How do I make that warm ambient pad/synth sound!?

waterword

creator // beatmaker
I'm looking for the best soft synth to capture a warm ambient sound//dreamy rainy day kinda mood.
I'm mostly looking to use pads and keys - my problem with soft synths up to now has been an unrealistic and flat sound that doesn't capture the mood I want. I have the NI set (FM8/Massive/Absynth) as well as the Tone 2 Gladiator soft synths but I can't seem to ever find that sound I want. Also, if anyone has tips for more realistic composition using these or other soft synths I'd really appreciate it.
Some producers come to mind that really accomplish this, or at least have a sound that gives me those vibes I'm looking for, regardless of what tech they use [links included] - sloslylove [ 1 ] and obviously Noah "40" Shebib [ 1 , 2 ]
I've been looking for this sound for a while, so I'd be ecstatic if anyone could help me.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, the actual pads sound really simple in all of the examples. Not much movement or crazy modulations, just some basic waveforms heavily lowpassed. But they're pretty much all drenched in a reverb that probably makes up at least 50% of what makes them sound so nice.

I don't know what you mean by "warm" pad sound. But you could always just EQ or add a harmonic exciter to a pad that you already have or layer the synth pad with something else to spice things up

"Warm" is really subjective when it comes to sound design.

The u-He Diva and the u-He ACE are really nice soft synths that has nice and "warm" sound. Try them out!
Also techniques like Majestic Mastermind suggested should work well for most synths.

If you want a "rainy day kinda mood" pad, why don't you layer a lush pad, with lots of reverb with some live recordings from a rainy day? you know, water drops, wind, thunder? I've done this on a chillstep song I was working, and the results were pretty good, IMO.

You NEED to buy sylenth1 if your looking for moving and captivating pad sounds. The detuning is unbelievable in the synth and creates very dreamy saw wave pads. If you just take 4 saw waves with 8 voices and detune them to your liking and play around with the cutoff and volume envelopes, you should find the sound your looking for.

Hope this helps!

Back