Records SSL Mixing Tested

Now I was a beta testing for Record. I wasn't moved by it cuz Pro Tools editing hand down wins.

Now for that SSL...bah..bah...bah. Brother you can get the same effect using PT stock reverb and delay.

Record is for Reason user without a DAW. Why you think there's no midi out.

Protools mixer is not touching records mixer and there stock reverbs is no way in comparison to the rv7000, i have pro tools its good as far as audio editing but midi editing in is not touching record/reason. Its good for audio i'll give you that but i come from the era where you record till you get it right.now if want to do extensive audio editing i'll use pro tools or logic but i personally feel that sound quality out the box record wins hands down without the use of 3rd party plugins which most people usually rely on.

i dont want to start a whole record vs pro tools debate but i agree with cash daily.

record has nothing i dont already have. i can get the same effects/better workflow in pro tools without having to learn a brand new program, and the sound quality of the demo track didnt floor me...

i have heard some opinions on gearslutz and i think someone with a pretty respectable resume said something to the effect of "the record ssl doesn't even come close to the waves ssl plugs"

danoc and mrgibbs im not trying to start a big debate, if you guys like it thats great. not for me.

Well i never try to force people to use it. If you have your setup that works for you that's cool. Its all love over here i have several different workflows.but i have to disagree with the waves plugins being better than records i have both and i've used them both side by side. I think record has a slight edge over them and uses wayyyyyyyy less cpu power.if i were to run a g channel on 40 tracks in logic or pro tools my computer would easly slow down.

my computer was barely fast enough for the demo song. record was more cpu hungry than i thought

but your right those waves plugs take up a lot of resources.

id like to see a side by side comparison.

Record to me is not cpu hungry at all now were you running the current demo or beta test version because the beta test version had several bugs that have been corrected.

Now I was a beta testing for Record. I wasn't moved by it cuz Pro Tools editing hand down wins.

Now for that SSL...bah..bah...bah. Brother you can get the same effect using PT stock reverb and delay.

Record is for Reason user without a DAW. Why you think there's no midi out.

Well Cash I agree PT is mean on the editing, but Reason/Record is lovely on the editing too. As a matter of fact I thought they copied some of PT's style, and I have no complaints! The midi editing was great since 2.5, and PT just got their midi right in 8. I still have 7.4 so ummm come again? Editing is as good as one has knowledge of editing.

My brother I don't know who you been talking to but there is no mixing board in software on this planet this day messing with Record's mixing module. You can't even Compare PT, Logic or any other program mixer to Record's mixer. That's like trying to compare an analog 4 track Tascam mixer with hiss in it to the SSL 9000K hard desk! I don't even wanna mix in PT anymore.

:bigeyes: Stock reverbs in PT? ARE GARBAGE! I went and got Breverb and use TL Space, the stock reverbs is not great in PT. The RV7000 is so hot when it was selling as a solo reverb it was $499! There is to much flexibility with the RV7000, you can bring other algorithms from real hardware like the M6000, or the PCM 90 up into it. It definitely have more parameters on it and sounds much better. Since I got PT when it was 6.0 I never used the stock reverbs. So I don't know where you got your info from but your wrong!

ADC, man listen, Record doesn't have to worry about latency either, and Digi never solved that and probably never will!

Brother yes Record is for Reason, but you said if you don't have a DAW? There is no rules to what a person should and can not have. I have both and PT. Again I use PT when I am producing with the MPC. I use Protools also when I take a stereo track from Record and use the VST from Powercore MX5 on the finalized mix. I don't make beats up in PT, it's not well equipted with the sequencer, REason/REcord has the next best sequencer to the MPC. I really don't care for a midi out, though I do think they should put it in, but it is what it is.

Instead of debating all over again, I was really showing that it's not garbage not all of what you said. I wanted to really talk to those who are using it their experience and how they are loving it. You're using Reason, so why are you beefing?

I use to use Reason and PT, now I just use Record. :)

i have heard some opinions on gearslutz and i think someone with a pretty respectable resume said something to the effect of "the record ssl doesn't even come close to the waves ssl plugs"
Which is why it isn't endorsed by or liscensed by SSL. I don't know why they keep calling it an SSL. I don't doubt that it sounds good and I like the layout and agree that it's way more productive than the Reason mixer. I just don't feel like I need to go away from Sonar and dive into Record. If it was endorsed by SSL and could compete with the waves plugins or could hold it's own against the XLogic stuff I would consider it. Then again the R&D and testing required for liscensing by SSL would put Record right out of the current price range.

Which is why it isn't endorsed by or liscensed by SSL. I don't know why they keep calling it an SSL. I don't doubt that it sounds good and I like the layout and agree that it's way more productive than the Reason mixer. I just don't feel like I need to go away from Sonar and dive into Record. If it was endorsed by SSL and could compete with the waves plugins or could hold it's own against the XLogic stuff I would consider it. Then again the R&D and testing required for liscensing by SSL would put Record right out of the current price range.
props never said it was ssl mixer they said it was modeled from the ssl mixer and they did wonderful job doing it. and it can hold its own against waves ssl i know becaues i have both. the waves ssl plugin is my favorite 3rd party plugin and when i first tried record on my reason track i was amazed at the quality compared to rewiring my tracks in pro tools/logic using using eh waves plugsins. i heard a better sound to my ears. and technically its all in the user plus i dont like my the over taxing of my cpu what's funny most people who knock record haven't used it for more than a month to fully understand its true power.

Last edited:
I know that. People don't look at the disclaimer though, and I hear a lot of "it sounds just like an SSL" when that's not true. It's misleading and they shouldn't have put that on there. It would still work and sound just as good without name dropping to try and authenticate their stuff. They're not the only ones to do that but, most of the arguments over Record wouldn't exist without it. That's the first thing everybody focuses in on and taken by itself I think Record is a great program. It's not for me but, I have recommended it to several people already that asked my opinion on a good DAW to start producing with. I like it I'm just already invested elsewhere.

It does not sound identical to a ssl mixing console but the design and layout is very identical, almost matches completely, and the sound of record is amazing the mixer is the biggest deal with record because there is no other daw that has mixer like it without using 3rd party software

I agree I really like that everything is right there and it's laid out logically if you're used to hardware you're like a fish to water in it. Still, I'm already invested over a couple stacks in Sonar and other VST's so I'm staying home. I wish they would've come out with this 2 years ago I would've been all about it.

Also, you're talking to a dude that never upgraded from Reason 3 because I didn't see the upside.

Wow the sequencer alone was worth the upgrade for me the sequencer reminds me so much of the mpc sequencer.

^ I rewire and sequence in Sonar anyhow. I mainly bought Reason cause I really liked the Drums and Pianos refills. Also at the time I was using Sonar 6 and needed to be able to manipulate .rex files. I upgraded to Sonar8 last winter and before you go on about synths I already have PsynII, PentagonI, Rapture, Z3TA, Omnisphere, Dimension Pro, Andromeda A6 plus the Reason 3 stuff and random free synths. I'm synth'd out and have no interest in Thor I got what I need already. I'm cool mayne. I'm a recovering gearaholic on the hardware side, I don't need to relapse on software.

I only read part of the thread and I'll say this...

I trust DaNoc's ear... if you don't, listen to his music (even after .mp3 conversions, your soundcard, etc are involved)... it will sound more clear than yours.

I'm cool with mastering in Samplitude though. If this Props product is revolutionary... jump on it early. As a young beatmaker, I didn't think sound quality mattered - just the song and content... as I've grown, it matters a lot!

Bro who said you had to leave Sonar? :confused: This thread is to show some clarity about the mixing board. You claim you don't wan't people callin it the SSL board, then what should we call it the 14:2?:confused:

This thread was posted to show again some sonic qualities of the board, from a person who use it everyday, ME. It wasn't about trying to tell people they should use this. Plus those who use record to share their experiences. Not those that don't have the full blown version and keep yappin about it for no reason because they aren't even using it. If Sonar is good for you, fine, have fun and stay blessed.

You know how I know Record is a hit? No matter what you can start out positive and the same people keep saying the same thing and it blows up the thread!

^ I rewire and sequence in Sonar anyhow. I mainly bought Reason cause I really liked the Drums and Pianos refills. Also at the time I was using Sonar 6 and needed to be able to manipulate .rex files. I upgraded to Sonar8 last winter and before you go on about synths I already have PsynII, PentagonI, Rapture, Z3TA, Omnisphere, Dimension Pro, Andromeda A6 plus the Reason 3 stuff and random free synths. I'm synth'd out and have no interest in Thor I got what I need already. I'm cool mayne. I'm a recovering gearaholic on the hardware side, I don't need to relapse on software.

I hear what you're saying, you don't wanna move from where you are, that's understandable. Me, I jumped ship because I know and now understand I have a complete Rig for my setup. Being I never made a beat in PT, it doesn't bother me, I always loved Reason now Record, it's off the chain and I love it more. Right now Record is PT to Reason. The editing in Record is wonderful to say the least. I can handle volume control inside the clip just liftin the line, I mean everything is laid out. Right now I am in the most comfortable place I have been in 15 years! I have been doing and studying music since 94, I play piano and I mix, drum program etc. I have mastered the MPC, dudes didn't even know you can do automation in the MPC2000xl until I showed them. Dudes thought they needed the MPC3000 or 60 II to get that grit sound when I showed them you can acheive that on the MPC2000xl. So when REcord came into the picture three aspects I looked at very carefully.

1. The Mixing console, modeled after the SSL 9000K, which I call it the SSL mixer, if it looks like it has knobs like it, sound like, smell like and SSL board it's an SSL board to ME.

2. The phenomenal time stretch, when I heard how that worked I almost peed in my pants! :bigeyes:

3. You can Record now and I could bring in my hardware and I have done it, now all my hardware can be recorded into Record :)

Everything is is extra, the line 6 GTR joint and the ID8, are dope azz pieces. I used Strings from the ID8 for my RnB group they are loving that sound. They did not fall short. That's my VST's right there and guarantee they and Line 6 will come with more and more modules and sounds! I have the combinator, with hundreds of refills and different skins, NNXT, Rex, Redrum and that fat azz mixing board to compliment my ear. Bust this a lot of people don't understand I AM MIXING IN MY FREAKIN HEAD PHONES! The Sennheiser 600 HD's not my speakers! I even thought about doing a duzzy to use the VSTs in Record and I said to myself why spend mo money when I can just finish the track then take over to PT and whatever VSTs I want to use, use them then, and that works for me.

So being how I use to work going from the MPC to PT and back, now I can stay in one Place and just kill the track and have a board that I know will hold me down with clarity. So if you love your Sonar setup I understand and you don't have to jump ship, but why knock if I jumped ship and praise Props for Record? I have shown people in the major studios this programs, dudes immediately called Sam Ash and ordered, right in front of my face! I have installed and consulted a couple of people with Record and showed them how to use it because they had Reason. So bro it's all a blessing for me. NOw I am stable and so confident and it's putting me in a good position.:cheers:

The thing is I have figured out three ways I can produce my music,
1. MPC to PT
2. PT using Omnisphere synth with the help of RMX
3. Reason/Record

So I am real happy right now, and I have what I need to do what I need to do.

Last edited:
Back