the last few years who are looking for an easy DAW to use. Im not saying FL isn't a full daw, because it is. Just saying that if people are going to keep saying its 'the best daw out there' I want to hear some real reasons, not sales and how user friendly it is. Respectfully, haha. Not trying to start a DAW fight(although I'm sure this thread already is, haven't even read any comments yet) they always go in the same direction. Ive never ONCE seen someone give in and be like "oh ya actually your daw IS better" haha. I actually was just going to type the first sentence, then i just kept typing.

Last edited:
Pro Tools. Still learning it but learning more everyday and its such a deep, amazingly thought out and put together piece of software. It's roughly a billion lines of code I heard, not sure how that compares to other DAWS though. Its crazy the little tweaks and edits you can do that you never even would have thought of, and I've barely touched on it yet. First one I ever used was FL, I hate Reason haha. No Ableton on the list? Interested in Logic but I got sucked into Pro Tools and now I don't see any reason to go anywhere else, just use rewire and you have the best of everything IMO. I imagine Logic is more user friendly, but thats not how you should define a DAW. Don't judge it based on how easy it is to use, thats all early stage stuff you can get through regardless. Once you get to where you need to be tech-wise with the DAW its not gonna matter how hard it was to get there. Its only gonna matter what you can do with it. Thats why I hate when people say FL is the best DAW because it sold the most the last few years in a row. It sold the most because its easy to use for beginners and there have been A LOT of beginners (including me) surfacing in the last few years who are looking for an easy DAW to use. Im not saying FL isn't a full daw, because it is. Just saying that if people are going to keep saying its 'the best daw out there' I want to hear some real reasons, not sales and how user friendly it is. Respectfully, haha. Not trying to start a DAW fight(although I'm sure this thread already is, haven't even read any comments yet) they always go in the same direction. Ive never ONCE seen someone give in and be like "oh ya actually your daw IS better" haha. I actually was just going to type the first sentence, then i just kept typing.

The thread isn't meant to find out which DAW is the best, it's meant to find out which is the most popular.

Ableton isn't a DAW ;)
Live is, though, and it's on the list.

The thread isn't meant to find out which DAW is the best, it's meant to find out which is the most popular.

Ableton isn't a DAW ;)
Live is, though, and it's on the list.
Lives what I meant obviously, just didnt see it on there must have missed it

Lives what I meant obviously, just didnt see it on there must have missed it

It has the third-highest number of votes right now, how can you miss that? :rolleyes: Lol.

The top 5 spots on these boards (by popularity) right now are:
#1: FL Studio (41.40%)
#2: Reason (19.11%)
#3: Live (16.56%)
#4: Cubase (11.46%)
#5: REAPER/Logic/Studio One (Three-Way Tie, 10.83% each)

As I would expect for a site geared for hip-hop beatmakers, the top three spots (FL Studio, Reason, Live) are DAWs which are focused more on in-the-box workflow, creativity, and improvisation.
The final two spots (Cubase, REAPER, Logic, Studio One) of the top five cover some of the more popular "traditional" linear DAWs whose workflow is structured more around editing recorded material.
Surprisingly, Pro Tools was just barely edged out of the top five at this point.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
It has the third-highest number of votes right now, how can you miss that? :rolleyes: Lol.

because I didnt pay much attention to the votes strictly because of which one is in first place. It means nothing, like i explained above haha. I just scrolled down looking for ableton. My vote still would have been pro tools regardless. These votes hold no merit in actual comparisons haha.

Last edited:
Back