Does it really matter what DAW you use?

Use whatever makes u happy, what's fun and fast for you. Don't bother with what people recomend just try them all out if u can and go from their. If ur really happy with fl and its fun / dose whatever u want then stick with it

FL 10 is actually a very good piece of software at least for EDM... i would say cubase is a bit more stable if you are talking *big* projects but the majority of edm tracks arent *that* complicated... otherwise for live recording its still protools HD

IMO: Whatever best suits YOUR music. SO it has to be a personal choice and not a choice based on what everybody else thinks or uses..... I personally love Nuendo. i find its a great DAW for a final mix but also a terrific tool for beginning the whole creative or writing process.

man.. these kinda questions just get asked again and again and again on here. A quick search on the topic wouldn't hurt before posting!

You have to use protools! Its industry standard! (or so people think... They don't understand its only "industry standard" when you are running high end PCI cards and surfaces...) In all actuality its all what works best for you, I use FL and reason, and own ableton, cubase, and PT (they don't get much attention)!

I think it's all about what you're used to. If you spend enough time with any DAW you will create music. I use reason 6 and have never had any problem with limitations or sound quality. It's very easy to use and is a good starting point for anyone who wants to know how a real studio is wired and stacked.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters what DAW you use at all. I've been using logic for awhile, its alright, but I grew up on Pro Tools and love it, also love Cubase, but unfortunately I know logic better. So I use it. Learned Ableton a little bit, played around with FL Studios, but still use Logic, not because I like it, but because I know it. My point is it doesn't matter lol

Personally, I went from Ableton/FL studio to REAPER. The reason i made the move was mostly due to the recording abilities of reaper combined with its simplicity. I still use FL studio but as a SLAVE in reaper ( as in its wired through channels and the output of what i do in FL comes into reaper. I definitely recommend reaper and FL studio together as a powerful combination ( check out groove3 reaper tutorials online for help in reaper)

Good music is made on all DAW's, so i think its irrelevant what you use as long as you use it well. FL studio and Ableton are nice though.

Hello

I am currently in the process of trying new DAWs. I started about a year ago with Fl Studio and it was easy, but now i feel like moving to a new DAW.

Not sure if it completely matters what we use, but I do understand that each DAW can do something special.

I have narrowed it down to Ableton Live 8, Cubase, and Pro tools. I am leaning more towards ableton simply because, I'm looking to compose and heard that is what it's great for.

I was wondering what is your guys' personal favorites and why.

Thanks and Have a nice day

I can't stand Ableton. Part of it is probably because I've used Cubase from day one, but it just doesn't seem to offer as much. It seems built more for dj's than a dedicated recording sequencer, but maybe if I spent more time with it, I'd dig it.

I really don't have much experience with other recording sequencers. I use Cubase 5.5 and it works for me. It has a few really annoying bugs and designs that seem like bugs but are stupidly on purpose, but overall, it's pretty nice. I haven't really seen a reason to update it, yet, though. Can't really tell you why I like it as I don't really know what to compare it to other than Ableton.

I can't stand Ableton. Part of it is probably because I've used Cubase from day one, but it just doesn't seem to offer as much. It seems built more for dj's than a dedicated recording sequencer, but maybe if I spent more time with it, I'd dig it.

I really don't have much experience with other recording sequencers. I use Cubase 5.5 and it works for me. It has a few really annoying bugs and designs that seem like bugs but are stupidly on purpose, but overall, it's pretty nice. I haven't really seen a reason to update it, yet, though. Can't really tell you why I like it as I don't really know what to compare it to other than Ableton.

Live is a very different DAW than everything else especially your more traditional DAWs like Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Reaper and Sonar. Its a great compositional tool once you wrap your head around it. I used to use Cubase around 2004 I couldn't see myself going back to it. These days I use Sonar, Reason and Live in conjunction and I find myself opening Sonar less and less each day in favor of Live and doing a lot of sound sculpting especially with drums in Reason.

I think it's just best to master one and then enjoy all the music you make being about the MUSIC and not HOW do I do it in this foreign program :P Still struggling with that.. Thank god for the internet/this forum

Pick the one you feel suits you best and don't believe they sound different despite what some people say. For electronica etc I'd recommend Ableton, for more live sessions something like ProTools might be more your cup of tea.

Hello

I have narrowed it down to Ableton Live 8, Cubase, and Pro tools. I am leaning more towards ableton simply because, I'm looking to compose and heard that is what it's great for.

They all do the same exact thing except for maybe a thing or two that makes each product unique. You pick the one you're comfortable with and don't look back. Honestly, it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Back