"Reason" Vs "FL Studio" Sound Quality....What Do You Think?...

Beatz R Us

wuts good fp fam?.....i started makin beats in 2002 on Fl Studio, But i switched to "Reason" in about 2006 and have been using it every since.....but i was getting tired of using tha same refills, so i decided to make a beat in "Fl Studio" today and use vsts....The beat was ok but when i exported it and listened to it, the sound quality just wasnt as crisp as wouldve been in "Reason"....i dont know if its just me or if im just tripping...lol..wut do u think?

wasnt trying to have a mixing battle...lol...i just wanted to see if there wuz any tips for mixing in fl.....i know how to use eq's and compressors, but for some reason "FL" doesnt give me that crisp, clean sound...

A lot of Reason's sound is due to the Default Mastering Suite and what have you. FL Studio's stuff is typically rawer and requires that you actually MIX it and add some mastering effects to it.

Here's what you do: Make the same track in Reason and FL Studio. Mix them both, and see what you come up with. Let us know what you did to each and then we can discuss.

I don't really understand this topic either..
It's like a Stick, and an Automatic.. You operate them differntly, but traffic rules got everybody doing the exact same shit..

................................ I'v used both!

It's like a Stick, and an Automatic.. You operate them differntly, but traffic rules got everybody doing the exact same shit..

One of the best analogies I've heard on this topic.

From another point of view, the genres that I worked with in FL sound the same as they do now using Ableton. The only difference is the workflow and how well you mix in your chosen software.

I challenge any Reason user to a "mixing contest'...I'm using FL. We'll settle this topic title once and for all.

The thing about that is that if your track ends up sounding better... it still wouldnt neccesarily be saying FL studio sounds "Better" than Reason...it would be saying that you have "Better" mixing abilities than the Reason User that challenges you.

Last edited:
well can anyone give me some tips for mixing in FL?...or maybe even a mixer preset?...

Nope. You need to learn how to mix, fam. Put the work in. Mixing in FL isn't any different than mixing anywhere else, aside from the look of it. I'd venture off and say it's way easier than anything else I've used. What you need to embrace are the concepts behind mixing. You need to know what a good mix sounds like (listen to some Michael Jackson's 80s and early 90s albums all had great mixing, Dr. Dre 2001, Scarface's Untouchable and Last of a Dying Breed albums, Kanye West's MBDTF. All Good albums to reference good mixes off of. Classical music too. A lot of Rock has good mixes. Get a book and read up on mixing because they're going to give you the dos and don'ts, like mixing too loud or having your speakers positioned incorrectly, or using the wrong speakers or tweaked up headphones. You gotta do it the long, hard, way. There are no shortcuts to mixing.

FL STooodioooo!

For real though, I've used Reason AND Pro Tools, Sonar, earlier versions o Cakewalk, Acid, I f*s with Cool Edit strong (pre Audition, old school *shrug*)...

FL Studio has the fastest [FOR ME] workflow setup EVER... I can't come unglued from it. Couple thousand sounds and some VSTs later, shabaam.

(For the sake o conversation) I mean for me the Windows-style browsing is too much. I come online, cop some VSTs here, some sounds here n there, samples, kits etc., it's done for. But I'm being a lil biased, from learning on FL though. I used to think you could only record in certain DAWs and produce in others lol.

If you put the effort into it, you can get that sound outta FL. It might take a while if you're new to this. You actually have to know the difference first, then know how to GET that sound. That radio, CD quality that people used to talk about alot more. I've gotten to the point where I can slap different compressor FX on a song and hear the differences between them... hell, I think I've learned more about mixing in the last year than ever before, and I'm falling in love with the FL mixer. Damn thing's incredible, feels like playtime.

Drop the faders, raise em one by one... Throw the *slap* on the drums, cut highs, lows, mids... Chorus effects, phasers, EQ, reverb, delays... then the *sound* FX come in... whoa I get amped thinkin about it -

A lot of Reason's sound is due to the Default Mastering Suite and what have you. FL Studio's stuff is typically rawer and requires that you actually MIX it and add some mastering effects to it.

Here's what you do: Make the same track in Reason and FL Studio. Mix them both, and see what you come up with. Let us know what you did to each and then we can discuss.

Co-sign.

I used FL for like 3.5 years, switched to maschine and right off the bat it was like night and day. Everything just sounded fatter and bigger.

Think of shit this got damn way. When your computer is off you have no music playing....no quality....none of that shit. You turn on your computer and fire up FL......with no sounds loaded........it kinda sounds the same way as the computer off...don't it? Sound selection is your quailty. Don't go grabbing for plugins that saturate a sound when the sound you are using is already full of it.......it's common sense stuff like that. "Oh, I got an ssl compressor" but the sound you are using was ran through a real one for your person use....plus you might not know what the hell you are doing. I ain't shit......don't listen to me.

My thoughts..
FL and Reason do things much differently. Somebody said here that FL is much more Raw and that's exactly it. If you notice on reason there is the obvious Mastering Suite, But also you might notice that most of the sounds are already pre-compressed, pre-Eq'd with effects Etc.
I think that if you look at the back of the rack, you will be able to drop down all of the hidden effects on the instrument.

Back