Does it really matter what DAW you use?

I like to combine and rewire multiple DAWs. As long as your mixdown and filters are correct, and you get your stuff professionally mastered, you could be tapping on a desk, and grunting, and no matter what DAW you edit it in, it will sound great.

For some odd reason DAWs go in-and-out of fashion... one year DAW A is the best then a few years later DAW B is seen as the best... but what I can say is the DAW that best compliments your personal workflow is what you should go with.

If you're unsure, try going to your local Guitar Center and trying a few out. See how long it takes for you to put together a track that sounds good to your ears and helps you capture the sound you're looking for. Alternately, try downloading & demoing LE or lite versions from developers' websites. Best of luck!

Last edited:
that dont matter at all. i started out in FL about 8 years ago and only made about 7 beats in it before a friend of mine introduced me to reason. ive been using reason ever since. i dont care if you have an mpc or an asr, or a room full of pianos and gear. ofcourse if you have access to higher end equipment and know what you are doing than you can get a better quality than someone who cant afford all that gear, but what you will not have is a leg up on me MUSIC wise because you have all that. its 100 percent about what makes you comfortable and efficient. i chop samples in audition, mix in pro tools, but compose my entire track in reason. shit, reason 6.5 is out and im still on reason 5, and dont really plan on making any changes for now. i can make absolutely ANY kind of music i want with what i have and i can do it well. someoone who knows what they are doin with a laptop and a midi key board, will always out shine someone with a $5,000 lab who doesnt know what he is doing.

Like I've said so many times, it's not the program, it's the person behind it... I mean, people use JUST hardware, people use just software, some people need a whole studio to feel right, some don't.. it's all about personal usage and how YOU feel on what you do.

Personally, I feel okay with just my laptop and my MPK mini & headphones. It does the job I want. If you feel good using a certain software and can do what you want on it, use it and do your thing!

you should use the daw you are most familiar with. there are great producers who produce on their favorite daw, as avicii does with fl studio or daniel kandi does with reason. or vengeance with cubase. or dieter bohlen with logic. so you cant say you get the best results with this special daw. take the one you feel most attracted to.

Just about how well you know your software and how you are able to use it to get your ideas coming out the speakers. Just pick a DAW and learn it inside and out.

It doesnt mater not one bit, THEY ALL DO EVERYTHING nowadays, it matters how much time you are willing to spend learning how to perfect your Production. The whole "Its the Builder not the tools" thing works here

I first learnt the basics of music making on Cubase VST 5. Really old bit of software. Then afterwards a spent a long time with Friutyloops/FL studio Up to about FL Studio 5 I think. The whole time I was going through the learning process all of the guys in the top record shops were like "you need to have logic", "All the signed producers have logic". I couldn't afford a mac at the time let alone get logic on top of that so I made what I had do.

I vowed to learn the ins and outs of FL studio to make music as close to what's commercially released as possible. Now for the genres I was making music in (grime, funky), I did pretty good and these same people couldn't really tell the difference. I put that down to the music in both genres being pretty simple and repetitive.

Anyways I went through a couple years where I didn't make any music. I got back into it last year. Got a new job and with my money I thought yea, I'm gonna treat myself to a mac and logic. So there I am making music on Logic thinking yea I'm doing great now.

Earlier this year I got invited to meet one of Drakes producers who was down in London for the week. So I'm there in the studio with him observing how he makes his music and guess what he uses............FL Studio.

When I asked him about it, he said he uses it because you can have loads of VST instruments loaded up. And thats pretty much it. He has a keyboardist as well to make those great melodies that stick in your head. But to sum it up he makes a few stems for the chorus, verses and bridge. They get bounced down and the stems are then built up and mixed on the studios software. In that building it was Pro Tools.

So it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you know how to use it.

I think as long as you know what you want from a DAW that will be enough to help you decide which one to go for.

Then you make that DAW your *****:cool:

Back