FL Studio 10 very slow with crackling

devTr4P

Hello, I use FL Studio 10 on an iMac using Bootcamp, I also use it on a MacBook Air.

My problem is that it goes very slow, there are pops and crackling noises when I play my tracks.

On my MacBook Air, FL is basically "unusable" because the problem is so big, but on my iMac, it's quite better.
I have ASIO4ALL driver installed.

--------------
iMac specs:
--------------
- 17 inch, Late 2006 CD, MA710LL/A model
- 1GB RAM
- Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.83 GHz

-----------------------
MacBook Air specs:
-----------------------
- 13 inch, 2008 version, A1237 model
- 2GB RAM
- Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.6 GHz
-----------------------

Another thing I don't understand is that my MacBook Air has more RAM than my iMac, but FL runs better on my iMac.

The processor is the same, but the MacBook Air has 0.23 GHz less than the iMac, I don't think that's a lot, but I may be wrong.

Somebody please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
a gigahertz is 1-000-000-000 cycles per second so that 0.23 GHz is actually 230-000-000 cycles which is, frankly, quite a lot

now to your main problem - neither machine has enough ram to run the os and fl without glitching. The pops and crackles are audio buffer over-runs - the buffer size is not large enough to get tee audio out in an orderly fashion and so there is guesswork going on to generate the audio stream, mostly in the form of those pops and crackles. You might be able to offset this a little with maximum buffer sizes.

get a better spec'd machine or a machine that will actually handle fl in it's current stable, non-beta format i.e. win based

Is it 64 bit?
Use FL 64 bit if on a 64 bit machine.

you have a dual core, quad core or go home.

i don't have an answer but is the laptop plugged in? if not plug it in.

Yeah I always have it plugged in.

What I still don't get is that my MacBook Air has similar specs to my iMac, but it runs faster on my iMac.

I also have a Toshiba Tecra M5 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM) with the same processor and same RAM as my MacBook Air, but FL runs very well on it (it might lag a bit but it's much better).

you have to remember that you are running the software via an interpretor/convertor when you are on the mac - bootcamp is an extra layer of kludge to make your win apps run on the mac infrastructure

Is it 64 bit?
Use FL 64 bit if on a 64 bit machine.

you have a dual core, quad core or go home.

The processor on my MacBook Air is 64-bit, dual core.
The iMac is also 64-bit, but I'm not sure if it's dual core because I'm not at home.

I will try to run FL on 64-bit.

I thought Bootcamp on Mac is just like running a native installation of Windows.

BTW: I got Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit.

It's not the same. On pc there is windows in Ram memory, and in your Mac in Ram memory there is: Mac OSX, Bootcamp and windows. As you see it spend much more Ram than windows itself and because of that everything is slower.

It's not the same. On pc there is windows in Ram memory, and in your Mac in Ram memory there is: Mac OSX, Bootcamp and windows. As you see it spend much more Ram than windows itself and because of that everything is slower.

Oh ok, so should I try to install Windows 7 64-bit, and run FL on 64-bit?

I think I'll install it on my MacBook Air first, because the problem is mainly on it, more than on the iMac.

Thanks.

Not true. The two OS's aren't running at the same time when using Bootcamp.

I don't know will windows work on mac as on pc, try google that or ask someone who has a mac.

But isn't better for you to run FL Studio on toshiba because you say that FL works well there?

The problem is that the toshiba is not mine, I use it sometimes but it's not mine.

What would happen if I install Windows 7 only, without OS X?

nope - it means that bootcamp is acting as translator between the win os and the mac hardware instruction sets, which can lead to lag/processing time issues

Last edited:
nope - it means that bootcamp is acting as translator between the win os and the mac hardware instruction sets, which can lead to lag/processing time issues

But I don't get it, because I installed windows 7 without bootcamp (creating a partition on disk utility and booting the dvd manually).
So bootcamp didn't translate anything on my machine, right?

true enough and after a little research it would seem that bootcamp is not what it has been represented as being to me in the past
- so no problem there, ti should just run fine

- I would still think that the issues are the way in which the os interacts with the hardware, with some aspects still requiring kludge code to translate from one to the other
- I do recall there being issues with how data was represented between the two with one os being big-endian and the other being little-endian - essentially whether the large portion of the byte code is first or last (think numbers we represent everything with the small data on the right and the large data on the left i.e.10 is bigger than 1) I don't recall whether this issue was resolved one way or the other when they moved to having intel processors

anyway i digress - not entirely certain if the issue is that you are trying to run a 32 bit os on a 64 bit platform or what......

true enough and after a little research it would seem that bootcamp is not what it has been represented as being to me in the past
- so no problem there, ti should just run fine

- I would still think that the issues are the way in which the os interacts with the hardware, with some aspects still requiring kludge code to translate from one to the other
- I do recall there being issues with how data was represented between the two with one os being big-endian and the other being little-endian - essentially whether the large portion of the byte code is first or last (think numbers we represent everything with the small data on the right and the large data on the left i.e.10 is bigger than 1) I don't recall whether this issue was resolved one way or the other when they moved to having intel processors

anyway i digress - not entirely certain if the issue is that you are trying to run a 32 bit os on a 64 bit platform or what......

I'm running windows 7 32-bit on a 64-bit compatible processor.

So would FL run better on windows 7 64-bit? I can install it because the cpu is 64-bit compatible, right?

Or would I have to get a PC?

Back