DAWs with similar workflow to Reason (to rewire Reason)

tu~kindz'

This is probably wishful thinking, but I'm looking for a DAw to rewire Reason 5 to, so i can add VST plugins to my productions. The issue is that i've been using Reason for so long it's second nature to me and i'm hoping I can find a DAW that has a relatively similar workflow.

I'm hoping someone would know, but I'm looking for a DAW with
  • VST Support
  • Rewire Capabilities (as host. Reason will be slave)
  • Similar workflow to Reason
  • Vocal Recording & Sampling

I'm OK if I have to learn to use a whole new DAW system, but I hope I don't. Anyone know?

There is nothing out there like Reason in that respect at least that I have seen. Most are like Pro Tools/Cubase/Reaper style lay outs and then there are the ones like FL Studio/Live/Maschine that have other odd work flows but nothing really like Reason that I know of.

Nothing is like Reason man lol.

I agree that Studio One is a great option in this regard. I think it has one of the better ReWire implementations. You can essentially ReWire Reason, and pick Reason instruments from within S1's sequencer. You can sequence all of your Reason sounds just by having it open in the background. Kinda cool. I can't remember ReWire being that easy in Cubase... (it could have been... but i remember doing more work to get stereo inputs... I hardly ReWire much anymore though so don't mind me! I could be way off admittedly).

But workflow wise... S1 is very quick, and they are trending to have things implemented within S1 (like their Melodyne integration), so there will probably be more to come.

Orion's still around?? I have never heard anyone recommend it before, this is the first. :D

Nothing is like Reason man lol.

I agree that Studio One is a great option in this regard. I think it has one of the better ReWire implementations. You can essentially ReWire Reason, and pick Reason instruments from within S1's sequencer. You can sequence all of your Reason sounds just by having it open in the background. Kinda cool. I can't remember ReWire being that easy in Cubase... (it could have been... but i remember doing more work to get stereo inputs... I hardly ReWire much anymore though so don't mind me! I could be way off admittedly).

But workflow wise... S1 is very quick, and they are trending to have things implemented within S1 (like their Melodyne integration), so there will probably be more to come.

I've been reading a lot of buzz on here about S1, I might just go with it. What's the sampling function like, because apart from workflow, that's the main reason why I want t rewire. Compared to FL Studio or something.

You may want to consider ultimately ditching Reason altogether if your current plan is going the Rewire route. Once a few vst/AUs are added, Rewiring is going to become a hassle that many people don't feel is worth the trouble for the sounds once they've filled out other options.

Add Komplete 8 to a DAW of choice and I'd doubt you'd miss any sounds in Reason or even in it's 3rd party refill/rack extension creators to the point it's worth the routing and saving involved with Rewiring.

I'm pretty adept at reason, it'd be pretty frustrating switching to something new again, and I'm not really a sound junkie. It would be nice to have VST support, but for the most part I can get any sound I have in my heard out of Reason somehow.So the trade off between a fast, comfortable, dependable workflow and a brand new soundbanks doesn't bode too well for the soundbanks for me.
I'm not going to make better music because I have brand new sounds...know what I mean?

I'm mostly trying to escape Reason's limited sample support and maybe add some VSTs in the process.

I get what you're saying, I'm just going off my own experience when looking for the exact same. Having to rewire and route Reason into other Daws becomes more hassle than the payoff is worth after a while in my opinion from my experience.

You have to save a reason sng file as well as a data file from your Daw. you reopen the Daw and then reopen reason and reload the sng file from Reason. So much easier to just use Kontakt and reopen the DAW and everything be in tact already.

I'm not saying the sounds are "better", I'm saying they begin to serve as more of a convenience than doing all that loading and routing for reason.

All my opinions, may not bother you at all, just something to consider.

The perfect compliment to Reason 5 would be Ableton. It's fast, easy to learn, and handles audio regions like no ones business. You have all the beauty of Reason 5 with the orgasmic audio handling of Ableton Live.

You should check out Reason 6.5... you can sample, record vocals, has plugins (rack extensions), etc. its pretty much what you are looking for.

Oh, didn't realize he wasn't using Reason 6 or better. Yeah, you may find what you're looking for as far as sampling within 6 or better. Not sure if the upgrade is still whatever you choose to pay. I think that was just when it was coming out.

Oh, didn't realize he wasn't using Reason 6 or better. Yeah, you may find what you're looking for as far as sampling within 6 or better. Not sure if the upgrade is still whatever you choose to pay. I think that was just when it was coming out.
It was only for a month and people had to have both Reason and Record to get the deal. Reason users only still had to pay the $170 upgrade price

I've made the step from 5 to 6 this year. Before, I liked Reason, but a major disappointment was definitely the fact that I couldn't record in it. You had to have record than at that point and the idea of needing two programs to do what I want didn't appeal to me in any way. Than they launched Reason 6 and I started reading up on it , checking the Props site and youtubes and I was really appealed by it. I finally bought 6 this year and I'm really content with it.
Reason always gave me a feel of being a real musician instead of a computer engineer. Next to that, the creativeness and the sound design are something in Reason that I think isn't around in any other DAW.
If you're used to Reason and know a lot about it, I wouldn't make the switch to something else tbh. Stay with Reason, it has everything you need, if you have the know how that is. Musical theory and you need to know how to work Reason. Also, the guys at Propellerhead are so close to their clientele. Also, the tutorials they put online, the stuff they organize every year, etc. That's something on the side you get that's so valuable as well.
If you liked Reason 5 and you're not one of those Reason haters who's gonna ***** about vsts not being in it, not understanding it, not understanding how to work an SSL and proper sound engineering techniques and all of that, you definitely should get Reason 6.
With the rack extensions there, that probably means all of your favorite vsts are gonna be made for Reason. Although, the need fof vsts in Reason is debatable, but having more instruments and effects made by pros in the business doesn't hurt in any way.
With Reason 6 they combined Record and Reason into one which finally made it a full on DAW in my opinion.
I wouldn't doubt a second on what to get and the features you're looking for are well within Reason 6. No need to make a switch and all that Reason knowledge is gonna let you grow more instead of needing to learn another DAW. Other than that, Reason 6 is perfectly capable to be used on it's own without anything else. No need for vsts or other DAWs to rewire it with. Of course, you can always choose to do so, but to make quality music, you don't per se need to!

I've made the step from 5 to 6 this year. Before, I liked Reason, but a major disappointment was definitely the fact that I couldn't record in it. You had to have record than at that point and the idea of needing two programs to do what I want didn't appeal to me in any way. Than they launched Reason 6 and I started reading up on it , checking the Props site and youtubes and I was really appealed by it. I finally bought 6 this year and I'm really content with it.
Reason always gave me a feel of being a real musician instead of a computer engineer. Next to that, the creativeness and the sound design are something in Reason that I think isn't around in any other DAW.
If you're used to Reason and know a lot about it, I wouldn't make the switch to something else tbh. Stay with Reason, it has everything you need, if you have the know how that is. Musical theory and you need to know how to work Reason. Also, the guys at Propellerhead are so close to their clientele. Also, the tutorials they put online, the stuff they organize every year, etc. That's something on the side you get that's so valuable as well.
If you liked Reason 5 and you're not one of those Reason haters who's gonna ***** about vsts not being in it, not understanding it, not understanding how to work an SSL and proper sound engineering techniques and all of that, you definitely should get Reason 6.
With the rack extensions there, that probably means all of your favorite vsts are gonna be made for Reason. Although, the need fof vsts in Reason is debatable, but having more instruments and effects made by pros in the business doesn't hurt in any way.
With Reason 6 they combined Record and Reason into one which finally made it a full on DAW in my opinion.
I wouldn't doubt a second on what to get and the features you're looking for are well within Reason 6. No need to make a switch and all that Reason knowledge is gonna let you grow more instead of needing to learn another DAW. Other than that, Reason 6 is perfectly capable to be used on it's own without anything else. No need for vsts or other DAWs to rewire it with. Of course, you can always choose to do so, but to make quality music, you don't per se need to!
Wow, I'm sold! I had a nasty dream that I'd spend money on Reason 6 and not get the functionality I want. If it's worth it, I'll make the Reason 6 jump.

If reason steps up its sequencer and piano roll, then it would definitely be one of the top 3 daws for production purposes. Right now I think ableton for chopping and fl studio for midi sequencing, but reason can easily have both of these programs beat if they add some kind of warping module and a piano roll editor with a better workflow.

Its amusing how people keep nit picking minor features of software to justify purchasing it. With Rack Extensions... Reason 6.5 is well worth the money. TRUST ME. Eventually they will integrate sampling/chopping. Its a matter of time... the simplicity and power of the software is amazing! I dropped Pro Tools & all other DAW's and work exclusively in Reason unless I'm having my engineer mix something.

Reason already has sampling and chopping. What it doesn't have is time stretching that makes sense.

Record had time stretching in it as well if you wanted that option. People always say it was 2 programs but if you owned Record you never opened reason at all just Record and from there it was exactly like Reason 6 is now. I never got the 2 program argument beyond the fact that an extra piece of software that you never open is sitting somewhere on your hard drive.

Back