DAW's for Mixing.

KeyzOnTheBeat

Ok so I've been using Fl Studio for a little over ten years but I now want to expand my mixing abilities with a different daw. Fl can be used for mixing but not the way I want it to. Plus there's a lot of issues with rendering (has different outcomes than original project while in DAW) I really like Pro tools but it doesnt work too good with my laptop.. Is there any other daw that is like pro tools but with less demanding in cpu? Any and all information is accepted. Also, I know its not what you have its how you use it but I dont like FL mixing. Im more appealed to the pro tool style. Thanks

I love Cubase and I'm still on version 5. Cubase 7's mix window replicates what it would be like to mix on a real console.
http://www.steinberg.net/typo3temp/pics/f36142e305.png

Most of us can't afford large mixing consoles or have even the space for them, but ideally if you did, your interface's multitrack outputs to the line inputs of your console makes for the best mix experience. As well as digital DAW controller to move onscreen controls. SSL has just what you've dreamed the AWS 900.
Solid State Logic | Music

Pro Tools 11 claims "The New Standard for Audio Production" and has a new audio engine and consists of dynamic plugin processing so areas of low CPU usage no longer take as much power. The meters are now 30% larger and the channel faders as well.

If you're planning on taking your work into a studio more than likely they'll be using Pro Tools.

Last edited:
I use to only use Fl Studio for mixing but ever since I started using Pro Tools, my mixes sound 20x better than they would have on FL.. Pro Tools in my opinion is the best DAW to mix in but I think Logic would be the best substitute. You ever tried that out?

Last edited:
Ok so I've been using Fl Studio for a little over ten years but I now want to expand my mixing abilities with a different daw. Fl can be used for mixing but not the way I want it to. Plus there's a lot of issues with rendering (has different outcomes than original project while in DAW) I really like Pro tools but it doesnt work too good with my laptop.. Is there any other daw that is like pro tools but with less demanding in cpu? Any and all information is accepted. Also, I know its not what you have its how you use it but I dont like FL mixing. Im more appealed to the pro tool style. Thanks

I like using Reason for production and mixing for the moment. After while, I'll upgrade to the new Pro-Tools, just so I can be up to date. I'm also going to get the new Logic, as I hear it's good to produce sometimes with that. I never really hear about people using it for mixing, though. I think it would be good for me to be proficient enough in all of them.

Last edited:
To me I love Ableton Live. Its all Ive ever used, Ill admit it. Except for a small version of Sonys way back when.

Ableton is for the home bedroom producer but is no way inferior on a whole. It has great effects and they make more. It has a great vocoder on suite. Ableton Live can be found with several Audio Interfaces including M audio. Which I love. But the version it comes on is the one not good with a laptop. But the one good for a laptop comes with Pro Tools. M_Audio. I also love my senheiser HD 280 Pro and bx5a which the bx5a;s are M audio too.

I would highly recommend either asking God for advice or actually demoing them to see what you like.

Ableton is a do it yourselfer. While from what I hear everywhere is that Pro tools is for a studio environment with more people working on it and harder to you and much more timely with not as do it yourselfer techniques. harder to use with possibly near same or as good results as ableton Live.

Ableton is fun and easy to learn. It effects are great and transparent. And it is mostly just one one page not multiple. very clear to understand too from its visuals.

I use FL as a sequencer too. For mixing I use Pro Tools. It's a super powerful DAW for tracking and mixing. I definitely recommend it. It's expensive compared to some others though.

Other than panning, pitch stretching, and a few other things, every single DAW 'mixes' exactly the same.

The laws of physics don't change from software to software. Addition is addition. I suppose some float rounding errors come into play, but this will never be perceptible. Every single digital summing mixer works exactly the same and outputs the same product with greater than 99% accuracy (24 bit PCM).

The DAW doesn't matter.

Other than panning, pitch stretching, and a few other things, every single DAW 'mixes' exactly the same.

The laws of physics don't change from software to software. Addition is addition. I suppose some float rounding errors come into play, but this will never be perceptible. Every single digital summing mixer works exactly the same and outputs the same product with greater than 99% accuracy (24 bit PCM).

The DAW doesn't matter.

OH NO I beg to differ. Fl studio's quality when exporting your project in wav form with all plugins effects etc is HORRIBLE. I know that mixing is the same but quality is not. There are bugs. SO please don't.

The DAW doesn't matter.

If you read my post I already know that. But fl studio is limited and is very annoying and tideous.

OH NO I beg to differ. Fl studio's quality when exporting your project in wav form with all plugins effects etc is HORRIBLE. I know that mixing is the same but quality is not. There are bugs. SO please don't.

The DAW doesn't matter.

I disagree. The effects can sound different too. ALso some DAWs have different programming from one another, Different quality in different aspects from what I hear.

Also some DAWs don't perform well in all areas from what I hear and it makes sense because they have different programmers. SO yeh it does matter I believe. Talk to Chris Lord about it.

Pro Tools 11 claims "The New Standard for Audio Production" and has a new audio engine and consists of dynamic plugin processing so areas of low CPU usage no longer take as much power. The meters are now 30% larger and the channel faders as well.

There is no claim, Pro Tools IS the standard for the audio industry, has been for 20 years. As far as recording studios are concerned.

And for mixing, nothing beats pro tool. Pro tools is just no good for originally producing the song. But its great for mixing and mastering it, lots would say the best.

Lots of people start a production on ableton/reason or whatever then switch to pro tools for the mixing and mastering portions.

Back