Turntable Recording Issue...Frustrating

boygenious

Ok. This is a difficult question to ask not for personal reasons but because i don't know how to work it. So here goes my best shot. Im using a lexicon Lambda interface and was trying to record into my computer (sound forge then FL then cubase)from my turntable. BUT i cant get full sound and by this i mean i cant get it to come in stereo nor will it sound like the actual recording I get the equivilent of it sounding like im in the next room the sound is hollow. I am using a cheap cable from my table to computer could this be the problem. And sorry if this is confusing but this is the best i cant word it. Just think of listening to your mp3 player with the headphone jack half way out and thats how it sounds no matter what.

Do you have a amplifier between the turntable and the interface? Or does the turntable have a built in preamp? If not, then this is most likely your problem. You're recording (and listening) to a non-amplified source.

Do you have a amplifier between the turntable and the interface? Or does the turntable have a built in preamp? If not, then this is most likely your problem. You're recording (and listening) to a non-amplified source.

yeah, most turntables need preamp. normally output would be in phono you connect it to a phono to line dj mixer or any hi-fi amplifier, but from what i understand the input in your interface might be in line level. or you could be in mic input...dunnu how to put it though from the info you gave. but you can try these:

turntable (phono out) to dj mixer or amplifier (phono in) = from dj mixer or amplifier (line out or master out) to interface (line input) make sure the interface is set to line-level...

yeah, most turntables need preamp. normally output would be in phono you connect it to a phono to line dj mixer or any hi-fi amplifier, but from what i understand the input in your interface might be in line level. or you could be in mic input...dunnu how to put it though from the info you gave. but you can try these:

turntable (phono out) to dj mixer or amplifier (phono in) = from dj mixer or amplifier (line out or master out) to interface (line input) make sure the interface is set to line-level...

You can also connect the turnable to a home theatre receiver if you have one. It will also act as an amplifier. Turntable audio out to home theatre audio in (usually cd in, dvd in, aux in). Hope this helps.

Wook

Bingo. Or you got ur L/R cables reversed. More than likely the first one though.

Probably should just go buy a low end DJ mixer for 100 or 150 dollars if you plan on doing a lot of sampling.

Last edited:
Back