Is this a good setup for a beginner?

)Lyncaster(

Hello, I am a 14 year old aspiring music producer/artist.
I mainly make Ambient Dubstep, but can produce any genre given the time.
Anyway, all I used to have is a Kaossilator Pro and an IPhone with BeatMaker 2 on it. Well I have recently acquired a Acer Apsire One netbook (the latest model), and I am getting:

FL Studio (Fruity Edition)
Akai Pro MPK mini
FL Studio Mobile on my iPhone for when an idea strikes.

I already have the demo of FL 10 and I'm learning the ropes.
Is this a good set up for a beginner?

That should be plenty good to get you started. Learn your way around that setup and you'll be good to go.

When you can you want the following if you stick with it and get to intermediate/advancing beginner stages. Grab a midi keyboard! They are so helpful! Get some decent headphones or monitors to help you mix and master. Grab some soft synths and plug-ins. Remember that whilst FL studio can be very powerful it does have some limitations in comparison with other DAWS such as logic pro or cubase so be mindful that in a year or two you may want to upgrade. FL lasted me about a year and a half before I out grew it.

FLStudio 10 is great for a beginner. No doubt about it. It may be the best DAW to become familiar with, in fact - especially considering its user-friendly interface.

That is a great set up and I would stick with just that, I like to use the word K.I.S.S (Keep It Stupidly Simple) you can't loose.

your setup is perfectly fine.. when I started making beats, I started out with a psOne with mtv music generator to make my beats

I honestly don't think you can ever go wrong with fruity loops. Its pretty simple as far as the layout and easy to understand. If you feel you need more help getting started you should check out the DUBturbo beat making program. With that, Its very simple, yet quality and you get tutorial videos to help you out along the way.

Refer to my signature to read more about DUBturbo.

That is a fine setup for when you are starting out, there is a lot to learn before you want to spend huge chunks on other gear, have a look on my blog new to music production page for some other gear you could look at when you start to get more comfortable and want to get more into audio engineering!

Your setup sounds good for starting out. The nice thing about home studios is you can add/upgrade as you go. There is no need to have the "best" of everything when you are just learning the ropes.

I would say yeah, but I think there are more user friendly software then FL. Ableton is very user friendly, but also does have loads and loads of features

Back