Using MPC 2000XL to control Battery 3

Whiteboy954

I recently purchased battery 3 to manage my massive drum sample library, I'm having trouble getting the MPC midi control #'s to control the pads I want them to in Battery. Anyone know of an easy way to do a global edit on either machine to get them working together?

One more question, does anyone know what setting is used in battery that is the same as the "MONO" Overlap function on the MPC. I get the feeling this transition won't be too bad, I just need to figure out how to get the overlaps (Muting of other pads and such) to work. Other than that it looks like this could be a good way to get rid of all those damn zip disks.

Thanks everyone for your help.

An update: I figured out everything that I mentioned before.

I have one more question, does anyone know how to set the midi channel on each particular instance of battery so I can control multiple instances by changing the midi channel between 1 - 16?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
I've got the 1000; any advice on the process you went by to get the MPC talking to Battery?

Thanks, peace

Atlas

Adding on to this thread:

Does anyone know any tutorials around that go into using the MPC1000 [or any of its cousins] as MIDI controllers, recording data into computer sequencers while using VSTs and samples stored on the computer? This is driving me nuts. My background is all hardware and mostly straight audio, so MIDI is whooping my ass. :mad:

My setup is-

MPC1000
Korg Triton 76 key
IBM Thinkpad notebook

I'll be making the track on my PC then transfering it into my Yamaha AW16G digital recorder to add vocals.

Thanks-

ATLAS

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys quick walk into battery here foy you. In battery 3 you can see all the note numbers in each cell you either have to reassign the battery cells ( easier and you can save it in battery as example mpc setup ect ) or reassign the mpc note numbers and save them in the mpc example battery kit. ( Also there is the learn function where you can hit a cell then hit a pad to make it "learn" that midi note number )

Part 2 of your question mute groups. If you go into battery and go to the setup ( bottom next to cell ) area you will see voice group if you click on this it brings up a drop down menu you have to select all the cells you want to be in that voice group here. You can simply assaign all cells by ctrl clicking them or clicking all the banks ( a,b,c,d,e,f, ect ) so as all the rows and coloums are lit. Make sure that all the voices you want cut are in the same voice group. Turn the max voices down to 1 and the voice overlap down to 0. Kill mode set to any. You should have a nice choke/mute groupe here now. In this section there are so many possible ways to set the diffrent ways to mute groups as well such as on release of a pad instead of open or on release it triggers the next pad. Read your manual and watch the videos this program has unlimited possibilities.

also heres a good video by a older forum member he breaks down how to use the mpc with midi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhuM7gS1fEo

Last edited by a moderator:
no doubt if you need futher info on battery get at me on pm i have been a user since version 1.

Well, this is a more general question, but if you have any insights, much appreciated. So I finally figured out how to trigger my VST drum kits from within the host I am using as a sequencer on my PC [Acid pro 6]. So now I can hear my drums, excellent. But I'd like to somehow record the different voices I am using simultaneously [i.e. playing kick, snare, hat patterns at the same time using different pads on the MPC] to different tracks, so that I can quantize and otherwise tweak them separately, more easily. There has to be a way to send either each voice to its own track, or at least groups of voices that I tie together, all to different tracks in my sequencer for processing, right?

Good looking out

battery has the option to send outputs to 1 to 16 chan's you just have to select the outputs on battery and select the inputs in your host ( acid ) i never use acid so im not sure how it works in there but in magix and cubase you just select battery chan 1 or 2 or 3+4 or anything along those lines then assign the sound to the chan you picked. As i said im not sure how acid handles vsti's but i will look into it for you and see if i can figure out a little more info.

Battery and mpc

im sorry but i just purchased an mpc and im trying to get the battery to recognize the mpc pads when i trigger them. can anyone walk me thru the steps? im running a mac mini, protools 8, battery 3.0, mpc200xl and the midisport usb cable. peace

Back