Fl Studio only using 520mb of 16gb ram

cherrycreamcoke

So I bought a new Dell all-in-one computer with 16gb of ram.
Got a focusrite Forte.

And from seemingly the simplest track lay downs I would get cpu spikes and underruns that my previous 4 year old laptop wouldn't even get.

I have messed with the audio settings and tried different audiocard sources, but nothing seemed to do the trick.

I recently noticed that flstudio only uses 520mb ram in the ram meter... when I have 16gb.

I am on a 64-bit system if that has to do with anything.

This is driving me absolutely nuts now and any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

If you've already done this, sorry, but go under your audio settings and play with the CPU settings and Latency. Usually will fix it. Oh, make sure your running ASIO correctly with your Interface.

What deranged said, also there is a FL Studio 64-bit exe that you can use to take advantage of up to 4gb of ram. In FL, where it shows your ram, right click it and click on "show available". How much do you see there?

Make sure that in your power options, your power mode is set to "always on" or "performance" (as opposed to "balanced" or "battery saver"). The other two options dynamically disable and enable your processor cores based on varying workload, but this doesn't work in a DAW. They just don't wake up and quickly enough to deal with the low-latency demands of audio work.

Without giving us more information, your problem could be one of a ton of different things, but this is one that does make a huge difference if set improperly. A quad core computer running in a power saving mode might be using only 25% of its capacity most of the time.

I doubt FL by itself - without any plugins loaded - should be taking any more than what you're seeing. And of course, RAM doesn't magically make your processor run faster.

If after all that u still have issues try to raise the amount of virtual memory you use usualy windows sets it automatically but this is very anoying, you can set up tp 16 tb max best, i recommend at least 10gb then all your software would thank you if it could, it maximizes the performance in such a way that you wont recognise your pc, go to my computer look for system propreties, visual effects, advanced, then set the minimum value the same as the maximum with manual setting, it will ask you to restart you're done it will reboot a lot faster everything wiil be done faster even opening your web browser or a folder, this has only advantages you can look out for videos showing how todo this on youtube on how to improve virtual memory on a pc,

If after all that u still have issues try to raise the amount of virtual memory you use usualy windows sets it automatically but this is very anoying, you can set up tp 16 tb max best, i recommend at least 10gb then all your software would thank you if it could, it maximizes the performance in such a way that you wont recognise your pc, go to my computer look for system propreties, visual effects, advanced, then set the minimum value the same as the maximum with manual setting, it will ask you to restart you're done it will reboot a lot faster everything wiil be done faster even opening your web browser or a folder, this has only advantages you can look out for videos showing how todo this on youtube on how to improve virtual memory on a pc,

Don't bother doing this. This might help only if you have a ridiculously small amount of RAM and are therefore constantly treating your hard drives as virtual RAM. The reason that it would help in this corner-case is that it would save Windows from needing to dynamically grow the pagefile.

OP: Your problem is likely caused by "DPC Spikes", which occur when Windows suspends all activity for a moment while Windows waits for a driver to finish a task.
These cause pops and clicks in audio, and stutters in games and video.

Here's a checklist I've developed of things to go over in order to solve your issue:

HARDWARE OPTIMIZATION
- Is your Power profile set to "Always On"?
- Is your network card disabled, or does it at least have "turn off this device to save power" unchecked in Device Manager?
- Do your USB hubs have "turn off this device to save power" unchecked?
- Does your video card have power-saving settings? If so, have you turned them off?
- In your computer's BIOS, can you see any options for C1E (AKA "Enhanced Halt" or something like that), C6, etc.? These are power-saving states that your computer needs to wake from. Disable them.
- In the same BIOS screen, do you have Turbo Mode enabled? Oftentimes, Turbo Mode overclocks one or two cores by disabling the others, giving the system more thermal headroom to work with. The enabling and disabling of cores can take a good amount of time and cause DPC spikes, which will lead to pops and glitches. It might help to turn this off.
- Finally, in the same BIOS screen, do you have Hyperthreading enabled? Hyperthreading causes the operating system to see each core as two half-speed cores. Hence, a 3.2GHz core will be seen as two 1.6GHz cores. This can improve performance for software which has been written to take advantage of several cores, but can hurt performance in software which only uses one or two (i.e., Maschine, amongst others). Turning Hyperthreading off may help. I'm not really sure how well FL Studio scales using 8+ "virtual" cores.
- Have you tried removing the battery or disabling "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Battery" in the Device Manager? Every 15 seconds or so, Windows asks the battery how much juice it has left, and suspends all activity while it waits for the battery to figure out and respond. The battery isn't very quick at doing this, and causes a DPC spike.

OTHER
- Have you checked your computer for viruses? Viruses will cause your computer to grind to a halt.
- Are you running several pieces of software in the background (antivirus, special software which came with your computer, etc.)?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Nevermind Salem just try it it does you no wrong and it improves performance even if you're using 16gb ram, it has nothing to do with ram try it it'll boost the whole system, and FYI Salem , Random access memory is shared with the virtual memory it does not stay long in RAm.

apparently in FL Studio 11 the extended memory version is now called just 'FL Studio' and the other compatable memory is for older computers with less ram? i may be wrong but that's how i currently understand it

Back