Rewire Vs Bouncing To Disk Sound Quality Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Good explanation.

I'll still do it myself sometime probably to see what's popping.

Let me repeat myself though - I said I take your word for it. There probably is a difference in sound. No need to get worked up. But it doesn't ultimately mean that its a better or worse sound doing it either way.

i did my part

true...

let it go though...

#1: all cats are gonna wanna do is try to "poke holes" in your demonstration video...

#2: cats are also gonna just choose "sides" based on WHO said opposite to what you said.

#3: and lastly, cats ain't gonna change their workflows...even if there is a "better" way...

true...

let it go though...

#1: all cats are gonna wanna do is try to "poke holes" in your demonstration video...

#2: cats are also gonna just choose "sides" based on WHO said opposite to what you said.

#3: and lastly, cats ain't gonna change their workflows...even if there is a "better" way...

lol sad but true

Ok. Good explanation.

I'll still do it myself sometime probably to see what's popping.

Let me repeat myself though - I said I take your word for it. There probably is a difference in sound. No need to get worked up. But it doesn't ultimately mean that its a better or worse sound doing it either way.

allright man i getcha. sorry, im just like wow, what do people want me to do? i already went out of my way and put my ideas to the test. if i was wrong i would have still posted the video.

imo the sound quality is degraded just working in reason standalone maybe i should have made that clear. maybe you dont lose any quality bouncing. but i DO know as soon as you connect your sounds to the rewire your sound quality jumps. and this is the reason why im arguing rewiring is better. theres just no way to get that ultra quality using reason standalone. when you bounce your gonna get the **** quality from the reason engine

I think that in your Pro Tools file, when you rewired it you shouldn't have deleted the mixer in Reason. Give that a try and see if it nulls it.

Also, I think that you should export the Pro Tools file and open both the Reason and Pro Tools file in another audio editor like Sound Forge (someone already mentioned this) and see what results you get from that.

I have no problem believing that what you say is true. I never use Reason's export, but Reason's audio engine and Pro Tools audio engine are different. Reason uses a 32 bit floating point engine, and Pro Tools uses a 48 bit fixed point engine so a slight difference may be visable on a null test, but once again, it all depends on who is using the program and what they are doing with it. I think that you can get decent results with both, and that's really all it's about.

FWIW, I use the export functions of Live and Sonar and they are both 64 bit floating point engines so a null test with Reason and Pro Tools and one of my sequencers probably wouldn't flatline either.

Last edited:
I think that in your Pro Tools file, when you rewired it you shouldn't have deleted the mixer in Reason. Give that a try and see if it nulls it.

Also, I think that you should export the Pro Tools file and open both the Reason and Pro Tools file in another audio editor like Sound Forge (someone already mentioned this) and see what results you get from that.

I have no problem believing that what you say is true. I never use Reason's export, but Reason's audio engine and Pro Tools audio engine are different. Reason uses a 32 bit floating point engine, and Pro Tools uses a 48 bit fixed point engine so a slight difference may be visable on a null test, but once again, it all depends on who is using the program and what they are doing with it. I think that you can get decent results with both, and that's really all it's about.

FWIW, I use the export functions of Live and Sonar and they are both 64 bit floating point engines so a null test with Reason and Pro Tools and one of my sequencers probably wouldn't flatline either.

ok i might try another test with the mixer, and now that im thinking about it - that may be the problem.

but when i rewire i always bypass the mixer, and i hear that is the proper way to rewire. there is only 1 stereo send out of a 14 channel mixer, so using the mixer during rewire is useless.

600px-Reason_back_of_subtractor_connected_to_mixer.png

So...let's get this straight. You can't make a song in reason without using the mixer. But for testing purposes, you can track one instrument directly out like you did when you put it in Pro tools. And again...in the manual it says the 14:2 mixer curves freqs since Reason 2.5 for "better sound"(note the quotes) and you have the option of turning it off.

One of us apparently had the time to make a vid. the other doesn't seem to care.

Now you getting all emotional when the 1st thing I said in my post was I wasn't trying to argue, just telling you where flaws could occur in your test.

I don't have time to be childish and go back and forth with you over flawed attempt at fact when I don't give a fucc long as my sh*t knock. You redo the test or feel victorious for doing nothing. Neither choice you make effects me. I shoulda never typed logic into the thread and let the stupid be led by the incompitent.

I can't say I got documents to state I know much, I don't even got a diploma from high school(just a G.E.D.)but one thing I am is a certified engineer who mixes professional tracks for retail release. I didn't say you were "wrong", I said your test is flawed therefore it proves nothing. You so bent on proving people wrong(that was your intent since you cme in here calling folk out), you redo the test and prove it to them. I care no which way what the outcome is honestly.

Soona as you add vocals, effects, and mastering to your final project it's gonna sound "different" regardless.

:cheers:

Last edited:
when i rewire i always bypass the mixer, and i hear that is the proper way to rewire. there is only 1 stereo send out of a 14 channel mixer, so using the mixer during rewire is useless.

EXACTLY...

not to worry...your test environment is being set up properly and executed well.

So...let's get this straight. You can't make a song in reason without using the mixer. But for testing purposes, you can track on instrument directly out like you did when you put it in Pro tools. And again...in the manual it says the 14:2 mixer curves freqs since Reason 2.5 for "better sound"(note the quotes) and you have the option of turning it off.

One of us apparently had the time to make a vid. the other doesn't seem to care.

Now you getting all emotional when the 1st thing I said in my post was I wasn't trying to argue, just telling you where flaws could occur in your test.

I don't have time to be childish and go back and forth with you over flawed attempt at fact when I don't give a fucc long as my sh*t knock. You redo the test or feel victorious for doing nothing. Neither choice you make effects me. I shoulda never typed logic into the thread and let the stupid be led by the incompitent.

I can't say I got documents to state I know much, I don't even got a diploma from high school(just a G.E.D.)but one thing I am is a certified engineer who mixes professional tracks for retail release. I didn't say you were "wrong", I said you test is flaws therefore it proves nothing. You so bent on proving people wrong(that was your intent since you cme in here calling folk out), you redo the test and prove it to them. I care no which way what the outcome is honestly.

Soona as you add vocals, effects, and mastering to your final project it's gonna sound "different" regardless.

:cheers:

nah man thats where your wrong i just ****ted on you. with my vid. its your turn now buddy

The is useless in some Rewire conditions, except in this situation where you are trying to determine if there is a loss in sound quality.

Remember, the remix mixer does colorize the sound somewhat. It was terrible originally, that why there is a switch on the back that determines the eq quality.

Last edited:
^^^You just dykride ignorance, of course you missed it.
if ANYONE here thinks im wrong. PROVE ME WRONG. i just uploaded a video.

theres a difference, you dont gotta be a dick about it. so it wasnt the most scientific test.

i did the test more for myself than to prove it to yall, i wanted to see if there really was a diff. there is a difference my friend. you dont like it, why dont you upload your own video so i can DEBUNK it just like your trying to do to mine.

Y'all win, you guys are way too smart for me. I'm wrong. :cheers:

Last edited:
I've heard the difference with the mixer in both situations so I know it's the Reason engine. And I didn't do a test when I heard it that can result in some sudo test results. I heard it when I wasn't expecting it. That's how I noticed it so dramatically.

It's just like the time I heard the difference between the MBox2 D/A converters compared to the M-Audio Firewire 410 D/A converters. I wasn't doing a test. We were working on a song and just decided to play with the 410 we had lying around and the first time I played the track back I heard it. We didn't even say anything to each other. We just looked at each other in shock as soon as we hit play.

There is a difference and i know that propellerhead knows about it, but they would NEVER go on record saying so. That would be suicide.

Also realize that most people can't hear the difference because they have ears that are not as trained or have bad playback situations. That should be the biggest topic in determining the reality of this.

I've heard the difference with the mixer in both situations so I know it's the Reason engine. And I didn't do a test when I heard it that can result in some sudo test results. I heard it when I wasn't expecting it. That's how I noticed it so dramatically.

It's just like the time I heard the difference between the MBox2 D/A converters compared to the M-Audio Firewire 410 D/A converters. I wasn't doing a test. We were working on a song and just decided to play with the 410 we had lying around and the first time I played the track back I heard it. We didn't even say anything to each other. We just looked at each other in shock as soon as we hit play.

There is a difference and i know that propellerhead knows about it, but they would NEVER go on record saying so. That would be suicide.

Also realize that most people can't hear the difference because they have ears that are not as trained or have bad playback situations. That should be the biggest topic in determining the reality of this.

yeah i think thats why they dont publicize it, most people cant hear the difference anyway. but when your working on music all day every day, of course your gonna hear a difference. its just like the difference between mp3 and wav, we can hear it, but most poelpe cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back