using fl studio 5 just as a sequencer, just as good as cubase,sonar then right?

machinewave

I have been using fruity loops for a long time. Since version 2 came out. Now all I use it for is the sequencer. I use a lot of vst's and master everything in cool edit.
I dont use there sounds, effects or synths. I just got a used copy of cubase sx 3 and have been trying to figure it out.
Would it make any sense to switch over now to cubase or should I stay with fruity loops. People always talk crap about fruity loops, but the real reason why is because too many people use there cheesy sounds, but using it JUST as a sequencer would be about the same as any sequencer right?
So, is there anything that sonar, cubase, logic etc would be better at than what I'm using.

Well fruityloops is a good sequencer for its price, but it can't be compared to Cubase or Logic if you want to use external hardware. You cannot ''plug and play'' with fruity loops, the exeternal recording is just ****. But if you want to use only vst's and samples, man fruityloops is made for you. But lately i've started to use FL and Reason together, Fl as a sequencer and Reason for all its sounds, because I can't afford yet to have a good midi controller (mine is not synchronized and I have latency problems) so with Rewire I have only the goods of 2 powerfull software. A powerfull sequencer and an extremely good all-in-one studio, with that you do whatever you want.

Man fruityloops owns. Nobody ever gives it credit i think its to do with the name. Ofcourse you get cheesey sounds when you download the crack version besides your suppost to use plugins wich are compatible for everything. Heres a little secret lots of producers use loops in the industry. If you want a midi interface you only have 2 chocies Nuendo or pro tools you wouldnt use a sequencer for that unless your a noob.

Many people, most, well just about all people will tell you that PT is not the best for midi sequencing at all.

Nuendo is way overkill for midi sequencing.

Cubase SX3 is way way more capable than FL when it comes to sequencing.

There's no reason why you can't use FL just because you're using Cubase. FL can work rewired to Cubase and can also be used as a vsti within Cubase.

I use FL as a drum sampler nowadays. Once you get the hand of Cubase, it's more capable than FL for sequencing and the workflow is way better.

FL is good, but it has nothing on SX3.

f2die said:
Man fruityloops owns. Nobody ever gives it credit i think its to do with the name. Ofcourse you get cheesey sounds when you download the crack version besides your suppost to use plugins wich are compatible for everything. Heres a little secret lots of producers use loops in the industry. If you want a midi interface you only have 2 chocies Nuendo or pro tools you wouldnt use a sequencer for that unless your a noob.

Ignorance at it's best...

f2die said:
7000 posts? You must talk crap about everything and anything

I'm using this post to give you a warning.:)

Please watch your conduct.

I don't see how my post, or other posts are talking about crap.

whats wrong with that? I never swore and i still have the right to free speech? I dont use fruity loops i just dont understand why people knock it. Its great for the beginner and lots of producers use it.

breakd0wn said:
Well fruityloops is a good sequencer for its price, but it can't be compared to Cubase or Logic if you want to use external hardware.

Sure you can. I'm using Cubase SX3, but I used FL Studio for over 5 years. It can sequence my Motif Rack Es, record it's midi and audio track at the same time, or one or the other. FL can send master sync timing so the Motif syncs to it. Is it as serious about all of this as Cubase, no way, but then, neither is Sonar in my opinion.

breakd0wn said:
You cannot ''plug and play'' with fruity loops, the exeternal recording is just ****.

Another area where FL is not very serious. The audio recording is there, it works, it sounds fine, but it's far from what you find in any standard audio sequencing application.

breakd0wn said:
But if you want to use only vst's and samples, man fruityloops is made for you.

Again, FL does all the above, but not on the level of Cubase. For example, FL needs to be "setup" to handle modwheel where this is natural and given in any other sequencer. In Cubase, I find that there are features and options on various VST plugins which I never knew existed while using FL. With Hypersonic, the knobs and faders on my midi keyboard control a lot of parameters in Hypersonic if I'm using Cubase, but no response with FL. Same with my Motif Rack Es. FL is still very good with VST's but there are things that it doesn't support and things that need to be setup up over and over, like Modhweel. You have to set it up for each instrument using a midi out, and if you want to use it on a different instrument, you have to set it up again. It only works for one instrument at a time.

What's good about FL is that it has plenty tricks up it's sleeve that not even Cubase has or anything else. It's ridiculously light on system resources while Cubase is the exact opposite. It's a very nice program but in the end, I needed a more fluid workflow and less workarounds. Cubase was the best of "most" worlds for me, but it's not the best of all worlds.

sleepy said:

FL is good, but it has nothing on SX3.

Well, it does have "something" on SX3. I was saying in the post above that it has plenty tricks up it's sleeve that you won't find in any other application. Cubase SX3 is my weapon of choice, but making that move from various soft studios including FL to SX3 was not an easy decision. If FL3 were a Porsche, then SX3 would be a Tour Bus. FL3 is fast and incredibly light on system resources. SX3 is like a great lumbering beast. It sucks down more system resources just to get it open than for FL to sequence a number of tracks. It's heavy and the bigger the project, the longer it takes not only to open, but also to close the project. Projects involving Reason via rewire and SX3 are just impossible for me and my machine is not old. Athlon64 3200 based machine with 1 Gig Ram. Steinberg MI4 audio interface with flawless 2ms latency for midi and audio. But SX3 and Reason together put a hurting on it. The same project with Sonar and Reason is no problem at all. This system resource thing is in my opinion the biggest problem that Cubase has and needs the most attention. Then there's the dongle. If I put it in the wrong USB port, Cubase constantly doesn't recognize it being there and I have to pull it out and put it back in. I absolutely hate this. If I lose the dongle, I just lost Cubase, period. If I break the dongle, I have to buy a new dongle. I doubt seriously if I will be taking it anywhere with me because I'm too afraid of damaging it or losing it. Still, it's my favorite sequencer because for the most part, it's closest to the way I like working. Most of it's operations are so simple that it requires no reading of a manual. And lastly, Yamaha Studio Manager which allows Total Recall for projects involving Cubase SX3 and my new Motif ES Rack. Just last night I finally got it all setup properly so it works properly. When I open up a song that used sounds from the Motif, all the Motif's sounds and settings are recalled just like VST instruments and FX. That's serious right there. When I turn the knobs in the Studio manager's various controls, you can see the knobs and stuff move in the Motif's little window. I don't think any other sequencer is able to do this right now. Not even Nuendo but it will soon.

LOL. There I go again writing books.

f2die said:
whats wrong with that? I never swore and i still have the right to free speech? I dont use fruity loops i just dont understand why people knock it. Its great for the beginner and lots of producers use it.

This is a privately-owned forum. The owner of this forum sets forth certain rules to be followed. The owner of the forum also would rather have people conduct themselves in a manner that helps others and does not insult other people. So you do not have the right to free speech. Just as you have the right to set the rules in your own home and act upon them to your discretion, the same applies to this online forum.

I didn't "knock" FL, I am an FL user and have been since version 3.

L. A. Stone said:

Well, it does have "something" on SX3. I was saying in the post above that it has plenty tricks up it's sleeve that you won't find in any other application. Cubase SX3 is my weapon of choice, but making that move from various soft studios including FL to SX3 was not an easy decision. If FL3 were a Porsche, then SX3 would be a Tour Bus. FL3 is fast and incredibly light on system resources. SX3 is like a great lumbering beast. It sucks down more system resources just to get it open than for FL to sequence a number of tracks. It's heavy and the bigger the project, the longer it takes not only to open, but also to close the project. Projects involving Reason via rewire and SX3 are just impossible for me and my machine is not old. Athlon64 3200 based machine with 1 Gig Ram. Steinberg MI4 audio interface with flawless 2ms latency for midi and audio. But SX3 and Reason together put a hurting on it. The same project with Sonar and Reason is no problem at all. This system resource thing is in my opinion the biggest problem that Cubase has and needs the most attention. Then there's the dongle. If I put it in the wrong USB port, Cubase constantly doesn't recognize it being there and I have to pull it out and put it back in. I absolutely hate this. If I lose the dongle, I just lost Cubase, period. If I break the dongle, I have to buy a new dongle. I doubt seriously if I will be taking it anywhere with me because I'm too afraid of damaging it or losing it. Still, it's my favorite sequencer because for the most part, it's closest to the way I like working. Most of it's operations are so simple that it requires no reading of a manual. And lastly, Yamaha Studio Manager which allows Total Recall for projects involving Cubase SX3 and my new Motif ES Rack. Just last night I finally got it all setup properly so it works properly. When I open up a song that used sounds from the Motif, all the Motif's sounds and settings are recalled just like VST instruments and FX. That's serious right there. When I turn the knobs in the Studio manager's various controls, you can see the knobs and stuff move in the Motif's little window. I don't think any other sequencer is able to do this right now. Not even Nuendo but it will soon.

LOL. There I go again writing books.

I agree that FL has its place. A good place at that. But regarding functionality SX has it beat (stating the obvious). It's individual preference when answering the topic on whether other sequencers would be "better" than FL. FL is better in certain aspects, but in the long run it has a couple of shortcomings.

I'm on SX2 and I agree with you, Cubase is a hog. But it's worth it to me.;)

Yeah i guess so. This aint the real world where you can just smack sombody up. Im used to the Ogrish forums. Id like to hear some of your music though.Got any links?I love the bay area style i mean your from SF hope thats what your doing.

Back