Reason and FL (Sound Quality)

rando

Okay, I copped some new headphones from GC (Sennheiser HD212's) and I hooked those suckers into my computer's line out and was ready to jam.

Then I get in FL and the sound is lower than usual, so I start thinking there is something wrong with my soundcard. (I even made a thread about the problem).

I thought is was my soundcard, cause before I bought the headphones, I ran my computer to my stereo and I did think it was odd, that I had to turn my stereo knob up kinda high when in FL, but I just thought nothin of it.

Now I have discovered it's not my soundcard cause I just opened up the Reason DEMO while on my new headphones and it's crystal clear and loud enough for me to hear and errrrthang sounds crisp in it!!!! :mad:

I open up FL and the sound quality is low and bad through my headphones/stereo etc......the drums and stuff sound detuned and ish!!!!

I open up the Reason DEMO on the same headphones/stereo the synths/drums sound crisp and fresh!!!!

This incident just made me more against my own religion---FL Studio

Reason sounds like it's going through analougue circuitry (hardware)......while FL just sounds like 1's and 0's.

SMH SMH SMH!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It's a well known fact that Reasons Mixing engine has a buildt in sound heater, while FL introduces a brand new sound degrader.

It's absolutely not about what FX you use and stuff. No way. sheesh..

Last edited:
I know I could use effects, but that justs takes up more CPU on my suck computer.....while in reason they just sound crisp lol.

I'm not gonna answer again in this kind of threads. No way! Oh wait....Damn. :(

hey dude...stop drinking all that kool-aid and learn a little about audio before posting such nonsense. Sequencers all mix the same and will produce the same results. Getting a good sound is an art having to do with equalisation, compression, and other mastering methods - not the factless nonsense that your spittin...FL Studio is a great DAW and can produce excellent quality tracks...it all has to do with the person working the controls...:cool:

Tech-Dek said:
hey dude...stop drinking all that kool-aid and learn a little about audio before posting such nonsense. Sequencers all mix the same and will produce the same results. Getting a good sound is an art having to do with equalisation, compression, and other mastering methods - not the factless nonsense that your spittin...FL Studio is a great DAW and can produce excellent quality tracks...it all has to do with the person working the controls...:cool:

you use fruity loops dont you

clarhck5 said:
you use fruity loops dont you
lol. But what does that have to do with the trueness of what he wrote? (putting the kool-aid comment aside)

Last edited:
Yeah.. I use FL Studio....I also use Sonar 6:PE, MOTU Digital Performer, Reason 3, Ableton Live 5.....before I really knew about audio I thought FL was a amature DAW that couldn't produce quality tracks...after reading and learning more about production I found out thats not true....

I am just trying to give people who read this post facts instead of opinions and someones view of Reason compared to FL thats complete poopoo.....both Reason and FL are great programs and someone new or not familiar with audio and production might get the wrong information from these type of posts...since audio is not visual there are lots of myths about it. I am not trying to dis you homie...I would just recommend you learn more about what you are saying. Any experienced producer or engineer will debate your statements.. ..peace....

Last edited by a moderator:
Even more facts. :)
I don't exactly know what it is, but why is it people who apreciate (note: do not hate on) FL know the facts better than..... I better stop.
I should start a study about that phenomenon somewhen in the future.

Last edited:
Tech-Dek said:
Yeah.. I use FL Studio....I also use Sonar 6:PE, MOTU Digital Performer, Reason 3, Ableton Live 5.....before I really knew about audio I thought FL was a amature DAW that couldn't produce quality tracks...after reading and learning more about production I found out thats not true....

I am just trying to give people who read this post facts instead of opinions and someones view of Reason compared to FL thats complete poopoo.....both Reason and FL are great programs and someone new or not familiar with audio and production might get the wrong information from these type of posts...since audio is not visual there are lots of myths about it. I am not trying to dis you homie...I would just recommend you learn more about what you are saying. Any experienced producer or engineer will debate your statements.. ..peace....

Man speaks the truth, They are ALL the same thing. They sequence YOUR music, thats it. Just getting better with music will make you music sound better. If anyone tells you different, they are trying to sell you something. Dont buy into the idea that Product A is better than Product B. Its all marketing Rando. I have FL 7 and have use the Demo of Reason, I cannot tell the difference between them. THEY SOUND THE SAME BECAUSE I AM USING THEM. Folks always trying to boost one product over another, THE MUSIC IS IN YOU.

and thats all I got to say about that *goes to make more music*

Marol aka Marshall Oliver

and for those that wanna hear some music I made, hit up the link
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197646

Marol said:
Man speaks the truth, They are ALL the same thing. They sequence YOUR music, thats it. Just getting better with music will make you music sound better. If anyone tells you different, they are trying to sell you something. Dont buy into the idea that Product A is better than Product B. Its all marketing Rando. I have FL 7 and have use the Demo of Reason, I cannot tell the difference between them. THEY SOUND THE SAME BECAUSE I AM USING THEM. Folks always trying to boost one product over another, THE MUSIC IS IN YOU.

and thats all I got to say about that *goes to make more music*

Marol aka Marshall Oliver

and for those that wanna hear some music I made, hit up the link
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197646

You are right to a point. Sonar 6 uses a 64 bit floating point double precision engine. Most other DAWS us a 32 bit point floating point engine. I believe Pro Tools HD/TDM systems use a 48 bit fixed point engine.

So, are they all the same???

The answer is no. Absolutely not!!!!!

Can you make a professional quality song with either of the programs?

Yes. With some know how, you can make pro-quality music with any of the programs.

For what it's worth, I was referring only to mixing in this reply.

Mastering is an entirely different story.

They are so far exactly the same because they actually really are exactly the same. The added bitdepth is only responsible for lowering quantization noise/errors. 32bitFP mixing though already has practically no noise at all.
64bit 'mixing engines' looks good on paper. It's just marketing.

Back