The GREATE DAW debate. Ableton Live vs FL Studio vs Cubase 5

LOL this is a pointless debate. It's like the great endless debate of analog VS digital.

Every DAW 'basically' have the same similar functions 'most' of them do exactly the same thing but through a different process. It is a matter producer/artist preference.

It ain't a debate. It's what one prefers.

Just hoping its not too late (and for anyone who'd like some future reference). I've tried FL Studio, Cubase (both SX3 and currently 5), and Abelton Live8. I played around with Cubase SX3 years ago when I didn't even know how a studio works, yet it felt pretty intuitive from the start.

IMHO, FL works great, when i started recording my band, it really worked wonders, but eventually I felt limited by the audio editing tools, and I always had to find workarounds to be able to edit audio on the fly.

As far as Abelton is concerned, it is one powerful mofo, it can do tons of things unimaginable. But I hated the workflow of it all, just too many panels and windows for someone who just wants to see a everything organised right in front of him. When I finally did move onto Cubase 5, it was what I really needed. The layout and the workflow and the UI of it all is so intuitive and just gets the right job done the way you want it. And this is something that even Pro Tools has in common, they both have a very similar workflow (with PT of course having a few advantages).

That said, honestly, choose what you'd want your DAW to do. From what I've seen and experienced, FL is good for beginners and people looking to lay down a beat, like Electronic music and that kind of stuff. Abelton for me is great for live integration, for composing with virtual instruments on the fly (I have a good friend who produces EDM who swears by it). Cubase on the other hand lends itself more to songs that need to be tracked live, in the sense recorded, such as guitars, bass and other instruments, that is real instruments. Choose what you wish to achieve with your DAW. Good Luck

This thread is pointless since there is no right or wrong answer.

A talented producer can make a hit song with the cheap $99 intro version of whichever DAW is sitting right in front of him/her. As long as it has 40+ audio and midi tracks, vst support, reverb, delay, eq, distortion, and a large sample library you can accomplish the same thing no matter what you have.

Last edited:
It Depends

Hope this reply isnt coming super late. Just came across this thread and thought Id share. AND I hope I dont bore you with this..... :bigeyes:

I've been using FL Studio for the past 10 years (since version 2.7 - currently on 10) and inspite of being swayed a zillion times I keep coming back to it. I own ProTools8 and Cubase5 as well and tried using Reason3 ( now I just rewire). I tried a hand at Live 8 but just couldnt work my way around so got fed up and gave up on the trial version itself.

:hmmm:

To be very honest, FL 10 is GREAT for any kind of music if you are using a lot of VSTi plugins, loops, and the audio recording is relatively less (I only do vocals.....lots of harmony multitracks though). FL's workflow is made in such a way that its great for production. It can do simple stuff and it can also do some complex stuff which most other DAW's cant. I love the internal controllers which can be used to automate anything internally. I use the midi chop, arpeggio and quantize functions ALL THE TIME.

Now the downside - My experience has been that the FL mix buss is somehow different than say PT or Cubase. Although I end up using it for smaller projects (like ad jingles which have a short turnaround time), but for serious stuff which is quality centric (like albums, background scores etc) I finish the writing/arranging/programming in FL and then use the 'Split Mixer Channel' feature to get high quality WAV files of my tracks and then MIX them in Pro Tools.

Also, like someone else in the thread pointed out, as an audio recording DAW its not great because the workflow is not designed that way. When I have to record a live band or work with mostly live audio I find Pro Tools or Cubase MUCH easier to use.

So now after all this....to answer your question, I'd say if you are going to be working more with Live audio recording, then surely Cubase

if the aim is to produce lots of EDM, hip hop, dubstep, DnB, Rnb, Pop, then FL is my pick.....I haven't really used Ableton Live, but I doubt it can hold up against FL. Most of image line synths are kick ass...plus I use my Native Instruments Komplete a lot. Kontakt is my favourite for Acoustic type sounds. This increases my sound canvas and affects my production quality.

DAW determines my workflow and helps me to get whats in my head out to my speakers in the quickest possible manner. My DAW allows me to experiment with sound and come up with something fresh (sometimes something boring but different). My music is me. My sound is what I want it to be. People made the best music on a four-track tape recorder.

Depends on your workflow and the music you make. I still use magix studio 2004 when i make beats with samples. You just drag in an audio file, chop it up and mess around with the samples. I paid 10 euros for it.. it was a good deal hehe

Back